Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
Wite, what would you rather do though, spend all this money on a competitive team that simply does not have the tools to actually win anything, or spend a bit more and field a team that actually can win something? I think Kenny and Jerry have always taken the latter approach.

---

What it comes down to is I believe the difference in our offense between Fielder and Kotsay would be far greater than the dropoff between Danks and Hudson, which would improve us overall and possibly put us over the top, while not killing us for the immediate future or the long term.

And if need be, if it doesn't work out, I am sure Fielder could be dealt midseason next year to add cheap pieces for the remainder of 2011 and beyond.

I think you wait and try and find the right deal for the team. If that's an impact bat like Fielder, then so be it. If it's a smaller acquistion or two, so be it. If you don't find that deal, stick with your horses and pray like hell that it works out. It worked in 2005, didn't work in 2006, and worked in 2008. There were obviously additions made to all of those teams, but nothing major (I don't consider Griffey a major move...he was a big name, and made a big play in game 163, but, in all reality, his addition was simply adding a better than replacement level bat to the club...it has its value, but it's not a huge deal).

I also find it hard to justify acquiring a big bat because all of the other teams have great lineups. It is true that they have great lineups, but the Sox also have a great pitching staff (and it is one of the best in the AL), which is a counter to those teams with great lineups. Beyond that, the two main competitors for the Sox are the Twins and Tigers, and neither has the pitching staff that can pitch with the likes of the Sox. The Twins could, especially if they added Cliff Lee (at which point I do think a move would probably be necessary), but I don't think you need to jump the gun yet.

I certainly do believe the Sox can win without Danks, and I understand exactly where you are coming from. I just don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul with any move they make.

(I also think it would be harder to win in the postseason without that 4th starter...I like Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Hudson/Garcia, but, to me, it doesn't seem nearly as threatening as Danks-Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd does...that's an entirely different debate though)

I want fielder and cliff lee :P

Gavin floyd, vicedo, and some low level specs for lee

Hudson, flowers, and some low level specs for fielder

never happening - I know - but that would make me cream

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
I want fielder and cliff lee :P

Gavin floyd, vicedo, and some low level specs for lee

Hudson, flowers, and some low level specs for fielder

never happening - I know - but that would make me cream

Yeah it would also be sweet watching them both leave as Free Agents too

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
I'm the last person who would trade prospects, but Fielder's only 26, he's a proven commodity, if he can be resigned for at least 5 years, the White Sox should consider it. I imagine the Brewers would want either Viciedo or Flowers as the centerpiece in the deal, a replacement level player to take over first base. They'll want at least two pitchers, possibly three and one or two position players. You're looking at sending them five players for Fielder. Fielder isn't a free agent until after 2011, so they would be need to be overwhelmed.

Not only is that way too much to give up for a season and a half of Fielder, but I'd be surprised if it would really take that much. I did read that the Brewers are reportedly not interested in trading either Fielder or Hart, as they are considered core players, and the Brewers do not want to go into a full rebuilding mode. If that's true, then perhaps they would need to be overwhelmed to be persuaded to alter that plan. However, even then, your speculation still sounds like an awful lot for them to ask.

Which two or three pitchers were you contemplating? If you are talking about some Minor League pitcher, other than Hudson, then perhaps that would be reasonable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
I'd put BJ in RF

BJ Upton isn't even hitting better than Juan Pierre.. I understand he has talent and a tremendous skill set, but ide rather we get someone who is already hitting good than to acquire BJ Upton for potential..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
BJ Upton isn't even hitting better than Juan Pierre.. I understand he has talent and a tremendous skill set, but ide rather we get someone who is already hitting good than to acquire BJ Upton for potential..

Problem is you can probably count those guys on about 3 fingers right now.

QUOTE (opwhitesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
If the Sox can pull off the Prince deal they could afford to sign him to an extension. Don't forget the Sox found an extra 6 million for their offer to Johny Damon. The extra seats they sell in a playoff run will also hlp pay the bills.

Fielder will cost way more than this organization is going to be willing to pay, extension wise

QUOTE (opwhitesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
If the Sox can pull off the Prince deal they could afford to sign him to an extension. Don't forget the Sox found an extra 6 million for their offer to Johny Damon. The extra seats they sell in a playoff run will also hlp pay the bills.

It'd take a little more than an extra $6 million to resign Fielder.