NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
Ok, he needs to shut up too. This is going to be such an easy league to not care about.

Ugghh...I know. And I love basketball. I suppose there's college, but the NCAA is pretty disgusting piece of work as far as organizations go....What a great game that is completely dis-serviced by the two most watched venues in which it is played.

I have to admit...if someone can build a team to compete with Miami I'll be interested. The toppling of the dynasty will be a good storyline...unless it takes 10 years for that to happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
How hard is it to say "No"?

Why did he have to say no though? All he did was answer some questions, say where he decided to play, and then answered some more questions.. It wasnt 58 minutes of LeBron hype followed by a closing of where he signed..

The "special" wasnt what I expected.. it was basically the ESPN people talking it up, then it was LeBron and some guy for a few minutes and he pretty much came right out and said where he signed.. and then it was ESPN again..

Honestly, I really thought it was gonna be an hour long show where he didnt say until the last few minutes.. but to me it just seemed like it was ESPN who pushed for this the most.. not LeBron like I had originally thought

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
Man I am gettin tired of seeing people bash him for not "sticking" it out in Cleveland..

Gimme a break, he was there for seven years and they never put anything around him to get that team a ring.. I don't feel bad for them one bit..

Its absurd to sit here and say he should have stayed in Cleveland and tried to win championships there when he has no control over the roster and how their money is spent..

and secondly, if he would have signed with the Bulls no one would be saying anything about him right now.. but because he signed with Wade and Bosh hes some villain.. I don't get it..

and just to toss this out there, but the contract details aren't even done yet and LeBron himself has already said all three of them are going to be taking less money to make this thing work.. if all of them are only making 15 million next season that's still going to give them what, like 13 million to play with and fortify the roster? That team is gonna be fine, and I already expect them to win the title next year..

I don't think anyone is saying that Cleveland never gave him a chance, he just went on live TV to make an announcement that could've been made by Twitter or a phone call and was completely ridiculous, one of which was never made to the team that he called home for 7 years. It is just common courtesy but he has now proven to be a flake

Their ultimate success will depend on who will sign with this team. If they only fill it with scrubs then there is a bit of uncertainty of what this team can do. Also, if we are all assuming that LeBron is as big an egomaniac that we believe he is, the press is going to push the issue of him as a villan (think Kobe the last 5 years). Questions about him being number 2, not being like Bird, Magic, MJ....hell even Kobe might get to him.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
I would bet you that they do in fact win 70 or more

I really don't think so, it needs to be a team effort and it's only (now 4 of them), the Bulls were something special and I don't think we see that especially from the three amEGO's in Miami

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
Why did he have to say no though? All he did was answer some questions, say where he decided to play, and then answered some more questions.. It wasnt 58 minutes of LeBron hype followed by a closing of where he signed..

The "special" wasnt what I expected.. it was basically the ESPN people talking it up, then it was LeBron and some guy for a few minutes and he pretty much came right out and said where he signed.. and then it was ESPN again..

Honestly, I really thought it was gonna be an hour long show where he didnt say until the last few minutes.. but to me it just seemed like it was ESPN who pushed for this the most.. not LeBron like I had originally thought

He could have told Dan Gilbert ahead of time.

Cleveland radio guys:

"If he had gone to Chicago, he'd have been the #1 guy.

If he had gone to New Jersey, he'd have been the #1 guy.

If he had gone to New York, he'd DEFINITELY be the #1 guy.

If he had gone to the Clippers, he'd have been the #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5 guy.

If he had gone to Cleveland, of course he'd have still been the #1 guy.

This though.. I nor anyone can't even stomach."

They are shocked that if he had to leave, why didn't he choose Chicago.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (aprec32 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
Their ultimate success will depend on who will sign with this team. If they only fill it with scrubs then there is a bit of uncertainty of what this team can do. Also, if we are all assuming that LeBron is as big an egomaniac that we believe he is, the press is going to push the issue of him as a villan (think Kobe the last 5 years). Questions about him being number 2, not being like Bird, Magic, MJ....hell even Kobe might get to him.

LeBron doesn't care about that, im pretty sure of it..

I dont think it being "Wades Town" will have any bother on him at all.. I think he really just wants to win Championships.. If that wasnt the case, he could have taken more money from Cleveland, Chicago, New York.. there were plenty of options for him to take that would have either been more money or allowed him to build his own "legacy" or whatever you wanna call it..

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
I don't think anyone is saying that Cleveland never gave him a chance, he just went on live TV to make an announcement that could've been made by Twitter or a phone call and was completely ridiculous, one of which was never made to the team that he called home for 7 years. It is just common courtesy but he has now proven to be a flake

EXACTLY......just think how Dan Gilbert felt having to watch this without LeBron giving a courtesy call thanking him but saying he has to move on. I think Gilbert is going to unleash hell on LBJ.

QUOTE (aprec32 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:40 AM)
EXACTLY......just think how Dan Gilbert felt having to watch this without LeBron giving a courtesy call thanking him but saying he has to move on. I think Gilbert is going to unleash hell on LBJ.

Can you imagine how Gilbert must have felt when Lebron told the interviewer that he had just informed the team he was going to of his choice? The idea that somebody would abandon you like that without even taking the time of making a call...

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
LeBron doesn't care about that, im pretty sure of it..

I dont think it being "Wades Town" will have any bother on him at all.. I think he really just wants to win Championships.. If that wasnt the case, he could have taken more money from Cleveland, Chicago, New York.. there were plenty of options for him to take that would have either been more money or allowed him to build his own "legacy" or whatever you wanna call it..

Well time will only tell. You'd have to imagine that image is important to anyone who refers to themself in the third person. I'm just saying that a season is very long and there are many aspects to this team that people are not thinking about.

Dan Lebatard, Chris Broussard, (though I always liked Broussard, has some of the best sources on ESPN) Stephen A. Smith (and yes I hate Leba-retard and screamin A. ain't that great, cept his cheese doodles) look like geniuses.

Completely agree with the last few posts.

It was totally classless of Lebron not to have given Gilbert a heads up on his decision.

What Lebron did to the Cavs is the basketball equivalent of getting dumped by your girlfriend on the Jerry Springer show.

If you had asked me, would I ever agree with Cleveland radio, I would have undoubtedly said, No I will never agree.

But I agree entirely.

Lebron could have been the chosen one. He could have won in NY, he could have won in NJ, he could have won in Cleveland. Thats how respected he was a player, that people thought he could have won everywhere. So he becomes a free agent and he has a chance to play for 1) his home town team, 2) to play for the team he loved as a kid and his idol played for, 3) to play in New York where he has an affection for and could have become the man in NY forever.

Instead he chooses the Miami option, teaming up with Wade and Bosh, where Wade is the man.

I expected more. Why? Because Lebron was just that good. I would watch Cavs games and root for them in playoffs because Lebron was the man.

I just cant see myself rooting for Miami, Id rather root for the Lakers. Id never root for the Celtics haha

Anyway, I think that Lebron is going to end up regretting this decision. He was unfortunately to young to understand the magnitude of what he was doing.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
If you had asked me, would I ever agree with Cleveland radio, I would have undoubtedly said, No I will never agree.

But I agree entirely.

Lebron could have been the chosen one. He could have won in NY, he could have won in NJ, he could have won in Cleveland. Thats how respected he was a player, that people thought he could have won everywhere. So he becomes a free agent and he has a chance to play for 1) his home town team, 2) to play for the team he loved as a kid and his idol played for, 3) to play in New York where he has an affection for and could have become the man in NY forever.

Instead he chooses the Miami option, teaming up with Wade and Bosh, where Wade is the man.

I expected more. Why? Because Lebron was just that good. I would watch Cavs games and root for them in playoffs because Lebron was the man.

I just cant see myself rooting for Miami, Id rather root for the Lakers. Id never root for the Celtics haha

Anyway, I think that Lebron is going to end up regretting this decision. He was unfortunately to young to understand the magnitude of what he was doing.

well shame on you badger for not realizing the fraud that is LeFraud James

That green is towards you not that actual statement, i hate him but wow he really shocked the world and showed everyone his true colors tonight.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)

But I agree entirely.

Great Post. He is that good. And I thought he would have the desire to want to be "The Man". All the greats want to be the greatest ever. MJ wanted it, Kobe wants it (thats why he kicked Shaq out), you can go back decade after decade. None of the greatest want to be a sidekick. LeBron has lost so many fans........and that does matter somewhat.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
So there are a few places reporting that Mike Miller will sign a 5 year 30 million dollar deal with Miami. LeBron/Wade/Miller/Bosh/Shaq (if he signs for the minimum as rumored). Wow just wow.

At this rate no one should even try, except the Lakers (maybe Boston), to challenge that team.

Edited by SoxAce