Anyone ever take a job in another state?

BigSqwert

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
I'd assume salaries aren't as high as Chicago's.

My understanding of salaries from one city to another is largely based on job position and company size. An exec for a large multi-state company based out of St. Louis probably makes the same as if it were based out of chicago. But a checkout clerk at Toys R Us would make less in St. Louis.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
I'm in the interview process for a position out of state (Portland, OR) and I'm starting to get a little nervous that I might get an offer. There's so many things that I'd need to take care of since we own a house.

Has anyone been through this before?

What if I can't sell my house before I leave? Do I rent it for the time being? Do I drop the price significantly just to sell it? What if the sale price doesn't cover what I still owe? What the heck is a short sale? How do I find a place to live in the other city without flying back and forth several times and dishing out a boatload of $$ (Assuming I just get an apartment for the 1st year or 2). Anyone with experience moving your stuff across the country? What's the best way to handle that?

Thanks in advance.

Will this job in Portland require you to travel to an island to conduct fertility research?

Sqwert,

I moved to Vegas almost 2 years ago.

Part of the reason I was willing to was because my company took care of everything...they paid to move all my things, including my car and they paid me a moving stipend of like $6k on top of that. Everything went extremely smooth except that my car took a little longer to get there than I would have liked.

I did a lot of research on housing and thought I had a great place all picked out until I went to look at it when I came in for my interview. It was a nice place, but the location is something I never would have chosen had I actually lived in the area. So luckily, I found that out when I went to look at it and started looking in a different area. Ultimately, the second place (the place I live now) turned out to be just what I thought it would be and I moved in there. But I would be extremely hesitant to sign any lease without seeing the place and the surrounding area first in person.

As for the rest of it, you're just taking a huge leap. Research the weather, the city, the local industries and businesses...that will give you an idea of what the people there are probably like. But you really won't know til you get there and live there for a while how you're going to like it.

That being said, nearly everyone I talk to says Portland is an amazing city and somewhere they would love to move. It seems like a great place for you.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
Sqwert,

I moved to Vegas almost 2 years ago.

Part of the reason I was willing to was because my company took care of everything...they paid to move all my things, including my car and they paid me a moving stipend of like $6k on top of that. Everything went extremely smooth except that my car took a little longer to get there than I would have liked.

I did a lot of research on housing and thought I had a great place all picked out until I went to look at it when I came in for my interview. It was a nice place, but the location is something I never would have chosen had I actually lived in the area. So luckily, I found that out when I went to look at it and started looking in a different area. Ultimately, the second place (the place I live now) turned out to be just what I thought it would be and I moved in there. But I would be extremely hesitant to sign any lease without seeing the place and the surrounding area first in person.

As for the rest of it, you're just taking a huge leap. Research the weather, the city, the local industries and businesses...that will give you an idea of what the people there are probably like. But you really won't know til you get there and live there for a while how you're going to like it.

That being said, nearly everyone I talk to says Portland is an amazing city and somewhere they would love to move. It seems like a great place for you.

Did you move from Chicago? What were the moving expenses ultimately if you don't mind me asking?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
Did you move from Chicago? What were the moving expenses ultimately if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, I moved from Chicago.

I have no idea what the moving expenses were...they paid for everything themselves, and I have no idea what the "stipend" was actually supposed to cover. I basically was able to pocket the entire thing.

My guess would be $1kish for the car and $3-4kish for all my stuff? But I am a single guy, so I didn't have all the things you and your wife had...I wouldn't get too caught up in the moving...

This is a lifestyle and life-changing decision for you primarily. If you really want to do it, don't let the money hold you back. You can always make more money. What is important is that you and your wife are happy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
Yes, I moved from Chicago.

I have no idea what the moving expenses were...they paid for everything themselves, and I have no idea what the "stipend" was actually supposed to cover. I basically was able to pocket the entire thing.

My guess would be $1kish for the car and $3-4kish for all my stuff? But I am a single guy, so I didn't have all the things you and your wife had...I wouldn't get too caught up in the moving...

This is a lifestyle and life-changing decision for you primarily. If you really want to do it, don't let the money hold you back. You can always make more money. What is important is that you and your wife are happy.

I hear you but like most Americans these days we don't have a ton of savings. Having a $5K or greater moving expense and having to potentially pay our current mortgage on top of our new rent in Portland in case we have trouble selling our place could be crippling. Just weighing the pros and cons right now.

And what if my wife struggles to find a job there?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
I'm in the interview process for a position out of state (Portland, OR) and I'm starting to get a little nervous that I might get an offer. There's so many things that I'd need to take care of since we own a house.

What if I can't sell my house before I leave? Do I rent it for the time being? Do I drop the price significantly just to sell it? What if the sale price doesn't cover what I still owe? What the heck is a short sale? How do I find a place to live in the other city without flying back and forth several times and dishing out a boatload of $$ (Assuming I just get an apartment for the 1st year or 2). Anyone with experience moving your stuff across the country? What's the best way to handle that?

Thanks in advance.

I did. That's how I got to Texas.

First off, many of these questions may or may not be part of your hiring package. I was lucky and the company wanted me bad enough to pay many of the moving expenses.

See following:

I'm in the interview process for a position out of state (Portland, OR) and I'm starting to get a little nervous that I might get an offer. Congratulations. There's so many things that I'd need to take care of since we own a house. This will be an incredibly stressful period.

What if I can't sell my house before I leave? You have to think about if you can afford two places until the house sells. Consider if somene you know would be willing to rent the house until it sells.

Do I rent it for the time being? Being an absentee landlord is about the worse situation to be in. What happens when the water heater fails and they want it repaired? Collecting rent that falls past due?

Do I drop the price significantly just to sell it? Only if you can afford it. What if the sale price doesn't cover what I still owe? You have to pay the bank the difference to complete the sale. What the heck is a short sale? When you are in danger of defaulting on a mortage, sometimes the mortgage company will accept less than what you owe to get out from under the loan.

How do I find a place to live in the other city without flying back and forth several times and dishing out a boatload of $$ (Assuming I just get an apartment for the 1st year or 2). Find an excellent realtor and ask around at your new company.

Anyone with experience moving your stuff across the country? What's the best way to handle that? Depends on how much money you have to move. I stood back and touched nothing while professional movers packed up all my stuff. 15 years ago it cost almost $12,000 for the move. Another new hiree accepted $9,000, did it himself, and made $5,000. I wish I knew to ask for that deal.

Your HR department should be skilled in answering these questions. Ask them what relocation assistance they provide. If you want I can PM my number and you can give me a call. There is so much more.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
I hear you but like most Americans these days we don't have a ton of savings. Having a $5K or greater moving expense and having to potentially pay our current mortgage on top of our new rent in Portland in case we have trouble selling our place could be crippling. Just weighing the pros and cons right now.

Will they give you a window of time to try and sell your house?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)

FWIW, that's more than I paid to move to Tennessee from CA by a fair amount. I'd say I spent $6000 when you include things like buying new appliances, all of the hotels, a few nice meals, and a couple nights in Vegas. But that was for a 1 bedroom apt.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
I'd probably stick with the pros when moving. The wife and I have accumulated some pretty nice furnishings over the years and I'd hate to wind up damaging any of it.

That will be true for most of the better moving companies. There are some s***ty employees.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 06:00 AM)
That will be true for most of the better moving companies. There are some s***ty employees.

Agreed, I would point out faults on how they were packing stuff and tell them its going to break in the truck, then of course when we open the back again its broken and the guy wanted me to share blame with him. Movers arent smart or exactly great people, about half of the guys I worked with were nice and actually cared about the customer, the other half were lazy SOBs who couldnt get any other job and just did what was quickest.

Lets just say, that once this one guy left for grad school I was considered the smartest employee at the company (behind the managers, and even then I could take them pretty easily) and was given solo long distance moves because I could handle the paperwork. Some of those guys couldnt do any math whatsoever.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
Higher income/property tax? :huh

Both. Property taxes are extremely high.

If you're a renter, there is no rent control. Every single year your rent will increase regardless of the condition of the place, the size, the location, the crime, etc. There is also no telling how much they will increase it.

Having lived there for two years (I came back to Chicago a month ago and ship out in 2 months), the rent control is one of my only two problems with the city. The other is the rain, but it only comes in the winter months and it is better than bitter cold wind and snow.

It sounds like you're interested in the city, and I have no advice to offer for your questions, but Portland, in my opinion, is the best city in the United States. Don't expect to find any good beef, though, I'm not sure you even eat that. For a healthy lifestyle, it doesn't really get any better. Every weekend is the farmers market, and there are several of them all over the city, where the local farmers come in and sell their goods.

The state itself is great as well. As far as nature, there is everything but a tropical rainforest. There is a rainforest, though. Just no neon frogs and jaguars there. The beach is about two hours away and has a fun little town. Mt. Hood is good skiing. The salmon run in the Hood River is cool to watch.

And if you like some mary-jane... enjoy.