Official 2010 World Cup Thread

By the way, no one is unpinning this thread. This is the greatest sporting event in the world, imo. And since i own the site, I'll flex my puny muscles on this one.

At this point, the Netherlands are who I'm cheering on. USA is #1, Italy is #2, Netherlands is #3 for me. Reason being, I'm American 1st, Italian/Dutch/English 2nd/3rd/4th.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
Obviously. MLS needs to improve before these players will and should stay longer. I'm just saying it would be nice if the league would be good enough to keep these guys until they are 24 instead of 21 or 22. My point is that these players aren't going to top leagues from MLS. If MLS was good enough to send players straight to a big 4 league, players would be more likely to stay longer. It's definitely a chicken/egg argument. Hard to get the players to stay longer without improving the league, hard to improve the league without keeping the good young talent longer.

Basically the only way you can convince that type of players to stick around is to pay them more money.

So it all comes down to finance basically.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
US midfielders are legit, the strikers, not so much, and it hurt us. I'm still heart broken.

Perfect way of putting it based on everything I've seen in recent years from the US soccer team since I've started following it a lot closer. The midfielders can create chances, but the strikers just can't finish them. Not a succesful formula for winning against good teams, and even moreso when the defense is as shaky as it was in this World Cup.

Looks like MLS is going to consider implementing extra referees and/or review in light of the performance of res in this World Cup.

Ive been trying to figure out why this World Cup has gotten so much attention about reffing, when clearly other World Cups have had equally if not far worse calls. My gut feeling is that because ESPN has been doing so much of the coverage, they are using all of the American style replays (most of the EPL and La Liga games use very limited replay in my experience) and it has been showing just how quickly they can make the right call.

Who knows, but it seems like this World cup is the first time a lot of different countries are seriously talking about different officiating ideas.

I think it's partially because of the continued success of instant replay in our sports. I agree, there have been bad calls in the past, though I'm not sure this many goal deciding calls in the span of a couple days.

As for the replays shown, I know the video during the games is just the global FIFA feed. Afterward ESPN can show whatever they want.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
Whys that?

Dont mind his opinion. He must be bitter since the US won their group and Serbia finished last in their grouping, especially since he said the US shouldnt be involved in anything soccer related.

Altidore's upside is a Luis Fabiano striker IMO.

But that said, he's got a lot of work to do on his overall finishing skills still though.

But the potential with his body size and speed is definitely there.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
Dont mind his opinion. He must be bitter since the US won their group and Serbia finished last in their grouping, especially since he said the US shouldnt be involved in anything soccer related.

Ya, thats what it is. Good call.

Altidore definitely still has potential, but he needs to start showing more than that soon. I wouldn't take the anti-American opinions of SoxFan1 too seriously either though, those are common in international sporting threads and have been for years after tough Serbia losses.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Yes, I'm not an Altidore fan because of "years of tough Serbia losses" even though they have only playing under that name sine 2006.

Hey, that's about as long as I've regularly posted here, and it's been going on that entire time. Four years is a pretty long time when it represent more than 15 percent of your total time on earth like it does for me, although I do admit I don't know the full history of the country you seem to like far more than the one you actually live in.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
Hey, that's about as long as I've regularly posted here, and it's been going on that entire time. Four years is a pretty long time when it represent more than 15 percent of your total time on earth like it does for me, although I do admit I don't know the full history of the country you seem to like far more than the one you actually live in.

Why the f*** does it matter to you who I root for?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
Why the f*** does it matter to you who I root for?

It doesn't, lots of people root for their ancestoral countries in these things. I'm just pointing out that anti-American commentary from you is common, which both make your comments on Altidore easy to ignore, and is also interesting since you live here.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
This is soccer. "Just 20" doesn't apply.

He was one of the youngest players in the entire tournament. How the hell doesn't it apply?

I mean s***, everybody is going gaga over Alexandre Pato (21) and he wasn't even included in Brazil's team.

Pato has had success at Milan already, but Jozy's rights are owned by Villareal. Not exactly a crap club. So it's not just Americans who see something in him.

And you still havent addressed the questions of why.

That Serbia flame out must really be bothering you still.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Altidore's upside is a Luis Fabiano striker IMO.

But that said, he's got a lot of work to do on his overall finishing skills still though.

But the potential with his body size and speed is definitely there.

I dont know if I'd go that far, but you are one of the more informed posters of international soccer here so it's nice seeing that sentiment coming from a non-American.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
It doesn't, lots of people root for their ancestoral countries in these things. I'm just pointing out that anti-American commentary from you is common, which both make your comments on Altidore easy to ignore, and is also interesting since you live here.

But why is it ok for Americans to offer anti-US National team commentary but not him? Because he is also a fan of Serbia?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
He was one of the youngest players in the entire tournament. How the hell doesn't it apply?

I mean s***, everybody is going gaga over Alexandre Pato (21) and he wasn't even included in Brazil's team.

Pato has had success at Milan already, but Jozy's rights are owned by Villareal. Not exactly a crap club. So it's not just Americans who see something in him.

Ya, his rights are owned by Villareal, awesome. He's played only a handful of games there and hasn't scored goal anywhere outside of the MLS.

And again, what does Serbia have to do with anything related to Altidore?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)

Enough with the baiting.

Suspensions will be handed out if this bs continues.