Why is Randy Williams on this team?

WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
6th worst ever in a 110 year sample size. My lord why the f*** is he here?! Someone answer that please.

I think chw put it best..

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
It's because Ozzie loves to play bullpen matchups.

Thing is.. Williams hasn't even been asked much to do just LOOGY work with Ozzie. I feel like I've said this about 1000 times, that was my main beef with KW the entire off-season is not finding that solid second lefty to pair with Thornton, especially cause Ozzie likes said match-ups. I just hate micro-managing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
6th worst ever in a 110 year sample size. My lord why the f*** is he here?! Someone answer that please.

We can literally say he is one of the worst pitchers of all time.. WELCOME TO THE WHITE SOX! Seriously, it's an absolute joke that a guy with a whip north of 2.5 is still on a major league roster. But at this point, I don't even want to waste the effort thinking about it. Because if I do, I'll also have to think so hard about why Viciedo is here.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
Thing is.. Williams hasn't even been asked much to do just LOOGY work with Ozzie. I feel like I've said this about 1000 times, that was my main beef with KW the entire off-season is not finding that solid second lefty to pair with Thornton, especially cause Ozzie likes said match-ups. I just hate micro-managing.

A lot of the reason why Williams has faced a lot of righties this year is that Ozzie has tried to use him as much as possible in garbage time when games are already over...because you don't want to blow the rest of your bullpen in those games, and no one has any desire to pitch Williams in a close game, when he can't even get lefties out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
A lot of the reason why Williams has faced a lot of righties this year is that Ozzie has tried to use him as much as possible in garbage time when games are already over...because you don't want to blow the rest of your bullpen in those games, and no one has any desire to pitch Williams in a close game, when he can't even get lefties out.

I believe 100% that there is SOMEONE in our minor league system that can do what he's doing, or better. And I say that knowing almost nothing about our farm system. There's just no way someone couldn't come up and do even a little better.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
I believe 100% that there is SOMEONE in our minor league system that can do what he's doing, or better. And I say that knowing almost nothing about our farm system. There's just no way someone couldn't come up and do even a little better.

Well, Threets was hurt for a while and he was the "Randy Williams failure insurance option". If we were abjectly desperate for a LHP, that hurts.

That said, Torres as a RH long reliever would have been a lot more useful than Williams as abject failure over the past month.

Now that Threets is back, has pitched 10 innings in Charlotte since coming back from injury, and hasn't given up a run...there's no excuse.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)

I think some advocated Torres (who is too good for AAA now) or Hudson for months now, especially when it has been Pena picking up the loose change of innings when our starters have struggled. To be fair though, nobody knew our rotation would struggle this much, but management should of made a move much sooner then expected too.

There is apparently someone who can fill the LOOGY role nicely sitting in AAA, his name is Erick Threets. Putting up great numbers down there, he's a high velocity lefty who has had injury and control issues in the past, but has lots of talent. Seems like a Thornton-type story without the recovery, so maybe Coop can do some wonders. It appears he's done well in AAA so far even without that help.

I am 100% in favor of waiving Williams and calling up Threets.

I heard that Randy threatned to "tell Mom" if KW released him. Apparently Kenny tried to make Randy understand that they are not related, but Randy was so adament that Kenny started believing it himself and decided to not take any chances.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

Because if I do, I'll also have to think so hard about why Viciedo is here.

We need Viciedo's bat. Hopefully Oz figures that out and plays him a lot.

Randy Williams stinks. He is horrible. But he is not alone. Most teams have 1-3 horrific relievers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
Randy Williams stinks. He is horrible. But he is not alone. Most teams have 1-3 horrific relievers.

He is beyond horrible. Did you see the link Kalapse posted above? The 6th worst reliever in the last 110 years of MLB (minimum of 24 appearances).