What has Obama done that you liked?

NorthSideSox72

Back in like 2007, I started a thread about W of this same ilk. Many GOP'ers were complaining that the Dems, or otherwise anti-Bush crowd, were simply disagreeing with everything Bush did, and making it out to be cartoonishly stupid, unable to show any sort of objectivity. So I asked what the anti-Bush crowd actually DID like that Bush had done. I challenged everyone to try to come up with at least one or two, even if they despised him.

This is much earlier in the administration (1 year and 3-4 months) for Obama, but, I wanted to try the same thing. What have you see Obama do, or be a major part of, that you agreed with? I am particularly interested in responses from people who tend to bash Obama a lot. Can you find something?

Discuss...

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 3, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
For those that need some help picking, here is what Answers.com says he has doen so far.

LOL. great list. Especially a fan of "Returning science to its rightful place," (really?) "Forge [sic] a meaningful statement from the United Nations" criticizing North Korea's launch of a ballistic missile" (oh! never been done before), "Diminishing the role of lobbyists in the White House" (what? really? when?), and "Engaging world leaders in Europe, Turkey, Latin American and the Caribbean with "strength and humility." (hilarious).

So far I've liked:

credit card legislation

timetable on Iraq

lifting ban on stem cell research

green energy (would prefer more but ANY movement in that direction is better than none)

Things I haven't liked:

ecomic stimulus

auto bailout

healthcare "reform"

more troops to Afhganistan

failure to provide any meaningful financial reform despite promising to do so. 1.5 years later and STILL waiting for something to be done

overall tendency that govt is better/more efficient/smarter/etc than individuals (and that awful quote - you can make too much money and you have a responsibility to give it back)

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 3, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
LOL. great list. Especially a fan of "Returning science to its rightful place," (really?) "Forge [sic] a meaningful statement from the United Nations" criticizing North Korea's launch of a ballistic missile" (oh! never been done before), "Diminishing the role of lobbyists in the White House" (what? really? when?), and "Engaging world leaders in Europe, Turkey, Latin American and the Caribbean with "strength and humility." (hilarious).

So far I've liked:

credit card legislation

timetable on Iraq

lifting ban on stem cell research

green energy (would prefer more but ANY movement in that direction is better than none)

Things I haven't liked:

ecomic stimulus

auto bailout

healthcare "reform"

more troops to Afhganistan

failure to provide any meaningful financial reform despite promising to do so. 1.5 years later and STILL waiting for something to be done

overall tendency that govt is better/more efficient/smarter/etc than individuals (and that awful quote you can make too much money and you have responsibility to give it back)

Huh?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)

Oh boy, I'm not getting into that farce again.

I guess for me it's Obama's steady hand at the wheel of two wars, and foreign affairs generally.

The appointment of Sotamayor was well handled, and one more judge will be great a few months from now.

Signing nuke deal with Medvedev.

I also tend to think health care reform was a step in the right direction. But I'm not convinced it's going to help reduce the deficit, and the U.S. fiscal situation is not sustainable.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ May 3, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
Lily Ledbetter

Ended the HIV travel restrictions

Really like these two. Especially regarding the latter, it was an incredibly stupid and outdated ban that had no reason continuing, and it was a relief to see it end. There was actually a lot of little things Obama has done that have had big impacts on peoples lives that it's hard to remember because i think it was such common sense.

also:

The movement to end don't ask don't tell.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ May 3, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
Lily Ledbetter

Ended the HIV travel restrictions

Taking a step forward on health care reform

Full funding of Amtrak

A general measured approach to things in an atmosphere that tends to be hyper partisan and screamy.

That too for me.

I'd love to see more of a rail infrastructure in this country. I'm not sure how feasible it will be, but the idea is something I fully support.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 3, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
Really like these two. Especially regarding the latter, it was an incredibly stupid and outdated ban that had no reason continuing, and it was a relief to see it end. There was actually a lot of little things Obama has done that have had big impacts on peoples lives that it's hard to remember because i think it was such common sense.

also:

The movement to end don't ask don't tell.

He's dragging his ass with DADT in my opinion.

b.s. dragging his ass would be if the military was saying "hey let's end it" and obama was saying "nope!"

Just because it takes more than 10 seconds to change it doesn't mean it's being held up.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 4, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
b.s. dragging his ass would be if the military was saying "hey let's end it" and obama was saying "nope!"

Just because it takes more than 10 seconds to change it doesn't mean it's being held up.

Isn't "hey lets end it" a pretty good description of what the military said last time that Congress asked?

It's more than 10 seconds at this point. I think it's pretty clear they're trying to at least slip past the mid-term elections and hope that they can avoid a backlash against them from either side.

From an international's P.O.V, I think he's done a good job at rebuilding America's credibility in the international landscape (and obviously his popularity was a main reason for that).

Ultimately, I think his time in office was be judged on how effective the Health Care Bill ends up being, so we'll have to wait and see on that.

Focusing more on Afghanistan and less on Iraq was obviously a no brainer.

Things seem to be picking up economically now as well which is a good sign.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
Isn't "hey lets end it" a pretty good description of what the military said last time that Congress asked?

It's more than 10 seconds at this point. I think it's pretty clear they're trying to at least slip past the mid-term elections and hope that they can avoid a backlash against them from either side.

Give me a break, they already essentially gutted it. If this 1 year review is enough to satiate some senators while making the program currently meaningless you won't give a f*** in 5 years because it will be over.

BUt considering what it looked like his first year, the Obama admin. has really taken on DADT and the HIV ban.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)

Secretary Gates + Admiral Mullen ≠ military but in any case, as per what President Obama wanted, the leadership made it a lot more difficult to chapter someone out against their will, they can't be outed by a 3rd party as easily, etc. They're laying groundwork, getting the military used to the idea, it's eventually going to happen. It seemed like something a president could just overturn with an executive order, but not really.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 4, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
I see no reason why it hasn't been fully repealed yet. (DADT)

DADT was an act of Congress so to override permanently it would take another act of Congress, and we know after 2009 the Senate isn't really capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time.