Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
3 way trade...

Hudson to milwaukee

Santos to team X for two starting pitching prospects ( who also go to the brewers )

We get fielder

I don't know if it's worth Santos and hudson to get fielder but I think you could do it

discuss

Why would a team give up two pitching prospects for a very raw and unrefined middle reliever when they could use both pitching prospects in middle relief instead?

If you are going to get starting pitching prospects from someone, it's going to cost guys like Viciedo, Flowers, Morel, Danks2, and whoever else has value.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
If you are going to get starting pitching prospects from someone, it's going to cost guys like Viciedo, Flowers, Morel, Danks2, and whoever else has value.

Aside from Hudson, you just named all of them.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
If you add Beckham to the deal, could you legitimately ask for Brett Lawrie in return as well?

I'm not adding Beckham to the deal, and neither is Kenny.

Kenny could have had a lot of players for Gordon, A-Gon, Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, to name a few and has not bit.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
Why would a team give up two pitching prospects for a very raw and unrefined middle reliever when they could use both pitching prospects in middle relief instead?

I think that teams would jump at Santos for AA and AAA pitching prospects.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
I'm not adding Beckham to the deal, and neither is Kenny.

Kenny could have had a lot of players for Gordon, A-Gon, Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, to name a few and has not bit.

I know, the only way you do add Beckham is if you get Lawrie in return. I just wondered if the Brewers would scoff at that.

Fielder would put us in a financial pickle next year. He'd literally hand-cuff this team with his arbitration. You don't need a huge .400 wOBA hitter like Fielder or Dunn. You need somebody who's better than the combined .320 wOBA Kotsay and Jones are putting up. Adam LaRoche, David DeJesus, Luke Scott, they all can do that. You don't want to over-do it.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
The important thing is that if you can't extend him, then is it worth it to sell off all the top prospects for a year and a half of Fielder?

Another question: do you really want to be the team that locks up Fielder to an 8 year, $180M deal? I know I don't. His prospects are scary 4 years down the road, let alone 9.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Fielder would put us in a financial pickle next year. He'd literally hand-cuff this team with his arbitration. You don't need a huge .400 wOBA hitter like Fielder or Dunn. You need somebody who's better than the combined .320 wOBA Kotsay and Jones are putting up. Adam LaRoche, David DeJesus, Luke Scott, they all can do that. You don't want to over-do it.

Hah, why would he do that?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
Agreed...we would need Sale...Torres is garbage

count me as someone who is not a fan of throwing our 1st round pick into the middle of the pennant race when he hasn't had a minor league start yet...

not that im a fan of torres, but if we deal hudson im not a huge fan of any of our options

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Hah, why would he do that?

Because he'd get somewhere around $15 million from the arbitrator and that's pretty much all we're going to have to spend on players next year.

Just seems like if we fill one hole with Fielder, we'd be creating a huge hole in our starting pitching rotation. As much as I love Prince Fielder, it's just not realistic to give up so much for him and then be handicapped in the long run due to his contract demands. Same goes with Dunn.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)
Because he'd get somewhere around $15 million from the arbitrator and that's pretty much all we're going to have to spend on players next year.

I know that...you said he would literally handcuff us....I doubt he is going to literally attempt to handcuff us. I think you meant figuratively.

Sorry, just being an ass. ;)

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Does Sale have command of 3 pitches? What makes him good enough to be a solid #5? What evidence suggests this? We drafted him a month ago.

Sale has the makeup to be a starter long term...but there is zero chance that they'd consider him as a starter this year. They've basically said that they have no interest in pushing him for a lot of innings since he threw a lot in college this year.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)
Olney tweets Sox would have to give up Gordon to acquire Fielder. I like Fielder but I don't think Kenny would pull the trigger on the trade with some of the names being mentioned. I think it's a play for Dunn/Rizzo to make up his mind.

It would make no sense for Milwaukee to go after Beckham, as they have Weeks and Lawrie. The Brewers want pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
It would make no sense for Milwaukee to go after Beckham, as they have Weeks and Lawrie. The Brewers want pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

And the only pitcher in our Org worth enough to be the centerpiece of a deal for Fielder is starting tonight.