Arizona requires you to carry your papers

Balta1701

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Ok, this thread's grown by 4 pages, and I'm reading through. But, the police have to have someone detailed and can't just stop someone based on finding out their citizenship.

See my responses to JIMB earlier. Its not about getting to the suspicion part that is the real problem. Its what happens after that.

It really isn't so much having non resident aliens and tourists holding onto their papers that bothers me, I always had my FM3 (green card kind of thing) and passport with me when I was working in Mexico. It is the cloud of suspicion over citizens who looks like they may be an illegal having to keep their papers.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/27/arizo...dex.html?hpt=T2

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Arizona tourism industry is concerned about calls for a boycott of the state
  • Lawmaker asks organizations not to book conferences until immigration law is reversed
  • Arizona hosted more than 37 million domestic and international visitors in 2008
  • They spent $18.5 billion and generated $1.4 billion in local and state tax revenues
~

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 06:16 AM)
Mexico issues travel alert over new law

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100428/ap_on_..._us_immigration

So this brings up an interesting question. How is a cop supposed to know the difference between a tourist who shows a passport or visa, and an illegal alien who shows the same thing? They have no way of checking their status through customs, without having a customs agent present. That's another potential problem here.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
Arrest 'em all and let God...er, INS sort 'em out!

It hasn't been the INS in years. It's ICE, ever since the INS was rolled into the DHS and combined with the BCIS by the 2002 HSA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 07:33 AM)
So this brings up an interesting question. How is a cop supposed to know the difference between a tourist who shows a passport or visa, and an illegal alien who shows the same thing? They have no way of checking their status through customs, without having a customs agent present. That's another potential problem here.

If they have a passport and VISA they are not here illegally. Just boosting our tourism dollars. This area is a ghost town without Mexican Nationals and the hundreds of millions of dollars they pump into our local economy.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
If they have a passport and VISA they are not here illegally. Just boosting our tourism dollars. This area is a ghost town without Mexican Nationals and the hundreds of millions of dollars they pump into our local economy.

And if they leave those documents safely stored in their hotel room safe, they get deported.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
Yes, but we all know the numerous ways they accomplish that. Burnt out taillight, tinted windows, etc.

Cars are a bad example because you have to have a valid driver's license or passport (if not a US citizen) to drive here legally. So if you can't show ID, you get arrested, the police figure out the guy is illegally in the US without breaking any law.

The issue is more problematic when talking about the average guy on the street.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)

Visa, that is valid? Yes. Passport? Not necessarily, if they can't check it through the immigration systems. And last I know, cops ont he street don't have passport scanners on the MCATs. They'd have to call INS or whomever.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Cars are a bad example because you have to have a valid driver's license or passport (if not a US citizen) to drive here legally. So if you can't show ID, you get arrested, the police figure out the guy is illegally in the US without breaking any law.

The issue is more problematic when talking about the average guy on the street.

I can't wait until there's a police officer working security at some MLB spring training game and either Ozzie or one of his sons winds up deported.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
Visa, that is valid? Yes. Passport? Not necessarily, if they can't check it through the immigration systems. And last I know, cops ont he street don't have passport scanners on the MCATs. They'd have to call INS or whomever.

It won't go that far. For example, under the Immigration Reform and Control Act, employers are only required to check citizenship documents to determine if they are facially valid. The document need only reasonably appear to be valid on its face. That's about as far as any police officer should be required to go.

Husband of a high school friend (devout Tea Partier and rabid Obama/democrat hater) just posted this on facebook: Who knew Arzona was the common since state.

Sadly, this was one of his better spelled posts.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
Husband of a high school friend (devout Tea Partier and rabid Obama/democrat hater) just posted this on facebook: Who knew Arzona was the common since state.

Sadly, this was one of his better spelled posts.

They probably hired him to make some signs for the protests.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
It won't go that far. For example, under the Immigration Reform and Control Act, employers are only required to check citizenship documents to determine if they are facially valid. The document need only reasonably appear to be valid on its face. That's about as far as any police officer should be required to go.

But think about the lawsuit provision here. If there's anything in the state or national laws that suggests a police officer has to go farther and doesn't, that's a lawsuit opening.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)

That's sort of my point. If it can't go further than that, what does a cop do, if he is presented with what appears to be a valid passport or other ID? He should really do nothing more, but the way the law is written, they are pushing for something more, that is intrusive and impractical.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
That's sort of my point. If it can't go further than that, what does a cop do, if he is presented with what appears to be a valid passport or other ID? He should really do nothing more, but the way the law is written, they are pushing for something more, that is intrusive and impractical.

And they can be potentially sued if they don't push for more.

“I think we should catch ’em, we should document ’em, make sure we know where they are and where they are going. I actually support micro-chipping them. I can micro-chip my dog so I can find it. Why can’t I micro-chip an illegal?"
Pat Bertroche, Republican congressional candidate from Iowa.