NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
Does anyone think some other group of players will try and unite to form another Superteam?

I would watch out for Jay-Z putting something together with those Nets in the next 1-2 years...

well the stars really aligned well for this, Carmello could be in play next offseason, but Durant is signing a 5 year extension which locks him down for awhile.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
If Lebron went to NYK or Nets, id still really respect him.

Say WHAT? You would respect him more if he chose a crappy franchise where he won't win but will be in the limelight over a franchise where he will win but have less endorsement money? Very odd.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
Yep, i think this is the future of the NBA. This is going to keep happening until somebody puts a stop to it.

There are only so many guys to go around to accept the minimum salary though...:)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
Does anyone think some other group of players will try and unite to form another Superteam?

I would watch out for Jay-Z putting something together with those Nets in the next 1-2 years...

I don't think the next CBA will leave the possibility for anything like this to happen, just because the cap is going to get much, much stronger.

Really? Since the Bulls won their last championship, only 5 other teams have won (LA, BOS, DET, SA, and MIA).

Detroit brought in a bunch of vets to win theirs, Miami brought in Shaq, Mourning, and Payton to win theirs, BOS did the same.

Baseball has 5 different champs the last 5 years, football 5 in the last 6 years, and hockey 5 in the last 5 years. The NBA has only had 7 different champions since 1983 (27 years) and 8 since 1979 (31 years).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
I really thought like it was actually going in a positive direction the last few years. New crop of young stars taking over from the old ones, some of the referee problems from earlier this decade were at least starting to clean up, different teams putting it together, etc.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
Yep, i think this is the future of the NBA. This is going to keep happening until somebody puts a stop to it.

It's going to be a while before you see a free agent class this good again, that was a HUGE factor in making it possible. Yao Ming, AKA Mr. Glass, is the second best free agent next year by a wide margin.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:14 PM)
Say WHAT? You would respect him more if he chose a crappy franchise where he won't win but will be in the limelight over a franchise where he will win but have less endorsement money? Very odd.

I think people would respect his decision to go somewhere to build his own legacy, the way he wants to.

Not that that is the correct basketball decision or career decision, but it shows more stones than pairing up with his all-star buddies from the Olympic team.

If Lebron was as good as I thought he was, he could have won with the Knicks or Nets.

I respect a player who gives up salary so that HIS team can get better.

But Lebron left his home town team in shambles, so he could help WADES team.

How can I respect that if Im a Lebron fan?

Pick a challenge, try and be the first guy to win in NYK, try and play in MJ's shadow.

But just to try and take the easy way out and leave your home team to rot, screw that.

If MJ left the Bulls to play with the Pistons and Isaih Id have lost all respect for him. Its far different when he let Rodman on HIS team so he could win more.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
It's going to be a while before you see a free agent class this good again, that was a HUGE factor in making it possible. Yao Ming, AKA Mr. Glass, is the second best free agent next year by a wide margin.

You know...if this puts any sort of dent in NBA marketing/revenue next year, or in pre-2011 season ticket sales...this just may have made ending the lockout even harder.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
This isn't the first time this has happened though. This Miami thing is just a natural extension of what's been going on in LA and Boston.

And even when LA and Boston built their 3 star teams, other teams thought they had a shot. Boston had to go to 7 games in every series except the finals to win their ring. Boston and LA went to 7 games this year. LA even got a first round scare this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
You know...if this puts any sort of dent in NBA marketing/revenue next year, or in pre-2011 season ticket sales...this just may have made ending the lockout even harder.

I think that's a good point. If season ticket sales go down elsewhere in the league because fans aren't interested in seeing their 7th seed team get their heads knocked in by the tip top teams it could be a real fierce battle amongst the owners as well as between the owners and players.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
Really? Since the Bulls won their last championship, only 5 other teams have won (LA, BOS, DET, SA, and MIA).

Detroit brought in a bunch of vets to win theirs, Miami brought in Shaq, Mourning, and Payton to win theirs, BOS did the same.

Baseball has 5 different champs the last 5 years, football 5 in the last 6 years, and hockey 5 in the last 5 years. The NBA has only had 7 different champions since 1983 (27 years) and 8 since 1979 (31 years).

<!--quoteo(post=2203575:date=Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:58 PM:name=Balta1701)-->

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
<!--quotec-->I really thought like it was actually going in a positive direction the last few years. New crop of young stars taking over from the old ones, some of the referee problems from earlier this decade were at least starting to clean up, different teams putting it together, etc.

ype. three douchebags getting together and decide they will play together, that will only shift the balance of power even more. some teams are just irrelevant nowadays.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)

It could be a long one, especially since the owners aren't exactly helping the "we're poor" argument when they're giving out all of these obscene contracts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
And even when LA and Boston built their 3 star teams, other teams thought they had a shot. Boston had to go to 7 games in every series except the finals to win their ring. Boston and LA went to 7 games this year. LA even got a first round scare this year.

just curious Balta, do you think the Heat are a lock to win the NBA this year? I think that is where we disagree a little, I think they are certainly a great team, but I also think this is far from a sure thing.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
I think that's a good point. If season ticket sales go down elsewhere in the league because fans aren't interested in seeing their 7th seed team get their heads knocked in by the tip top teams it could be a real fierce battle amongst the owners as well as between the owners and players.

And there's probably going to be a contingent of owners (led by JR for all I know) wanting to make sure that this can't happen again.

Plus, think about this...Wade and Bosh coming to town would have been a ticket sales draw. Lebron coming to town would have been a ticket sales draw. Another team near the top of the division would have been a ticket sales draw.

Now, the only team that casual fans would show up to see is the Heat. At the least, that's half the number of "marketable opponent" games that you'd have wound up with if LBJ had gone to NY.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
just curious Balta, do you think the Heat are a lock to win the NBA this year? I think that is where we disagree a little, I think they are certainly a great team, but I also think this is far from a sure thing.

Yes. Between minimum salary players and the fact that they're certain to deal Beasley now to fill another hole, I wouldn't be surprised if 72 wins fell.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
Yes. Between minimum salary players and the fact that they're certain to deal Beasley now to fill another hole, I wouldn't be surprised if 72 wins fell.

OK, I see them in more the 60-65 range and still having to have a raging battle or two in the playoffs.