NBA Offseason Thread

The way Dan Gilbert acted, is the way that Lebron should have acted.

If Bosh really wouldnt have come to Cleveland, Lebron should have told him that hed personally make sure he never won 1 championship.

Where was the heart Lebron?

Being a great one is all about emotion, and you didnt want to make an emotional decision.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Winshares had the trio at 41.1 wins for last season. That means the remaining roster has to make up 30+ wins, no way. Since the regular season is a complete joke, they will get 60 wins, but 72, I doubt it. Wade and Bosh would have to stay healthy and play in at least 80 to do that, and I doubt that happens. They will definitely be a top 3 team in the East, but I don't see them ever achieving 70+ wins.

Hollinger had them at 61 with ten replacement level players and the trio playing 36, 36 and 32 MPG. If they get ANYONE that can put up a PER above 10, that would suggest they might get close.

However, it's far from a lock and the playoffs are another story.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Winshares had the trio at 41.1 wins for last season. That means the remaining roster has to make up 30+ wins, no way. Since the regular season is a complete joke, they will get 60 wins, but 72, I doubt it. Wade and Bosh would have to stay healthy and play in at least 80 to do that, and I doubt that happens. They will definitely be a top 3 team in the East, but I don't see them ever achieving 70+ wins.

Oh bulls***.

Winshares Sminshares.

The problem with statistics like that is they have no ability to measure the cumulative effect of the three playing together. They are also going to make the other guys around them several times better.

Barring injury, that team will win 65 games pretty easily.

If those old farts on the Celtics can do it, I'm pretty certain these guys can do it much, much better.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
I agree with that. Weird use of quotation marks as well....

One tip-off to me was the double-negative "nor never."

Seems like that would have got caught by someone...

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
Hollinger had them at 61 with ten replacement level players and the trio playing 36, 36 and 32 MPG. If they get ANYONE that can put up a PER above 10, that would suggest they might get close.

However, it's far from a lock and the playoffs are another story.

that's my big feeling on this too, there are going to be some bad teams in the NBA during the regular season, but the playoffs are a whole different world

Wait what, people dont believe that is Dan Gilberts letter?

The guy has given Lebron everything over the last 6 years and this is how Lebron treats him? Tells him on national television, not even the damn respect to treat the franchise that would have done anything for him (and probably has) at the beginning of free agency he is bolting.

Gilbert owns a franchise that is on the brink, if you are a Cavs fan this at least has to give you some hope that the team isnt going to sit there and cry about how Lebron broke there heart. But instead will do whatever they can to try and stick Lebron.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)

The guy has given Lebron everything over the last 6 years and this is how Lebron treats him? Tells him on national television, not even the damn respect to treat the franchise that would have done anything for him (and probably has) at the beginning of free agency he is bolting.

Gilbert owns a franchise that is on the brink, if you are a Cavs fan this at least has to give you some hope that the team isnt going to sit there and cry about how Lebron broke there heart. But instead will do whatever they can to try and stick Lebron.

ESPN is picking up the story on the letter right now...

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:35 AM)
If i'm the Cavs i try to cash in on picks for Williams and Jamison. Next years draft is deep enough that you can buld a decent mid-2000 Bulls-esque core and let that team grow together.

Next year's draft is going to be terrible

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
Next year's draft is going to be terrible

who are the top freshmen coming in to even keep an eye on?

wasn't there a guy that's going to Baylor that DePaul people actually thought they had a chance to transfer if they got the Baylor coach? Some stud center?

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
So, you're telling me that if you did nothing but Take Lebron away from Cleveland and Wade away from Miami, they'd only lose 40 wins between the 2?

So Cleveland wouldn't go from being a 60 win team to a 20 win team?

Totally disagree.

Yeah...that's crazy. I love stats, but not all stats are accurate representations of reality. The reality is that 2 of the three best players in the league, one of whom being arguably the greatest basketball player to ever play in the NBA, are on the same team with another top 15 (or 10?) player.

I fully expect they will win more than 72 games next season. It's nausea-inducing but they will arguably be the most talented team to ever play in the NBA. Wade and James are that good. I think the Lakers might be able to beat them, but it will be an upset.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)

He can say whatever he wants to people privately, but that letter was pretty classless.

You have to be the bigger person, especially when you give millions of dollars to kids in their twenties. You have to expect this sort of behavior from them.

For the record, had the big three come to Chicago, LeBron would still be a coward admitting he's not what everybody thought he was the last 7 years. We'd obviously learn to deal with it since it'd be a good deal for the Bulls, but it wouldn't change what he is. I can't say I'd be sitting here ripping on him, but I certainly wouldn't be defending him as some sort of great team player. LeBron admitted that he wants to play the role of Scottie Pippen tonight. That's nice, but it's not a guy in the discussion of all time greatest.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
who are the top freshmen coming in to even keep an eye on?

From an NBA standpoint probably Kyrie Irving, Josh Selby and Harrison Barnes. I've only seen Kanter from Kentucky play once but that kid was a beast in the USA v. World game and took it to Sullinger, Patric Young and the rest of the USA bigs. i don't really see a superstar NBA player in that group though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
From an NBA standpoint probably Kyrie Irving, Josh Selby and Harrison Barnes. I've only seen Kanter from Kentucky play once but that kid was a beast in the USA v. World game and took it to Sullinger, Patric Young and the rest of the USA bigs. i don't really see a superstar NBA player in that group though.

is one of those guys the Baylor guy?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
If i'm the Cavs i try to cash in on picks for Williams and Jamison. Next years draft is deep enough that you can buld a decent mid-2000 Bulls-esque core and let that team grow together.

It doesn't look like THAT good a draft. Granted it's hard to say how good all of the freshmen are, but pretty much everyone that could have left early this year left. Look at the early projections, the top-20 is almost entirely freshmen, foreigners, and guys that weren't that amazing last year like Henson and Plumlee.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
He can say whatever he wants to people privately, but that letter was pretty classless.

You have to be the bigger person, especially when you give millions of dollars to kids in their twenties. You have to expect this sort of behavior from them.

He just lost $200 million to this 25 year old. His franchise might well wind up bankrupt in a couple years because of this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
Harrison Barnes and J. Sullinger

Sullinger is going to be a monster in college but it will be interesting to see how his game translates to the NBA. Good not great athlete who is doesn't have great height for an NBA PF.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)
Sullinger is going to be a monster in college but it will be interesting to see how his game translates to the NBA. Good not great athlete who is doesn't have great height for an NBA PF.

Sounds like Michael Beasley a bit.