Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Is anyone here concerned about Dunn's strike outs and decreasing walk rate? Plus the .276 batting average is the highest of his career.

Walking is an old people's skill. More likely than not, that's a result of him putting the ball in play more.

The average is going to go down, his BABIP is quite high as of now (.340 something).

The thing I worry about with getting all these players who are currently doing well is that they're kind of playing above their career norms. This only means that they'll end up regressing over the course of the season in which they will be on our team.

You'd never like to see that. One guy who does not fit that bill is Adam LaRoche, he's historically a second half guy.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Is anyone here concerned about Dunn's strike outs and decreasing walk rate? Plus the .276 batting average is the highest of his career.

Which could account for the decreased walk rate, he's only walked 8 times in the month of June but he's hitting .300, he's been making a conscience effort to put the ball in play more, not sure how long that will last since it's just not his game. I could care less about strikeouts when he's putting up a near .400 wOBA. I don't see much more upside in an infield popup compared to K. With Dunn also comes the shift which means next to no double plays, keep that in mind also.

One thing I am curious about is how Dunn were to react if he were put into a division race. Some guys just take it to another level, others just wilt. Dunn has never really been on a team that has been in a race

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
One thing I am curious about is how Dunn were to react if he were put into a division race. Some guys just take it to another level, others just wilt. Dunn has never really been on a team that has been in a race

Didn't Arizona trade for him while in the NL West race in 2008?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Which could account for the decreased walk rate, he's only walked 8 times in the month of June but he's hitting .300, he's been making a conscience effort to put the ball in play more, not sure how long that will last since it's just not his game. I could care less about strikeouts when he's putting up a near .400 wOBA. I don't see much more upside in an infield popup compared to K. With Dunn also comes the shift which means next to no double plays, keep that in mind also.

People overvalue the strikeout thing far too much.

A strikeout is technically worth -.3 runs according to linear weights. A normal out is -.25 or something. The differences aren't large enough to get all crazy over.

This is why people thinking Jim Thome sucked because he struck out too much pissed me off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
Didn't Arizona trade for him while in the NL West race in 2008?

Yeah and he played about the same way he did when he wasn't in a race with Cincinnati.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
Yeah and he played about the same way he did when he wasn't in a race with Cincinnati.

He basically matched his career numbers with them. He was also consistently being pitched around to get to Reynolds and Tracy who did next to nothing in the final 2 months of the season in '08, Dunn's walk rate with the D-Backs was nearly 30%.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
He basically matched his career numbers with them. He was also consistently being pitched around to get to Reynolds and Tracy who did next to nothing in the final 2 months of the season in '08, Dunn's walk rate with the D-Backs was nearly 30%.

So I guess he'd get some nice pitches hitting between Rios and Paulie.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)

I think Dunn would probably bat 5th.

If Rios starts slumping, Carlos will probably start hitting 3rd.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)

It'd be interesting to see where he hits considering how well Quentin is hitting right now (.275/.376/.625/1.001, .426 wOBA in June). He should be well protected in the middle of our lineup hitting between Konerko and Quentin.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)

Good post. I still don't know if I would give up Hudson or Flowers for Dunn though. Maybe Torres and Morel or Retherford or Danks 2 or someone like that.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
Good post. I still don't know if I would give up Hudson or Flowers for Dunn though. Maybe Torres and Morel or Retherford or Danks 2 or someone like that.

And if I were the Nats...I wouldn't even think of doing it for any and all of the other guys you list.

It's a shame we'd have to offer up Hudson + probably somebody like Rethorford, for a rental player

Dunn is a guy we should've paid for in the offseason, it's not hard to see what his power numbers would look like in the Cell

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
And if I were the Nats...I wouldn't even think of doing it for any and all of the other guys you list.

It's pretty damn clear that they will want Hudson.

I hate to say it, but I'd guess it would be Hudson, Morel and Brandon Short for Dunn. Short should have been promoted to B'ham a long time ago considering the numbers he's put up in W-S. If the White Sox give up that package, they better resign Dunn after 2010.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
I would not necessarily be against acquiring the contract of Adam Dunn but not at the expense of good young players in our system. Let's grow our own for a change.

That would be nice, the White Sox would have to change their entire draft philosphy though.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
I hate to say it, but I'd guess it would be Hudson, Morel and Brandon Short for Dunn. Short should have been promoted to B'ham a long time ago considering the numbers he's put up in W-S. If the White Sox give up that package, they better resign Dunn after 2010.

Why would the Nationals want Morel? They have Zimmerman. Unless they think Morel will be a good enough offensive player in a corner OF position, I don't think they'd want him.

Jordan Danks makes more sense for them.

I wish we still had Brandon Allen. He'd be a good piece to a deal like this.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
It's a shame we'd have to offer up Hudson + probably somebody like Rethorford, for a rental player

Dunn is a guy we should've paid for in the offseason, it's not hard to see what his power numbers would look like in the Cell

We could have kept Jim Thome also at a real good price. He was a great fit for this team albeit limited to the DH role. I have not seen where this rotating DH idea has been all that great although the concept made sense.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)

That's approximately the type of package I might settle for if I were Washington...but I'd also listen for better offers as well, and it's probably 50/50 whether or not I'd get one.

And if the Sox were to actually sign Dunn after this year, you can say goodbye to several players we already figured on being gone for sure. The only way Konerko would remain was if he signed to a big discount. But having Dunn and Konerko available for 1B and DH would be nice.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Why would the Nationals want Morel? They have Zimmerman. Unless they think Morel will be a good enough offensive player in a corner OF position, I don't think they'd want him.

Jordan Danks makes more sense for them.

I wish we still had Brandon Allen. He'd be a good piece to a deal like this.

If a guy can hit, then they'll find a spot for him. Morel has more upside to be a consistant .300 than Danks. I like Danks a lot, mostly for his defense. But his ceiling is only as a 7 hitter in the National League or 8 in the American.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
But his ceiling is only as a 7 hitter in the National League or 8 in the American.

I disagree on that being his "Ceiling" if we're defining ceiling as the best player he could possibly be. I just think it's becoming progressively less likely that he'll reach his ceiling