Blue Jays @ White Sox - 1:05 CSN

Heads22

Replacing Jenks as the closer was a year overdue; but, Ozzie to his credit/detriment is a loyal guy. Because of that, guys like Timo, Jenks, Kotsay, etc. have jobs longer than some people think that they deserve.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ May 9, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
Replacing Jenks as the closer was a year overdue. But, Ozzie to his credit/detriment is a loyal guy. So guys like Timo, Jenks, Kotsay, etc. have jobs longer than some people think that they deserve.

I don't fault Ozzie one second for keeping Jenks as the closer, as he hadn't blown a save yet.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
I don't fault Ozzie one second for keeping Jenks as the closer, as he hadn't blown a save yet.

Still, the writing was on the wall. This entire notion of blowing a "save" is nonsensical. In no other situation is giving up runs acceptable for a reliever. Why it is overlooked because of some silly antiquated statistic in this day and age of data and intense analysis is beyond me. The first managers/GMs to recognize this will be more successful as managers/GMs.

Good for Dallas Braden.

And I thought forsaking the Sox today and going to lunch with my mother would bring me some luck...so much for that.

If it's possible, just looking at the final box-score hurts. I don't think I could feel any worse than if had listened to the game. Looks like we blew this one after apparently battling back.

Nice line for Bobby...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
As bad as the Sox offense has been, they are 8th in the AL in runs scored. They are 11th in the AL in runs allowed and ERA. Where are the Cooper threads?

I think it's more difficult to call Cooper into question because of the infrequency in which most of the guys he coaches actually pitch. You tend to like to give guys multiple chances, and so each starter has only made about 6 starts...each has looked good at least a few outings. Each has looked bad a few outings (even though Johnny has fought through a couple of his with minimal damage).

It isn't quite as apparent as when Walk's guys manage to look horrible several times inside of one ballgame.

But if the starting pitching does continue to struggle, along with some of the bullpen, don't worry, the "FIRE COOPER" threads will come. They never fail to appear.