Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:14 AM)
Why does everyone consider Hudson "our most valuable" to every team? How do you know what every other team considers valuable? How do you know that there's not a team

that doesn't covet a young power bat like Viciedo who's mashing in the bigs to all fields like a veteran at 21 over Hudson who crapped his pants in the bigs at 23?

Tonight Lucas freaking Harrell just showed twice the sac on the mound that Hudson ever has.

Harrell was 5 feet away from not making it out of the 2nd inning. He pitched very well from the 4th-6th, but it's too early to say anything about Hudson's intestinal fortitude.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
Yes, because Hudson is exactly like all of those guys that you just rattled off the top of your head. The facts as of now appear to be simple: KW got played out of the best trade piece we had. I don’t care about our past trading history. I care about the present and the future. Dan Hudson appeared to have a pretty big part to play in the puzzle.

The Sox have a pretty damn good track record of both self-scouting and pitcher reclamation projects.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
Why does everyone consider Hudson "our most valuable" to every team? How do you know what every other team considers valuable? How do you know that there's not a team

that doesn't covet a young power bat like Viciedo who's mashing in the bigs to all fields like a veteran at 21 over Hudson who crapped his pants in the bigs at 23?

Tonight Lucas freaking Harrell just showed twice the sac on the mound that Hudson ever has.

Are you kidding me? Do you not remember his meteoric rise through the system last year. He still had residual buzz this year even though he wasn't dominating the minors like he did in previous years. He was our most valuable trade chip a good young SP and we got bamboozled into wasting him, along with another decent prospect, for some fly-by-night promise(Dunn) from a ridiculous GM(Rizzo). I've said this many times on this board, the acquisition of Jackson doesn't bother me. He could've been had for way less than Hudson. Hell you throw a couple more prospects and KW could've rivaled offers from Haren/Oswalt. Absolutely got fleeced.

From Peter gammons:

" one of the things I found curious of this whole notion if the White Sox can get Edwin Jackson from Arizona, then they can get Adam Dunn from Washington. It never made any sense to me. I think that is very agent-driven, in that the same people I see writing about this get it from the same place. I know that I talked to [Nationals GM] Mike Rizzo, and he said, I don’t want Edwin Jackson, he makes $8 million next season and he has a 5.00 ERA. He said, “I have four pitchers I know are going to be in my rotation next year, why would I spend $8 million on a fifth starter and trade Adam Dunn, who I might be able to sign. It just doesn’t make sense,"

I hate to say it, but I could see all this Dunn stuff going back and forth is to add drama for "The Club" I truly see a Dunn deal done (pardon my pun) but this trade won't be announced till right before the deadlie. All this Dunn stuff if fishy and this will be an interestlng next 10 hours.

The part of that wheeling and dealing that's already happened was the trade that sent Jackson to the White Sox, with rookie right-hander Daniel Hudson and pitching prospect David Holmberg -- a former No. 2 draft pick -- ending up with the D-backs. But two sources with knowledge of those discussions told Rumblings there was only a remote chance of the White Sox turning around and spinning Jackson to Washington in a deal for Dunn.

However, another baseball man, a guy who has had many dealings with White Sox GM Kenny Williams, was skeptical of that talk, saying: "They really want the bat. Always remember this: Kenny's M.O. is to get Adam Dunn, not Edwin Jackson. Kenny lives to walk the red carpet."

Jayson Stark/ESPN

Without naming the Nationals, Williams did little to hide his distaste for how the trading process has gone this July.

''It's been more frustrating,'' he said. ''I'm not going to tell you why.

''There are some new general managers that do business in a different way, and some of us have to adjust to that.''

Asked if that meant the demands have been high for left-handed hitting, Williams said, ''I've found some to be high, and I've found some to be more reasonable.

''All I can say on that without venturing into areas that I don't really want to venture into is that this team is fighting hard every night, and we're comfortable and confident that if there is an opportunity to add to it in any way, shape or form, just know that we're working on it, and that it's with the mind-set that we don't want to take away from the club that you see out on the field. It will have to be done within the system.''

Williams said he ''hoped'' there might be another deal completed today but seemed ready to accept, as Guillen did, that the heavy lifting was accomplished in having acquired a starting pitcher.

''When you're contending, you want more certainty as to how you're going to be able to shape up in your rotation, which ultimately has an effect on your bullpen,'' Williams said. ''The bullpen has been one of our strengths all year, and the last thing we want to do is tax that bullpen at a time when we're going to need them the most.

''This is going to come down to pitching as we go down the stretch, and ultimately I think this is going to be decided by who pitches the best. [Jackson is] a move for today. And we've got him for next year. Our plans are always the same -- to win today and position ourselves for tomorrow.''

Toni Ginetti, suntimes.com/sports