Make a deal with Angels?

JPN366

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 30, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Strike while the iron is hot, they need someone to fill in for Morales. The Sox could pull Trumbo and maybe another good prospect for Konerko. I imagine I will get flamed for this.

And you should get flamed. We need to sign Konerko for at least two more years

It's the first thing I thought of also when I saw Morales was hurt. KW has to explore his options, as it's very unlikely PK would return next season. The Angels have some good players in their system....and no, we're not getting Mike Trout!

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 30, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
Strike while the iron is hot, they need someone to fill in for Morales. The Sox could pull Trumbo and maybe another good prospect for Konerko. I imagine I will get flamed for this.

Not happening. The Angels are not going to whore themselves out for a rental. Nor should they.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
Um, no we don't

Oh yes we should :lol:

Konerko is too valuable to this team. We have seen similar moves made by KW really flame out and I think it's time we start valueing our own more than we have. We have a leader and a very good ball player here in Konerkoand he wants to stay in Chicago

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)

Konerko is too valuable to this team. We have seen similar moves made by KW really flame out and I think it's time we start valueing our own more than we have. We have a leader and a very good ball player here in Konerkoand he wants to stay in Chicago

That's cute and all. And if PK is willing to come back at a significantly reduced contract over a couple years, I'd love to have him back. If he wants to get paid like it's 2006, see ya!

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 30, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)

PK does not want to stay in Chicago after this season, according to what he said in ST. He basically said he'll be moving on to a different team after this season. I love PK...but it's time for a new locker room attitude, IMO.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
Everything I've read so far points to the Angels going in-house. They're not going to make some crazy, impulsive move (like many already expect) due to a terrible freak accident. Looks like Kendry is going to be out 10-12 weeks. They're just going to have to make due.

More than likely they will, but if they really want an established player to keep them afloat, Konerko would help. Trumbo is blocked longterm anyway, why not make a move?

The Angels would be dealing from depth and getting a high caliber offensive player in return, no loss for them. Plus, they wouldn't be on the hook for Konerko next year and Morales would be back to full health by then. It's a win-win for them.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
More than likely they will, but if they really want an established player to keep them afloat, Konerko would help. Trumbo is blocked longterm anyway, why not make a move?

Doesn't matter if he's blocked. It doesn't make any sense for them to go all reactionary and jettison off prospects for a rental. Especially for a guy that wouldn't really put them over the top anyway.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
The Angels would be dealing from depth and getting a high caliber offensive player in return, no loss for them. Plus, they wouldn't be on the hook for Konerko next year and Morales would be back to full health by then. It's a win-win for them.

Again, you're dealing away a good prospect for a 3-month rental due to a freak accident. It's not a win-win for them at all.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
Again, you're dealing away a good prospect for a 3-month rental due to a freak accident. It's not a win-win for them at all.

The Angels don't have any realistic in-house options. Trumbo has potential, but his k-rate is about as optimistic as Tyler Flowers. Who else do they have? Calling up Hank Conger and moving Napoli to 1b? Robb Quinlan? The Angels have a bunch of toolsy OF and middle IF prospect in-house, most of whom are two to three years away. What they just lost in Morales is what their organization is lacking in-terms of depth. They're between a rock and a hard place. Dealing for Konerko is not out of the question.

They just lost their best offensive player for I'm guessing at least 3 months, maybe the whole year. They play in what is probably the weakest division in baseball, the division and a playoff run are in their sights, Rob Quinlan is not going to get it done at first base.

They need to make a move here, is it reactionary? Absolutely, but that's what you do when s*** happens, you react to it. I just don't see any way that they can secure the division without their best hitter, their offense is lacking bite this year even with Morales. Without him they become overly reliant on a pitching staff that probably isn't up to the task at this point.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
The Angels don't have any realistic in-house options. Trumbo has potential, but his k-rate is about as optimistic as Tyler Flowers. Who else do they have? Calling up Hank Conger and moving Napoli to 1b? Robb Quinlan? The Angels have a bunch of toolsy OF and middle IF prospect in-house, most of whom are two to three years away. What they just lost in Morales is what their organization is lacking in-terms of depth. They're between a rock and a hard place. Dealing for Konerko is not out of the question.

Not many teams could lose a player the caliber of Kendry Morales and replace them in-house. That's not the point. It's just not nearly as simple as "Gee, we lost Kendry for three months, let's mortgage some of our future for a good, not great, 1B for 2-3 months until Kendry gets back." Of course it's a "possibility." Just not very likely.

I got the impression that Konerko won't be back because he will (rightly) be looking for a multi year deal. I think the Sox will try and get a one-year guy (bridge to Dayan) or a long term solution before signing Konerko for 2 years. If Kong will come back for one year then hey, everybody is happy. It could happen, or not.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
Not many teams could lose a player the caliber of Kendry Morales and replace them in-house. That's not the point. It's just not nearly as simple as "Gee, we lost Kendry for three months, let's mortgage some of our future for a good, not great, 1B for 2-3 months until Kendry gets back." Of course it's a "possibility." Just not very likely.

There's a significant difference between treading water without your best player and playing Robb Quinlan every-day at 1b. I think the Angels realize that their best option is to go out of house. Now, this could mean Paulie, A-Gone, Adam Dunn, whatever. They're not burdened with an over-abundance of choice in the matter.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
PK does not want to stay in Chicago after this season, according to what he said in ST. He basically said he'll be moving on to a different team after this season. I love PK...but it's time for a new locker room attitude, IMO.

He said he doesn't want to stay where he isn't wanted, and he wouldn't block a trade. I never remember him saying he didn't want to be here. There is a big difference there.

Said in the paper today that PK would waive his NTC clause, if he could play for a winner...

Waive it goodbye

Paul Konerko told the Sun-Times in the spring of 2009 that he would waive his no-trade clause if he felt it could help the Sox, as well as put him in a good place. It's no secret that the Angels would be a good place in Konerko's mind.

Los Angeles lost first baseman Kendry Morales to a broken leg on Saturday, and with San Diego's Adrian Gonzalez part of a contender and unavailable, Konerko could be targeted by the Angels.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...soxnt30.article