Standing Ovation for Thome?

watchtower41

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
Obviously we are not Cleveland fans, and I certainly don't expect boos, but are you expecting an overly-generous ovation? Standing? Along the same lines, do you expect the Sox to do something special on the scoreboard. Should be interesting... let's not hope he beats Danksy tonight.

For sure standing O...dude is nothing but class. Then lets watch Danks 'K' him 3 times.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
For sure standing O...dude is nothing but class. Then lets watch Danks 'K' him 3 times.

And he will do his usual strikeout looking while shaking his head walking back to the dugout.

I was there for Frank Thomas' first game back as an A, and not only did he get thunderous applause, he hit a homer which everybody cheered.

When he did it a second time though, we booed him.

I'm sure he was smiling. Expect the same for Thome.

I'd probably give him a cheer the first time he came up, but I don't know about a standing O like Big Frank received. There is so much nostalgia towards Thome cause hes such a good guy, but he only played four years here past his prime, hit one huge homer, but its not like we had any major success when he was here.

No offense, but I just don't think Thome really had much of a lasting effect on this team. In fact, I think he hindered the team more than he helped it.

He only spent 4 seasons here, and all he really did was hit a home run in game 163 in 2008. It's not like he was a home-grown talent like Buehrle, Crede, Rowand, or even Frank Thomas. And it's not like he was a 2005 post-season MVP like Jermaine Dye. In fact, I think Jermaine Dye deserves a more thunderous applause from the fans than Thome if Dye ever returns with another team.

Also, to the casual fans, I don't really think Thome had much of a lasting effect. I remember seeing nothing but Thome t-shirts at stores because people didn't really want a Thome shirt. I think Thome's influence with the Sox is a little more exagerated by die-hard fans than it really was with the casual fans as a whole.

Anyone that boos Thome tonight should be booing Ozzie, since Thome actively wanted to come back to Chicago (for almost nothing financially, too). The only reason he isn't here right now is because Ozzie preferred the "versatility" that a scrub DH would provide the team, and Thome shouldn't be faulted for that. He's a class act and deserves to be treated as such.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
In fact, I think he hindered the team more than he helped it.

Yes, he hurt our team by hitting the s*** out of the ball :huh:

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
I hope he doesn't play at all tonight. I wouldn't want to see cheering for him in a big pinch hit situation. First AB on Saturday, absolutely.

He might not play Fri or Sun with the Sox throwing lefties