The Soxtalk Committee on Closing

Heads22

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Matt Thornton has done absolutely nothing in typical closer save situations to make me believe he can't close out a game when called upon to do so.

To be fair, I think you'd have to tell him the job is his and then rate his "pass/fail"... yes/no? It's a completely different mindset then being a set up guy, IMO.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:57 PM)
To be fair, I think you'd have to tell him the job is his and then rate his "pass/fail"... yes/no? It's a completely different mindset then being a set up guy, IMO.

I wouldn't give him the job regardless, he's far more valuable getting the biggest outs of the game in the innings leading up to the 9th but just going strictly based off what he's done in his career with the Sox in true save situations (and all other situations for that matter, since he's dominant regardless) there's no reason for me to believe he can't get those final 3 outs when play dictates he do so.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 28, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
I wouldn't give him the job regardless, he's far more valuable getting the biggest outs of the game in the innings leading up to the 9th but just going strictly based off what he's done thus far in true save situations (and all other situations for that matter, since he's dominant regardless) there's no reason for me to believe he can't get those final 3 outs when play dictates he do so.

I agree with this. I don't see LaTroy Hawkins when I see Thornton. I also don't see who would become the main bridge guy in Matt's spot.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
I wouldn't give him the job regardless, he's far more valuable getting the biggest outs of the game in the innings leading up to the 9th but just going strictly based off what he's done thus far in true save situations (and all other situations for that matter, since he's dominant regardless) there's no reason for me to believe he can't get those final 3 outs when play dictates he do so.

Now I understand where you're coming from. Ignore my other post in the other thread. :D

I do love how much everyone hates Jenks yet thinks we could trade him to anyone for anything. Sweet-o-logic

I expressed the same sentiment. Was told that teams in the NL will realize it's a weaker league and he'll do better there and/or the fact a change of scenery and their pitching coach will fix him.

FTR I love Jenks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
I expressed the same sentiment. Was told that teams in the NL will realize it's a weaker league and he'll do better there and/or the fact a change of scenery and their pitching coach will fix him.

FTR I love Jenks.

No one thinks we'd get anything of value for him other than salary savings that might help us pay for a non-terrible closer next year.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
I do love how much everyone hates Jenks yet thinks we could trade him to anyone for anything. Sweet-o-logic

If by "anything" you mean "absolutely anything that a team will give us to take Jenks off of our hands," then yes, that's what people are saying.

Some of you guys are hilarious in you think there's no way in hell Bobby can turn it around yet some have rallied around some of our newer players in saying they'll turn it around and reach their career averages, etc.

You don't see you are playing into the cliche? Bobby has been around a long time. You are tired of him. He's old news. You want the unknown.

f*** the cliches. Stand by a great White Sox player who is still throwing in the 90s.

Remember 2 years ago when Paulie was getting the hate? He shut everybody up. If he has another bad month are you gonna turn on him?

Everybody says Bobby is throwing heat and yet I read from some the guns have to be wrong? WTF.

Edited by greg775

All we want is a closer who doesn't suck, Greg. We can close our eyes and squint really hard and imagine that Bobby is 20 pounds heavier with 2 more miles per hour on his heat and actual break on his curve, but that doesn't make it any closer to the reality. He's bad, and we'll be lucky to get anything for him, but we need to try.

Ozzie doesn't care how good Thornton is throwing, Jenks is his closer. "I talked to Bobby Jenks today, yes," Guillen said. "Hopefully, that's the last time Bobby goes through [injury troubles], but in the meanwhile, I can not worry about putting him in a save situation tonight."

"Bobby's our closer," Guillen added.

Guillen's statement put to rest any speculation about whether Jenks would continue to be called upon to close out games for the South Siders.

Matt Thornton will regain his position as a left-handed setup guy, tasked with pitching the eighth inning or earlier, if a tough left handed batter happens to come up.

"I don't care how well Thornton is throwing the ball. The reason we used him [on May 28] was because Bobby was down. You look at Texas' team, they only have two lefties. I have to go with Bobby. If they go with lefties, I might take a chance with Thornton. Right now, the way we play, we have to do everything to win the game

Stubborn and stupid. That's our manager. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_mlb

Stubborn and stupid. That's our manager.

Are you one of those who wants Putz? I thought most agreed Thornton was too valuable in his role now.

It won't matter long anyway. Many of you say all the contracts will be dumped so Bobby should be dealt to a contender in the NL before too long.

Stubborn and stupid? Oz will have a nice career managing in baseball until he's 65 or 70. It won't be in Chicago so you'll be happy. But he'll remain rich and stupid managing other teams.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
You look at Texas' team, they only have two lefties. I have to go with Bobby. If they go with lefties, I might take a chance with Thornton.

Said it many times about him... Micro-managing at its finest.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
Ozzie doesn't care how good Thornton is throwing, Jenks is his closer. "I talked to Bobby Jenks today, yes," Guillen said. "Hopefully, that's the last time Bobby goes through [injury troubles], but in the meanwhile, I can not worry about putting him in a save situation tonight."

"Bobby's our closer," Guillen added.

Guillen's statement put to rest any speculation about whether Jenks would continue to be called upon to close out games for the South Siders.

Matt Thornton will regain his position as a left-handed setup guy, tasked with pitching the eighth inning or earlier, if a tough left handed batter happens to come up.

"I don't care how well Thornton is throwing the ball. The reason we used him [on May 28] was because Bobby was down. You look at Texas' team, they only have two lefties. I have to go with Bobby. If they go with lefties, I might take a chance with Thornton. Right now, the way we play, we have to do everything to win the game

Stubborn and stupid. That's our manager. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_mlb

If Jenks is his closer, that is what he was to say publicly. Also if they are hoping to dump Jenks soon, they have to keep him in as closer if they want him to have max value.l

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Putz is not a superior option.

Maybe Santos if we want to let the inexperienced guy get his feet wet in the closer role.

This love of Putz confuses me.

Putz was a successful closer for a couple of years. Santos has only been pitching for a year and a half, and his arm isn't conditioned for the closer role yet. Mishandling Santos in what is likely a lost season would be a major screw-up on the Sox's part.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 06:15 AM)
If Jenks is his closer, that is what he was to say publicly. Also if they are hoping to dump Jenks soon, they have to keep him in as closer if they want him to have max value.l

They could move Putz to the closer role and try to sell him instead. His contract is a lot more reasonable and might attract more suitors.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Putz was a successful closer for a couple of years. Santos has only been pitching for a year and a half, and his arm isn't conditioned for the closer role yet. Mishandling Santos in what is likely a lost season would be a major screw-up on the Sox's part.

They could move Putz to the closer role and try to sell him instead. His contract is a lot more reasonable and might attract more suitors.

Adding to this, Putz's 2007 completely blows any given Jenks year out of the water. Then he got hurt. It's not like he is chopped liver now, though. His WHIP and ERA are HALF that of Jenks in about the same number of IP. Ridiculous K:BB ratio, etc. I don't understand why anyone can say Jenks is better than Putz right now.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Where's the love for Jenks? He looks awfully good to me.

Some people just want to hate and not give him his props like the last 2 outings?

Very small sample size, but his last two performances have been encouraging. If he continues on this path, he may net us something at the deadline.

Also agreed with the previous post about Putz, although I'd rather trade him. I'm not confident in his ability to stay healthy.

Very small sample size? I am one who has continued to say he's a damn good closer all along. Like his whole career!

People drive me crazy. What do you expect out of these players? Jenks has been good even this season.

Yes HE SUCKS when the score is tied and he enters or when he has a big lead. He's good at closing.

Edited by greg775