NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
He had to know this was going to happen or he is really dumb.

I would replace "dumb" with naive and sheltered, I think he had enough people in his ear telling him that no matter what he opts to do he will be loved by the public.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
Yeah, the owner can't say that. LeBron has no dignity left, but you can't counter it like that.

Sure you can... LeBron dropped a deuce on Cleveland and made it a point to do so on national TV. Leaving in free agency is one thing, LeBron took it to new levels.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:54 AM)
The hour-long televised "decision" was ridiculous. How could anyone have thought that was a good idea. It's funny, I get the impression that Lebron is actually a better dude off the court than Jordan ever was and yet you never saw Jordan's PR team make a mis-step like that. Lebron should hire whomever ran interference for Jordan.

fantastic post

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
I guess Josh Cribbs is going to put up a huge banner in downtown Cleveland saying that he's staying there, and that he's true to his word.

Seriously?

Will it be up this weekend? I'll be there starting tomorrow.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
The hour-long televised "decision" was ridiculous. How could anyone have thought that was a good idea. It's funny, I get the impression that Lebron is actually a better dude off the court than Jordan ever was and yet you never saw Jordan's PR team make a mis-step like that. Lebron should hire whomever ran interference for Jordan.

this is a great point....jordan was unbelievably savvy and smart and knew how to play the media....also the media is a completely different animal today and cant be controlled quite like it was in previous years

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)

even though it's only a little over 10 years since Jordan left the Bulls and the championship run, media has changed so much since then, it's impossible to have that type of protection again IMO

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:55 AM)
The more I hear Chris Bosh talk, the more I respect him.

He comes off as the most intelligent of the three, if you ask me.

don't get suckered, he says what the media wants to hear. He's a real douchebag.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:56 AM)
even though it's only a little over 10 years since Jordan left the Bulls and the championship run, media has changed so much since then, it's impossible to have that type of protection again IMO

Charles Oakley

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)
And there's the cap space they'll need to sign 2 more role players in addition to their minimum guys.

Yea it is just much of a win for Miami. They can now add a PG or a SF. (what Riley wants to do with James is up to him)

Here is the Cav fan board reaction to Dan Gilbert letter:

http://www.cavfanatic.com/go/thread/view/3...m_Dan_Gilbert...

Notice how in Cavs darkest hour hes actually giving them something to be hopeful about.

It was a brilliant move.

It would have been way different if Lebron had class and notified Gilbert first. I think the Cavs at least deserved a phone call from Lebron himself saying "Im not coming back".

Only a coward only calls the team hes going to. That was just bulls***.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
Sure you can... LeBron dropped a deuce on Cleveland and made it a point to do so on national TV. Leaving in free agency is one thing, LeBron took it to new levels.

I thought it was a little over the top. The Cavs fans will LOVE him for it though, so he's going to get good PR for it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
STEIN_LINE_HQ Wolves-Heat deal, sources say, calls for 'Sota to absorb Beasley into cap space and send its 2011 second-round pick to Miami to seal deal

Wolves just got a steal. Former 2 overall never given a chance to really get going in Miami.

I would like that a lot more if they didn't already have like 12 forwards on the roster. Where is he going to play?!?!?!?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
this is a great point....jordan was unbelievably savvy and smart and knew how to play the media....also the media is a completely different animal today and cant be controlled quite like it was in previous years

LeBron's PR man is Maverick f***ing Carter.

This is one of the reason's LeBron is getting hammered from all sides right now.

Stupid.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:00 PM)
Here is the Cav fan board reaction to Dan Gilbert letter:

http://www.cavfanatic.com/go/thread/view/3...m_Dan_Gilbert...

Notice how in Cavs darkest hour hes actually giving them something to be hopeful about.

It was a brilliant move.

It would have been way different if Lebron had class and notified Gilbert first. I think the Cavs at least deserved a phone call from Lebron himself saying "Im not coming back".

Only a coward only calls the team hes going to. That was just bulls***.

I think tonight it is a brilliant move.

I think for the next 10 years it proves to show incredibly poor judgment.

Especially when LeBron is flashing his rings on tv over the next few years and the Cavs still have nothing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 05:00 AM)
I thought it was a little over the top. The Cavs fans will LOVE him for it though, so he's going to get good PR for it.

Yep, it's a great way to get the fans back on your side after I'm sure they were are cursing him an hour ago.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
Can I just say this thread has been amazing for over a week now, and I want to thank everyone involved with it....except for shack, HOW DARE YOU YELL AT ME! You know my wife is giving me hell as it is :P

I agree, it was a real fun thread with a lot of great back and forth

Wow. It still is just crazy. Riley will build around the threesome, don't you all worry. Diesel for the minimum, Beasley shipped off for a pick. They'll build well around the best 3 players to wear one jersey at one time.

You thought Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen was good?

Have we ever SEEN LeBron James without a double team? What about Chris Bosh? We all know what Wade can do when other guys need to be guarded. This team is going to flat out dominate.

The landscape has changed. All this time we thought that LeBron cared about being "The Air Apparent"... hell, the Bulls built their whole marketing campaign around that (and that's where they lost him)... it's not about legacy. LeBron couldn't care less about that. This is about parties, parades, the ESPN Hype machine, etc, etc.

His team of buddies was a terrible idea. They liked the idea of South Beach, and Pat Riley, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh talked LeBron into becoming the biggest villain in the NBA.

Suddenly, Kobe seems worlds better... probably already was.

We're about to witness something completely unique to the NBA... a team hated by everyone... A team that has two superstars and another team's best player, three of the more popular players in the game, and no one cares... we're rooting against them. LeBron just earned boo's in his hometown. His jersey is being burned in the street. This threesome will be booed wherever they go.

And if they somehow miraculously don't win the NBA championship, they'll be the biggest laughingstock of all-time.