If we do get back in this. . .

GreatScott82

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
He's also 22 for 39 career in SB attempts, 10 for 23 the last year and a half. There is way more to a leadoff hitter than OBP. He was supposed to be a middle of the order hitter, but his power didn't carry over from Japan. He's now an OK #2 hitter, but thats about it. I'd personally much rather hold on to Pierre, DFA Linebrink to make room for Hudson, and save the extra $3 million instead of going after Kosuke.

Plus, why would Cubs do this just to save that money? They already had Pierre once, hated him. They need to get rid of an old OF with the crowd they have out there, not swap one out for another. And Linebrink is not a decent SU man, he's bad, as you stated in your first paragraph.

I really don't care all that much about Fukudome's stealing % as Pierre's. Fukudome doesn't have to be that good in that department since his game is more about getting on base. Pierre however has to be very good there or else he's really worth nothing at all.

The Cubs need a spot for Colvin, that's really it. They can't unload Soriano and they're not taking Byrd out of the lineup, so saving money and getting a Clevelan Santeliz-type prospect in return while potentially helping the bullpen isn't going to be a bad thing for them.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
why would you even want him in your plans

I said this at the beginning of this year and its showed not to be a dumb statement, I love Omar in the 2 hole and wish he could stay there the rest of the way. If Dayans/Morels not ready id actually prefer Omar over Teahen (with the way mark was swinging the bat this year). When does Mark come back??? if its before the deadline any chance we see him dealt?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
But at this point, you'd be buying high on him, no matter what everybody really thinks of him. The home run numbers and the slugging% talk for themselves.

Agree again, but I still don't think buying high on Alex Gonzalez costs a bunch. Imagine what our return for Freddy Garcia would be and then maybe even subtract some. That's what I think he'd cost.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
I said this at the beginning of this year and its showed not to be a dumb statement, I love Omar in the 2 hole and wish he could stay there the rest of the way. If Dayans/Morels not ready id actually prefer Omar over Teahen (with the way mark was swinging the bat this year). When does Mark come back??? if its before the deadline any chance we see him dealt?

Nobody will ever want Mark Teahen again. He's ours unless we eat a bunch of cash or throw in some kind of player sweetener, or else take on an equal or worse contract.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)

I don't know if Omar can play every day at his advanced age though.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
This is good??

The OBP is good, the other stuff isn't. But if that's the guy's floor then he's still better than Pierre. But like I said, just 2.5 seasons playing for the Cubs may not tell the whole story. Fukudome is a guy I'd go after because of what he can do on the baseball field, not because of his numbers. It would be a bad contract swap, nothing more. Ideally we'd have none of these players and their contracts on our roster.

I don't know if I agree with this either. I don't think he'd be light years better than Pierre. I know Pierre has been bad, but he has actually started to show a little life. And I love that he's a base stealing threat (Fukodome isn't that much of one). Pierre gives provides distractions to opposing pitchers whenever he gets on base. Plus, Fukudome would probably go through a bad bad adjustment period moving form the NL to the AL. No thanks.

Pierre's game IMO is not suited for the AL, especially in this ballpark. Maybe he'd work a lot better in Seattle or Detroit, or on the turf in Toronto, etc. But here is just a bad place for his game. He doesn't walk, he doesn't hit for power, he's just not made for this team.

Fukudome OTOH offers upside, and adjustment period or not, I think he'll still be a better player here offensively - much, much better. And defensively he makes us better, too.

I thought he TURNED DOWN more money from the White Sox to play on the North Side when he was a free agent coming from Japan. Was this true?

I don't know about the more money part, but he did turn us down to be the first Japanese Cubs player. I'm very glad he turned us down, and that deal is horrible, but since we're already stuck paying $10.5M to the last guy in the pen and a pinch runner/defensive replacement next year, I'd much rather trade that for Fukudome and his $13.5M. He's one of the few guys we may actually be able to pick up with our bad deals.

Kouz has been mentioned here too, but I think Alex Gonzalez would cost less still. Kouz would be the much better option going forward though because then you keep him until you find someone better, and maybe he becomes our new Crede. But Beane may not want to get rid of him for what we'd be willing to offer since he's trying to build something over there, and Uribe, who has also been mentioned here, isn't going anywhere either because he's not someone you overpay for. So Gonzalez is just a name I thought of since the Jays don't have a chance with the Rays, Yanks, and Red Sox in front of them.

I'm tried of people saying "you can give up (fill in the blank) because he is one of the Sox top prospects". Name me one that has gone on to do what the experts projected him to do.

I'm waiting...

Trade Danks 2 or Viciedo or Hudson or Beckham or any prospect if its gonna get the Sox into the playoffs this year.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Does anyone think we can compete in the playoffs if we somehow win our division? If we face anyone in the east it seems like we'd get swept.

Anything can happen in the playoffs especially if the top of your rotation is strong.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
The OBP is good, the other stuff isn't. But if that's the guy's floor then he's still better than Pierre. But like I said, just 2.5 seasons playing for the Cubs may not tell the whole story. Fukudome is a guy I'd go after because of what he can do on the baseball field, not because of his numbers. It would be a bad contract swap, nothing more. Ideally we'd have none of these players and their contracts on our roster.

He's 33. It's not like hes gonna suddenly figure something out and improve on those last 2.5 seasons as he gets older.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Anything can happen in the playoffs especially if the top of your rotation is strong.

Yeah but we had a pretty solid top of the rotation in 2008. And our rotation hasn't been strong this year. It's had a nice 2 week stretch against the worst teams in MLB.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
Agree again, but I still don't think buying high on Alex Gonzalez costs a bunch. Imagine what our return for Freddy Garcia would be and then maybe even subtract some. That's what I think he'd cost.

Why are the Blue Jays, who are in contention, going to trade us Alex Gonzalez?

I guess if there was one guy out there I'd really target it'd have to be Markakis. That is one really bad team so young players may be attractive to the O's at this point. Hell...I'd gladly give the CQ and a spec or 3 (depending on the level). Tough to pry him away probably...but they could save some quiche (believe he makes around $7M...which is a steal IMO). Wouldn't hurt to ask...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
Yeah but we had a pretty solid top of the rotation in 2008. And our rotation hasn't been strong this year. It's had a nice 2 week stretch against the worst teams in MLB.

And we were missing Carlos Quentin, and our rotation was totally burnt out by the 163 game race where we basically had 3 starting pitchers since Vazquez doesn't count once you get to September.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)

So you don't look at the career numbers and think they have a chance to revert to form and be strong for the remainder of the year?

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
I guess if there was one guy out there I'd really target it'd have to be Markakis. That is one really bad team so young players may be attractive to the O's at this point. Hell...I'd gladly give the CQ and a spec or 3 (depending on the level). Tough to pry him away probably...but they could save some quiche (believe he makes around $7M...which is a steal IMO). Wouldn't hurt to ask...

Yeah, pretty sure Mr. Angelos is in love with his fellow Greek.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)

Forget it let's give up!

Tigers and Cubs are the worst in baseball?!? Their records say otherwise but I'm gonna trust you on this one.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
He's 33. It's not like hes gonna suddenly figure something out and improve on those last 2.5 seasons as he gets older.

Figure what out? Why is he hitting so well early on and then fading later? It's either mental, or it's physical conditioning, or something mechanical. In either case there is reason to believe a change of scenery could really help him, since unlike Pierre his entire game isn't predicated on speed.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
Because the three best teams in baseball all happen to be in their division and ahead of them in the standings?

Oh, so maybe they just shouldn't even ever try, right? Because that is probably going to be the case for the next 5-10 years.

Maybe they should just become the AAA team for the rest of the League instead of having any delusions of competing themselves!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Oh, so maybe they just shouldn't even ever try, right? Because that is probably going to be the case for the next 5-10 years.

Maybe they should just become the AAA team for the rest of the League instead of having any delusions of competing themselves!

That would probably be a good idea for at least this year. They should look to get better in the long term instead of trying to chase down three juggernauts in the short term, and that will be exactly what they'll do. It's just a question of when they want to start selling, but I'd approach them now. Overybay will be gone for nothing since he's not hitting, but they'll look to get something from Downs, Frasor, Alex Gonzalez too most likely...

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
That would probably be a good idea for at least this year. They should look to get better in the long term instead of trying to chase down three juggernauts in the short term, and that will be exactly what they'll do. It's just a question of when they want to start selling, but I'd approach them now. Overybay will be gone for nothing since he's not hitting, but they'll look to get something from Downs, Frasor, Alex Gonzalez too most likely...

They are 4.5 games back, with a heck of a pitching staff. There is no way in hell they are going to give up in mid-June at 4.5 games back.

What the f*** is the point of even having a professional team if that is going to be the way they operate. This is pure and absolute nonsense.