Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
If I'm going to spend $20 million on someone, I want to say that, without a doubt, they are one of the best in baseball. Can you really say that about Prince Fielder?

If he performs like last year, yes

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
Lets spitball a bit. Who out of all the contenders will be in need of a 1B/DH?

Those teams would be: NYY, BOS, TBR, DET, MIN, CHW, TEX, LAA, ATL, NYM, PHI, CIN, STL, SDP, LAD, COL, SFG?

Tampa, us, LAA, possibly ATL, possibly SFG

Cliff Lee-S- Mariners Jul. 5 - 10:54 pm et

A source tells Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that there are "interesting discussions" and "possibilities" that Cliff Lee could be sent to the Twins.

It's unclear if this means the two sides are currently talking or anything is imminent, but it's interesting nonetheless. The Twins obviously have the prospects to get a deal done right now. It's just a matter of whether the Mariners value those prospects over other team's prospects.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Related: Twins

It's looking more and more like Cliff Lee to the Twins is in the works. Kenny will fight fire with fire and make a deal for either Prince or Dunn. Worry about 2011 & 2012 next year. Lets make a serious run this year.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
I think its way too early to be counting on Sale being in the rotation in 2012, let alone ever. Let's wait until he has more than one minor league game under his belt.

I'm not counting on anything.

But if you're going to start looking at payroll expenditures for 2 years from now, you've got to assume that is where you'd plug Sale in there.

Wouldn't you agree that the Org would hope to have Sale in their starting rotation in 2012?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
Glaus does have 14 HR and a .822 OPS and Aubrey Huff is at 15/.900

Glaus is an injury risk and the Giants will be looking for another bat.

It's hard to speculate exactly who would have interest...but my guess is all you would need would be 3-4 interested parties and that is plenty.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
I'm not counting on anything.

But if you're going to start looking at payroll expenditures for 2 years from now, you've got to assume that is where you'd plug Sale in there.

Wouldn't you agree that the Org would hope to have Sale in their starting rotation in 2012?

absolutely. I am just saying there have been far better pitching prospects than him that have not made it. You just never know with pitchers, a lot can go wrong.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:31 PM)
absolutely. I am just saying there have been far better pitching prospects than him that have not made it. You just never know with pitchers, a lot can go wrong.

My guess is that with Jake being on the payroll for $17 million, Floyd at $7 million, and Danks probably around $10 million (assuming he would still be here), your other two arms are going to be low-cost arms.

Whether one of those ends up being Sale or not, I don't know.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
My guess is that with Jake being on the payroll for $17 million, Floyd at $7 million, and Danks probably around $10 million (assuming he would still be here), you're other two arms are going to be low-cost arms.

Whether one of those ends up being Sale or not, I don't know.

i sure hope danks is still here and if mark is then a low cost arm with be a necessity

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
i sure hope danks is still here and if mark is then a low cost arm with be a necessity

Well, unless we somehow become extraordinarily gifted at developing position players, one of those guys at least are going to have to be gone.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
I think its way too early to be counting on Sale being in the rotation in 2012, let alone ever. Let's wait until he has more than one minor league game under his belt.

Thank you voice of reason.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
Thank you voice of reason.

Again, it's not about Sale, in particular, but someone like him. Someone in his same salary slot. Whether that be him or someone else that rises to the challenge, I could give a s***.

I seriously wouldn't doubt it if KW is targeting Cliff Lee as his number 1 target with a deal involving John Danks, Dayan Viceado, Tyler Flowers, and company.

2 reasons -

1.) you keep him away from the twins

2.) if you can sign Lee to an extention - it negates not having Danks locked up / losing Danks

I sure would love me some Cliff Lee action.

Then he could find some offensive help that isn't a crazy bat like Dunn or Fielder but someone that should only yeild a B or C level prospect.

If I'm KW - I'm doing EVERYTHING in my power to sell the farm on Lee and get a deal consumated for an extention.

Don't wake me up... It's nice dreaming :)

question thou:

if your Seattle - does a package of Danks/Dayan/Flowers/etc

excite you more than what the twins could offer?

I don't know about their farm system

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
I seriously wouldn't doubt it if KW is targeting Cliff Lee as his number 1 target with a deal involving John Danks, Dayan Viceado, Tyler Flowers, and company.

2 reasons -

2.) if you can sign Lee to an extention - it negates not having Danks locked up / losing Danks

Then he could find some offensive help that isn't a crazy bat like Dunn or Fielder but someone that should only yeild a B or C level prospect.

If I'm KW - I'm doing EVERYTHING in my power to sell the farm on Lee and get a deal consumated for an extention.

question thou:

that destroys the two players that the twins are offering and IMO is way overpaying.

2 reasons -

question thou:

We would be overpaying in the extreme to do that.

I wouldn't trade Danks straight-up for Lee.

The Twins have all the pieces to trump our offer, Kyle Gibson, Ramos at catcher (although injured/non-performing this year), Revere, Hicks, etc.

Heck, they could trade Duensing/Blackburn/Slowey as part of the deal too and not miss a beat.

If the Twins really want to go head-to-head with us, there's no way Kenny can beat that unless he gives up 2/3 (Hudson/Flowers/Viciedo) and Danks or Floyd.

The problem is that the Twins won't have to weaken their major league roster as much as we would because of their much deeper system...and they wouldn't have to seriously damage their 2011-2013 chances either, because we're counting a ton on Hudson/Flowers/Viciedo all making major contribution in the coming years at cost-controlled prices.

Things would be a heckuva lot easier if Beckham would have showed up to play and had not KW got an itchy trigger finger with not only the Teahen move (and duious extension) but also giving up prematurely on Viciedo at that position as well. Perhaps his play at 3B (so far) has been the most pleasant surprise so far to me about Dayan's brief major league stay.

Edited by caulfield12

2 reasons -

question thou:

I'm pretty sure that package could get almost anyone in the bigs.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
I'm pretty sure that package could get almost anyone in the bigs.

yeah, Danks could fetch a ransom on the market with a trade but he's an important part of a championship ballclub that wishes to be more than a 1-year wonder

The reason I don't mind losing Danks for Lee would hinge on signability.

Danks and Boras haven't accepted any extentions in the past. Boras always wants to get his clients to free agency... and in free agency Danks and Lee are looking at similar numbers.

So, if you can trade for Lee and sign him to an extention... Do it - even if it means losing Danks.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
Danks doesn't have Boras anymore I don't think

He doesn't.

But Lee is going to be just as difficult, if not more difficult to sign than Danksy, and Lee is going to cost you more over the next 2.5 years than Danks would, even if you went to arb with Danks.