2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
I love Allie, especially with the improved command. I will be tracking his progress no matter who takes him. It's a shame that he's not remotely an option for the Sox.

Agreed. Odds are the Twins will take him after us and he will dominate us when he makes it to the bigs. Thats just the way it seems to go.

Just once I'd love to see this team get a power pitcher in this rotation, someone in the mold of Matt Garza.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One guy who I wouldn't mind drafting, not in the first, is Cameron Bedrosian. Not really sure where he is projected to go, haven't payed close attention to the draft this year as I did in other years, but I would not mind him at all in the 2nd if he is there. Good pedigree, doesn't have electric stuff but it is solid none-the-less, and looks like someone who could be a fast riser. Not necessarily a safe pick, but someone who just looks like a good ball player.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
Agreed. Odds are the Twins will take him after us and he will dominate us when he makes it to the bigs. Thats just the way it seems to go.

Just once I'd love to see this team get a power pitcher in this rotation, someone in the mold of Matt Garza.

Sad thing is these type of pitchers are available to us every year. Until this inept organizational philosophy of ours does a full (and not half-assed) 180, will continue to lag behind other organizations from an overall talent perspective.

The more I look at this draft, the weaker it looks. Outside of Bryce Harper, there doesn't seem to be much seperation between the top 100 players or so.

I would not be surprised if there are a lot of "who?" picks in the first round.

However, the 2011 class is loaded and thats one plus about sucking. I would be content with losing every game from here on out if it meant us getting the no. 1 pick. Anthony Rendon is a stud, I'd take him over Bryce Harper any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Speaking of the Rice Owls, that reminds of another guy who I liked last year but came back. Diego Seastrunk is a Switch Hitting Catcher with great plate discipline. Might not be able to stick at C, but he's worth a shot somewhere within the top 10, IMO.

Edited by BearSox

Thanks for the chat link. Some interesting stuff, including that the Sox are not interested in D. McGuire even if he falls. I'm fine with that, as I've seen way too many games pitched by him at GT where his velocity was down.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
According to the chat, 7-8 names on the Sox list, with one Boras client on it. Mentioned Brentz, Workman, Wojciechowski. My prediction is that they take Workman.

His guess is the Boras client is Harvey. He's one of the few college arms I wouldn't be upset with. Hell, I might even like that pick.

It seems like this draft is weak, unpredictable, and not filled with a lot of star potential. Whoever the Sox take, I don't see fans penciling him in to a future roster like we did with Beckham and Mitchell the last two years.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
It seems like this draft is weak, unpredictable, and not filled with a lot of star potential.

You would be correct. This is not a strong draft class. I expect quite a few surprises in the 1st round. The perception of 1st round talent is extremely volatile this year.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
As I stated earlier though, we picked a good year to be bad because the 2011 draft could be even more loaded than the 08 and 09 drafts.

No doubt. The top of the 2011 class looks stellar.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I have no problem if we go into fire sale mode this instant and go on to win only 30 more games. Being the worst team in baseball is worth it with Anthony Rendon being the top prospect next year.

I said I'd take Rendon over Harper, and I'd probably take him over Strasburg. Rendon has a very similar approach to Braun and Longoria at bat, except he already has a much better feel for the strike zone at this stage and if you look at their college numbers, Rendon blows them out of the water.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
What's the chance the Sox draft Morgado in the 2nd round again?

I have a question about this. If a team drafts a player but is unable to sign them, do they get some sort of protected right to draft him again the next year?

I ask because I was thinking, couldn't players and agents otherwise just ignore teams they don't like one year, and then wait to go out the next year?

Even if the Sox went to firesale mode, there aren't enough players to trade that would make the Sox worse than Houston, Cleveland, and Kansas City...and probably a few more. If the Sox have the 7th or 8th pick in the draft in 2011, that would be fine with me, if the draft is as deep as people are saying it will be.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
I said it before, and I'll say it again, I have no problem if we go into fire sale mode this instant and go on to win only 30 more games. Being the worst team in baseball is worth it with Anthony Rendon being the top prospect next year.

I said I'd take Rendon over Harper, and I'd probably take him over Strasburg. Rendon has a very similar approach to Braun and Longoria at bat, except he already has a much better feel for the strike zone at this stage and if you look at their college numbers, Rendon blows them out of the water.

Rendon is amazing. I would definitely take him over Harper and Strasburg. Many scouting publications tend to agree. He is going to be a long-time cornerstone for whoever he ends up with.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
Even if the Sox went to firesale mode, there aren't enough players to trade that would make the Sox worse than Houston, Cleveland, and Kansas City...and probably a few more. If the Sox have the 7th or 8th pick in the draft in 2011, that would be fine with me, if the draft is as deep as people are saying it will be.

DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT!!!! KEEP THE FAITH MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crying

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)

The White Sox are currently 1 game up on Cleveland and 2.5 games up on K.C., and we're even with K.C. in thew in column.

The White sox are 7.5 games ahead of the Baltimore Orioles for worst record in the league. We're closer to Baltimore than we are to the Twins.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
I have a question about this. If a team drafts a player but is unable to sign them, do they get some sort of protected right to draft him again the next year?

I ask because I was thinking, couldn't players and agents otherwise just ignore teams they don't like one year, and then wait to go out the next year?

My understanding is that the player would have to agree for the team to draft him again