Blue Jays @ Sox, 5/6 Game THREAD

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Oh give me a break. Dude had 25 RBI in 2005. It's certainly no guarantee that he will keep up a pace anything like this.

While he obviously isn't the player he is playing like now, he is a better hitter than he was in 2005.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
He also is a much better hitter now. He was great with RISP last season.

There is not enough evidence to suggest that. He suddenly learned to hit at the age of 32?

I love Pods as much as anyone, but he's simply not Rod Carew all the sudden....he'll come back down to earth...

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Pods had a 3 run homer tonight to tie the Royals/Rangers game in the late innings...Us...we can't even get two guys on base...

I'm sure Pierre will have plenty of 3 run homers this season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
There is not enough evidence to suggest that. He suddenly learned to hit at the age of 32?

I love Pods as much as anyone, but he's simply not Rod Carew all the sudden....he'll come back down to earth...

And when he comes back down to earth he will still be better than most of what we have...our guys are BELOW earth. I would love to see what earth looks like.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 6, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
Instead we have Juan Pierre on a MULTI-YEAR contract that he isn't worth.

If only KW's crystal ball wasn't being repaired the day he acquired Pierre, we'd be in a different situation!!

Seriously, comparing career numbers before the Pierre pickup, there is nothing on this green earth that would suggest going with Pods was a better idea than Pierre.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 6, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
If we can't vent and whine after a piss poor performance in here than what's the point of having a message board?

Oh, by all means, vent. But as a person who uses sarcasm quite liberally, when you want to constantly say something negative, sometimes it's far less-annoying to just say what you mean. Your use of sarcasm involves constantly taking shots at others instead of just statinig the obvious.

It's this simple, of our regular starting hitters and pitchers, the following are severely underachieving:

Buehrle, Floyd, Peavy, Beckham, Quentin, AJP, Pierre, Ramirez

Hard to win with so many key players struggling. If you have that many people struggle for such an extended period, it's just not your month/year.

Off topic...

We lose tonight 2-0...would you rather lose like that, or lose the way the Royals are about to?

Down 8-0...come back to lead 11-9, lose lead 11-11, regain lead 12-11, then lose 13-12...

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 7, 2010 -> 03:09 AM)
Off topic...

We lose tonight 2-0...would you rather lose like that, or lose the way the Royals are about to?

Down 8-0...come back to lead 11-9, lose lead 11-11, regain lead 12-11, then lose 13-12...

13-12, no doubt about it. At least that way, you have a lot of players that gain confidence during the game.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
I'm sure Pierre will have plenty of 3 run homers this season.

Oh my goodness. Pods hits a homer once every 90 at bats for his career. That is such a low-rate that it is ridiculous to even consider that as a positive attribute for him.

Honestly, is this what it has come to? We're going to complain about the HUGE power gap between Pierre and Podsednik? For his career, Podsednik slugs at a .010 higher rate that Pierre.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
Oh my goodness. Pods hits a homer once every 90 at bats for his career. That is such a low-rate that it is ridiculous to even consider that as a positive attribute for him.

Honestly, is this what it has come to? We're going to complain about the HUGE power gap between Pierre and Podsednik? For his career, Podsednik slugs at a .010 higher rate that Pierre.

HEY!! You watch your mouth, mister....I'll have you know that Mr. Savior Scott Podsednik has hit 37 (THIRTY-SEVEN) homers in his career. It is clear that he is a power producing leadoff hitter.

Who gives a f*** if our leadoff hitter is or is not hitting home runs? Are we really going to stoop to comparing the HR output of Pods vs. Pierre?? REALLY?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2010 -> 03:14 AM)

You really don't think that Pods has improved his hitting ability by altering his swing and approach? You could see it last year, as he was driving the ball much better than he did in 2005.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
It's this simple, of our regular starting hitters and pitchers, the following are severely underachieving:

Buehrle, Floyd, Peavy, Beckham, Quentin, AJP, Pierre, Ramirez

Hard to win with so many key players struggling. If you have that many people struggle for such an extended period, it's just not your month/year.

Stop making so much sense....

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)

The Royals have 12 runs tonight. I guess Peavy gets more credit for shutting them down?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
The Royals have 12 runs tonight. I guess Peavy gets more credit for shutting them down?

I thought his win against them was incredibly impressive. Just look how their offense looked the following 2 nights.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
You really don't think that Pods has improved his hitting ability by altering his swing and approach? You could see it last year, as he was driving the ball much better than he did in 2005.

I absolutely do. I was advocating giving the guy a 2/$10 deal back in freaking July.

But he's still ultimately a .750-770 OPS outfielder who is an average defender with a poor arm and a terrible base runner. He's not someone who's loss we should be blaming the problems of this offense on.

As you so eloquently stated earlier, the failure of this team stems from the failure of so many of its key components over the same prolonged period of time. Had we re-signed Scotty and never made the trade for Juan Pierre, I would surmise that our offense would still be in the same dismal shape. And our SP would still be underperforming just as badly.

It's INCREDIBLY f***ing easy to take shots at our FO when you make judgments based on hindsight and you use a small sample size.

I can only imagine had we dealt Konerko somehow this offseason what the reaction around here would be...

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
HEY!! You watch your mouth, mister....I'll have you know that Mr. Savior Scott Podsednik has hit 37 (THIRTY-SEVEN) homers in his career. It is clear that he is a power producing leadoff hitter.

Who gives a f*** if our leadoff hitter is or is not hitting home runs? Are we really going to stoop to comparing the HR output of Pods vs. Pierre?? REALLY?

Pods versus Pierre is

cripple_fight.jpg