Make a deal with Angels?

JPN366

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 30, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
Lets not wave the white flag just as this team is starting to play well. We will win the division. We will win the ALCS. And we will win the WS.

Boy I'm glad you're not the GM.

What team have you been watching? Every time we win a game, i hear this, and then we lost the next one. We're the very definition of mediocre. We can't keep holding on to the past, and losing sight of the future. Eventually, we're going to have to let Paulie go.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 30, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
What team have you been watching? Every time we win a game, i hear this, and then we lost the next one. We're the very definition of mediocre. We can't keep holding on to the past, and losing sight of the future. Eventually, we're going to have to let Paulie go.

That's what happens when your starting pitching is incredibly inconsistent. The offense has improved over the course of the past 2-3 weeks. Now the starting pitching has to start performing like they are capable of.

I just don't think the Angels are going to offer Kenny anything enticing enough to make him take a big bat away from his own team this early in the season. Maybe down the road, but not right now.

I love PK...but it's time for a new locker room attitude, IMO.

What does that mean? I'll take talent over attitude anyday. His attitude isn't exactly rotten, either. Who is going to replace him next year? Allen? Oh wait, we traded him. Viciedo (sp?)? Oh wait, he has a bad attitude and isn't any good either.

I get the feeling some of you would still want Konerko gone even if he somehow whacked 40 homers this year.

Keep devaluing your own, some of you Sox fans.

Edited by greg775

Viciedo is our best prospect right now, along with Hudson.

The odds are at least 50/50 at this point he's the starting 1B for the White Sox (or sharing DH duties) and makes the 25 man roster in April, 2011.

Greg, the whole point is this:

Konerko's "okay" at $4-5-6 million per year, over a one or two year contract. Anything above and beyond that in dollars or years is taking a HUGE HUGE risk that won't be logical from a payroll and going forward perspective.

Edited by caulfield12

And a strong June could quell speculation the Angels may try to pry Paul Konerko from the Sox after losing Kendry Morales to a broken leg Saturday. Konerko, who has 14 home runs but none since May 19, nearly signed with the Angels after the 2005 season and remains friendly with Angels manager Mike Scioscia.

“The Angels have been looking for Konerko for a long time,” Guillen said. “That’s not my call. Hopefully Konerko is playing good, and then like I say, it makes (the front office) make a decision.”

First to Caufield: What is logical? Giving Peavy all that money? My point is you never know.

Anyhow, this is Gonzalez's Trib story.

If we trade Pauley, who takes over at first? Kotsay or Viciedo? Or ? If you think putting Teahen or Kotsay there will help us win ... well obviously you all don't think that. Nobody can be dumb enough to think that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
If we trade Pauley, who takes over at first? Kotsay or Viciedo? Or ? If you think putting Teahen or Kotsay there will help us win ... well obviously you all don't think that. Nobody can be dumb enough to think that.

At this point, F*** it, Viciedo. It'll be June 1 in a couple days and it wouldn't cost us an arbitration year. If we're dealing PK14 for something useful and calling it a year to the point that we don't care if we lose games, then we may as well see if Dayan can start adapting to the show this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
What does that mean? I'll take talent over attitude anyday. His attitude isn't exactly rotten, either. Who is going to replace him next year? Allen? Oh wait, we traded him. Viciedo (sp?)? Oh wait, he has a bad attitude and isn't any good either.

I get the feeling some of you would still want Konerko gone even if he somehow whacked 40 homers this year.

Viciedo is doing wonderfully this year and where did "bad attitude" come from?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)

speaking of devaluing your own

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
I think the Angels would part with Trumbo...I think the bigger problem is getting Kenny to part with Konerko this early in the season.

A 24 year old 1B with a terrible K:BB ratio in the minors is hardly anything to get excited about. At best Trumbo looks like a platoon player, but thats only if he can mash lefties.

But to be honest though, even if we do trade Konerko, I'd still want us to offer him a contract in the offseason, see if we can bring him back. I'd even tell him that before I trade him just so he doesn't sell his house or anything.

Its something I wish we kept open with Thome and Contreras.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 30, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
Viciedo is doing wonderfully this year and where did "bad attitude" come from?

Wonderfully? Sure, this season is a lot more encouraging than last season, but he's put up most of his stats in the same ballpark Brent Lillibridge is mashing in, and he has a 42:5 K:BB. Thats something I'm not gonna hold my breath on.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
Wonderfully? Sure, this season is a lot more encouraging than last season, but he's put up most of his stats in the same ballpark Brent Lillibridge is mashing in, and he has a 42:5 K:BB. Thats something I'm not gonna hold my breath on.

He just turned 21, playing in AAA, and has an OPS just south of 850. I'll take it, in addition he has good K rates and like a lot of Cubans has started slow the past two seasons. He's one of the best prospects we have right now.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 31, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
He just turned 21, playing in AAA, and has an OPS just south of 850. I'll take it, in addition he has good K rates and like a lot of Cubans has started slow the past two seasons. He's one of the best prospects we have right now.

I actually like Viciedo and hope he succeeds, but it's sad to say that this, Flowers, Danks, Morel and Hudson are all we really got to offer prospect wise, outside from a couple guys in A-Ball who are some-what intriguing, but not anything to write home about yet.

Well, I still love Hudson and hopefully he can become the next Mark Buehrle in the organization.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)

For some reason, I thought his K/BB was much better.

I was also taking into account his young age.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
I actually like Viciedo and hope he succeeds, but it's sad to say that this, Flowers, Danks, Morel and Hudson are all we really got to offer prospect wise, outside from a couple guys in A-Ball who are some-what intriguing, but not anything to write home about yet.

Well, I still love Hudson and hopefully he can become the next Mark Buehrle in the organization.

I agree, our prospect outlook is bleak right now, I sometimes wish that I was a Marlins or Red Sox fan so I would have a bevy of exciting prospects to follow.

Ozzie actually adressed this pretty directly in some comments he made. He confirms what we all know that the, "The Angels have been looking for Konerko for a long time," Guillen said. "That's not my call. Hopefully Konerko is playing good, and then like I say, it makes (the front office) make a decision." http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5191881.story

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 31, 2010 -> 01:26 AM)
Ozzie actually adressed this pretty directly in some comments he made. He confirms what we all know that the, "The Angels have been looking for Konerko for a long time," Guillen said. "That's not my call. Hopefully Konerko is playing good, and then like I say, it makes (the front office) make a decision." http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5191881.story

Wow, I'm one of the Ozzie supporters, and I love how he speaks his mind, but I hate this quote. Paulie's a staple to this organization, and while he does make a lot of money, I feel that he's under-appreciated and nobody can blame this terrible start of the season on him. For me, I hope Konerko's putting up good numbers, and is in a white sox uniform. Why make this sort of comment?

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
Agreed 100%. No one loves Konerko more than me, but this is a business and unless he is willing to sign something like a 3 year 21 million dollar contract, he's not worth bringing back.

And even if we do trade him, that doesn't rule out bringing him back in the offseason as a FA. But we gotta do whatever is best for the club.

And the same goes for Buehrle to.

I think that 3/21 is a fair offer for PK. The year he's having and Teahen's contract would almost make 3/15 a lowball offer. This is the last "big" contract he's going to get, so something like 2/14 is probably not going to do it. Those of you who think that we don't need PK next year have way too much faith in guys like Flowers and Viciedo. I'd rather try to get a "hometown discount" out of PK than over-pay for somebody in free agency this winter.

If I'm KW, I'm talking to PK about an extension right now. If he wants to test the FA market this winter, I'd be looking to deal him.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 31, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
I still don't grasp how 2009 was a bad year for Viciedo.

How is Viciedo defensively at 1B? I think people really underestimate the amount of errors Konerko has saved White Sox infielders the past couple of seasons. If Konerko leaves and the White Sox have a guy who really can't pick it at 1B, they will definitely need a new 3B and probably SS if Alexei can't get his head out of his ass.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
PK does not want to stay in Chicago after this season, according to what he said in ST. He basically said he'll be moving on to a different team after this season. I love PK...but it's time for a new locker room attitude, IMO.

Fathom, I have never heard or read that quote. What I did hear and it has been reported before that PK said things like "I have no control over what happens and this is a business, etc." But, I have never seen a quote such as what you put down

Edited by elrockinMT