NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
Bosh just went on ESPN and compared his time in Toronto as being like a caged wolf watching others eating meat. He's clearly a giant dick.

Ok, he needs to shut up too. This is going to be such an easy league to not care about.

I actually thought that was the clincher. Seemed odd to have a party there if he wasn't going there. Seemed credible enough.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
I wonder if the US Magazine story was true about the cabanas? Maybe Dan Gilbert will crash that party.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
Ok, he needs to shut up too. This is going to be such an easy league to not care about.

The other 29 teams should remove the Heat from the NBA and give Seattle a franchise back. That would be hilariously awesome.

So a one hour special to tell the world you are going to Miami has nothing to do with ego?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
Considering there were a ton of people who thought his ego was too big to go to Miami maybe LeBron isn't who we thought he was.

What sucks for Cleveland is that they're probably a little happier now due to the Gilbert letter, but once they wake up tomorrow, they're going to have to face the LeBracalypse that just happened to their city. Don't worry Cleveland, you can have "Kerry Wood simulation inning towel" giveaways

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
So a one hour special to tell the world you are going to Miami has nothing to do with ego?

He clearly has an ego but all great players do, but it doesn't appear he cares what people will think about his legacy or the perception of his titles.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
You know which GM would love to have 9 open roster spots to fill with old guys who he could offer the minimum to? Our very own KW!

I have nothing positive I can say about this post. I really feel bad about having read it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
Really nice article from Will Leitch on this: http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2010/07/lebr...as_being_a.html

That's a fantastic piece of writing (and by fantastic I of course mean writing that I agree with). The tone-deafness of the whole is really the most surprising aspect to me....

If Leitch is implying that this will lose the NBA fans...I don't know. The NBA now has a great villain. And I'm sure the league will use the refs in the finals to make sure there's some drama about whether or not Miami wins the ship next season.

Man I am gettin tired of seeing people bash him for not "sticking" it out in Cleveland..

Gimme a break, he was there for seven years and they never put anything around him to get that team a ring.. I don't feel bad for them one bit..

Its absurd to sit here and say he should have stayed in Cleveland and tried to win championships there when he has no control over the roster and how their money is spent..

and secondly, if he would have signed with the Bulls no one would be saying anything about him right now.. but because he signed with Wade and Bosh hes some villain.. I don't get it..

and just to toss this out there, but the contract details aren't even done yet and LeBron himself has already said all three of them are going to be taking less money to make this thing work.. if all of them are only making 15 million next season that's still going to give them what, like 13 million to play with and fortify the roster? That team is gonna be fine, and I already expect them to win the title next year..

As a fan, LeBron has become by far my most hated athlete in all of sports. He was already up there to begin with but now no one is even close. He's a giant tool and I wish him nothing but the worst. The Lakers have also instantly become my 2nd favorite team as well, as they're the only team in my mind who has a shot to knock off Miami next season.

Basketball has always been my favorite sport so I hate to say this, but this NBA season is going to be the most pointless season in any sport, almost ever. It's going to be the Lakers and the Heat in the finals and I don't need 82 games and 3 other playoff series to tell me that.

I'm also going to say one more time, that this Heat team has absolutely 0 shot at winning 70 games. None.

My gut reaction is that LeBron making this decision has significantly hurt his "brand". Now, I realize he'll be fine finanically, will still have endorsements and might just win several championships. But one could argue that he went from one of the most loveable players to one of the most hated now.

Edited by aprec32

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
Man I am gettin tired of seeing people bash him for not "sticking" it out in Cleveland..

Gimme a break, he was there for seven years and they never put anything around him to get that team a ring.. I don't feel bad for them one bit..

Its absurd to sit here and say he should have stayed in Cleveland and tried to win championships there when he has no control over the roster and how their money is spent..

and secondly, if he would have signed with the Bulls no one would be saying anything about him right now.. but because he signed with Wade and Bosh hes some villain.. I don't get it..

and just to toss this out there, but the contract details aren't even done yet and LeBron himself has already said all three of them are going to be taking less money to make this thing work.. if all of them are only making 15 million next season that's still going to give them what, like 13 million to play with and fortify the roster? That team is gonna be fine, and I already expect them to win the title next year..

It's how he signed. He basically flipped off Cleveland by doing that special.

If he had signed with the Bulls, it would have left the NBA some room for on paper competitiveness.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
I'm also going to say one more time, that this Heat team has absolutely 0 shot at winning 70 games. None.

I would bet you that they do in fact win 70 or more

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
If Leitch is implying that this will lose the NBA fans...I don't know. The NBA now has a great villain. And I'm sure the league will use the refs in the finals to make sure there's some drama about whether or not Miami wins the ship next season.

It doesn't matter if you have a great villain if there's no one to challenge it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
l2ms

lebron to miami soon.

My sources had told me that.

Not that I have to stroke your ego anymore, but outstanding call there and I'll give you props once again on it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
It's how he signed. He basically flipped off Cleveland by doing that special.

I was thinking about that while I was listening in the car and I think I have come to the conclusion that it is ESPN that made it the big deal it was..

All I heard was that LeBron had asked for a press conference, and I am sure that ESPN was the ones behind making it some hour long special.. I seriously doubt that LeBron requested to have the special, seeing as he just answered like 5 questions before saying he chose Miami.. it would have gone on longer if he was the one trying to make this some hour long event..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
I would bet you that they do in fact win 70 or more

IMO, there's only 1 thing that would keep them from doing so...Riley/Spoelstra deciding to take the foot off the gas down the stretch. If they beat up on everyone else in the East like i think they will and neither the Bulls, Hawks, nor Magic can push upwards of 60 wins (name another team I'm forgetting?) and I don't think any of them can...they wrap up home court in the East with 10+ games left to go.

Add in an arthritic finger for Kobe...

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
I was thinking about that while I was listening in the car and I think I have come to the conclusion that it is ESPN that made it the big deal it was..

All I heard was that LeBron had asked for a press conference, and I am sure that ESPN was the ones behind making it some hour long special.. I seriously doubt that LeBron requested to have the special, seeing as he just answered like 5 questions before saying he chose Miami.. it would have gone on longer if he was the one trying to make this some hour long event..

How hard is it to say "No"?