Cowley jousted verbally

Princess Dye

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
The Score 670 says they'll be playing the audio soon

Supposedly it gets very testy. It's about whether or not Toronto should have baseball.

They shouldn't, I actually agree with Cowley.

Why not? Because Rogers Centre was empty the other day? So were a lot of other stadiums.

I actually like the Blue Jays much better than anyone else in the AL East. And I really like Cito Gaston. I wanted him to manage the Sox when Manuel got fired... He was actually the front runner before Ozwald came along, wasn't he?

The more I hear from cowley, the less I want to. I kinda wish he'd just go away.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
Why not? Because Rogers Centre was empty the other day? So were a lot of other stadiums.

I actually like the Blue Jays much better than anyone else in the AL East. And I really like Cito Gaston. I wanted him to manage the Sox when Manuel got fired... He was actually the front runner before Ozwald came along, wasn't he?

The more I hear from cowley, the less I want to. I kinda wish he'd just go away.

It was empty for a whole 3 days and then some more.

I don't really think it is Cowley's duty to start this smear campaign against Canadian baseball. Who knows if the Jays will still be there in ten years anyway.

An off the cuff comment is ok and maybe a bit humerous, but the level he is taking it is almost bush league.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
Supposedly he has been on this anti-Canada thing for almost 10 years now. Such as not putting Carlos Delgado on his MVP ballot, the year he finished second overall. He slams Canada every chance he gets.

Here is the story about Cowley's Canadian vendetta.

http://sportsbybrooks.com/joe-is-there-som...o-tell-us-28212

I remember back in 2002 when MLB selected the Twins and the Expos for elimination when Peter Gammons said that the White Sox should be disbanded instead. How did you all feel about that? I know how I felt and still feel. Peter Gammons and the rest of the Boston Red Cub Nation can kiss by ***.

Joe Cowley deserved that.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
They had only 10k fans for an indoor game last night when there's no Maple Leafs game or any other sporting event going on.

This is a team that started 6-2 and is still above .500 now.

It's also a fanbase that has languished behind the Yankees and Red Sox for >15 years now and who had their team's equivalent of Mark Buehrle dealt for prospects in the offseason.

If you're contracting the Blue Jays, you have to take the Orioles too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
It's also a fanbase that has languished behind the Yankees and Red Sox for >15 years now and who had their team's equivalent of Mark Buehrle dealt for prospects in the offseason.

If you're contracting the Blue Jays, you have to take the Orioles too.

The Pirates have finished higher than 27th in attendance only once since 2002 and that year they were 22nd. The team is 7-5, drew only 13,860 fans yesterday, 14,000 on friday night and is still 24th in attendance this year, why haven't we contracted them?

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
They had only 10k fans for an indoor game last night when there's no Maple Leafs game or any other sporting event going on.

This is a team that started 6-2 and is still above .500 now.

I really don't think it should shock anyone that the 3 teams not from NY or Boston in the AL East have trouble drawing.Its pretty hard to convince a fanbase you have much of a chance. TB obviously has had a little more success lately but they were down for so long, its going to take a lot more to build up the base.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
The Pirates have finished higher than 27th in attendance only once since 2002 and that year they were 22nd. The team is 7-5, drew only 13,860 fans yesterday, 14,000 on friday night and is still 24th in attendance this year, why haven't we contracted them?

The only difference for the Pirates is that they're not staring up at the Yankees/Red Sox.

I don't think any of these teams ought to be contracted. If the Rays prove anything, it's that you can build a competitive team in the AL East if you're smart about how you do so. It's a little harder on the Jays/Orioles than it is on the Pirates/Royals, but it's management issues/silly contracts that have killed attendence.

The one worry for baseball as a whole is that these decades at the bottom really do make a fan base start to atrophy, such that they're not going to come back every year once you turn things in the right direction.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
I really don't think it should shock anyone that the 3 teams not from NY or Boston in the AL East have trouble drawing.Its pretty hard to convince a fanbase you have much of a chance. TB obviously has had a little more success lately but they were down for so long, its going to take a lot more to build up the base.

Out of sheer boredom, any team should pull 15k at minimum.

It's going to be very tough for most teams without big budgets to compete with the Yankees and RedSox.

Have the economics of baseball created a chronic problem in the AL East?

I have a novel solution... move the Mets and Phillies into the AL East... and the Orioles and Blue Jays to the NL East.

Let the budget Titans duke it out in one division.

I'm half kidding... but something may eventually have to be done in the AL East if the other teams have no chance of competing year after year.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
It's going to be very tough for most teams without big budgets to compete with the Yankees and RedSox.

Have the economics of baseball created a chronic problem in the AL East?

I have a novel solution... move the Mets and Phillies into the AL East... and the Orioles and Blue Jays to the NL East.

Let the budget Titans duke it out in one division.

I'm half kidding... but something may eventually may have to be done in the AL East if the other teams have no chance of competing year after year.

Actually one of the realignment ideas has to do with revenue. You would be in the same division as economic peers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 06:23 PM)
Actually one of the realignment ideas has to do with revenue. You would be in the same division as economic peers.

Then the rest of the league would be complaining about how they couldn't compete with the Rays.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
Then the rest of the league would be complaining about how they couldn't compete with the Rays.

I think most of the Rays better players will be playing for different teams in a couple of years unless they get a new park, and publicly financed ballparks are or at least should be out of the question at this time.

Toronto has drawn in the past. Will they ever again is a good question, but throw a team out there every year that you know cannot win, and they will not draw. If the White Sox had no chance to contend, how many people do you think would be at the game tonight? Should the NHL moved out of Chicago when the Hawks didn't draw and couldn't fill the place up halfway when they gave out free tickets?

Edited by Dick Allen