Standing Ovation for Thome?

watchtower41

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
And he will do his usual strikeout looking while shaking his head walking back to the dugout.

Thome is much more likely to K on a high fastball with a swing that blows the hat off some people in the first few rows.

No reason not to give Thome a standing O

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
No offense, but I just don't think Thome really had much of a lasting effect on this team. In fact, I think he hindered the team more than he helped it.

He only spent 4 seasons here, and all he really did was hit a home run in game 163 in 2008. It's not like he was a home-grown talent like Buehrle, Crede, Rowand, or even Frank Thomas. And it's not like he was a 2005 post-season MVP like Jermaine Dye. In fact, I think Jermaine Dye deserves a more thunderous applause from the fans than Thome if Dye ever returns with another team.

Also, to the casual fans, I don't really think Thome had much of a lasting effect. I remember seeing nothing but Thome t-shirts at stores because people didn't really want a Thome shirt. I think Thome's influence with the Sox is a little more exagerated by die-hard fans than it really was with the casual fans as a whole.

Jim Thome is the one of the most under-appreciated White Sox of all time. He hindered the team? Look at the numbers. He has the top 2 homer totals for a lefty in team history. He was a good player for the Sox. It wouldn't upset me if he didn't get a standing ovation, but it would be silly if he was booed. I never understood the Thome bashing.

Sox fans and the organization generally be to classy about these things.

Frank, Crede, Thome, etc. all have gotten standing O's and the club has acknowledged them.

I remember last year, the second Twins game, some and elderly man wearing a Twins hat started saying "Come on, Joe. They never appreciate you like we do."

A couple Sox fans in the area (I was one of them) got mad with this guy, and told him to shut up. The guy instead switched to cheering for Mauer, which is way more appropriate.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
I will be cheering him on, and even stand up and clap if he hits a HR vs. us, just like I did with Crede.

Are you a Twins fan? That was my most embarrassing moment as a Sox fan....people standing up and cheering after Joe Crede goes yard against us in a Twins uniform. There's not a game that goes by where I don't hear "Crede would have had that", IMO most overrated player in White Sox history.