Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
It would make no sense for Milwaukee to go after Beckham, as they have Weeks and Lawrie. The Brewers want pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

I imagine they'd trade one or two of those guys for pitching.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
Olney tweets Sox would have to give up Gordon to acquire Fielder. I like Fielder but I don't think Kenny would pull the trigger on the trade with some of the names being mentioned. I think it's a play for Dunn/Rizzo to make up his mind.

I disagree. I believe that Rizzo genuinely has no intention of dealing Dunn unless he simply gets an offer he cannot refuse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
And the only pitcher in our Org worth enough to be the centerpiece of a deal for Fielder is starting tonight.

I think Danks would interest Milwaukee as well. However, I really don't expect a blockbuster trade thanks mostly to the Peavy injury. There's just no depth now (not like there was much to start). Don't forget that Ozzie is not the biggest fan of Torres.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Another question: do you really want to be the team that locks up Fielder to an 8 year, $180M deal? I know I don't. His prospects are scary 4 years down the road, let alone 9.

which is why i dont think theres any truth to this rumor, the sox wont give him 8 yrs and boras wants a ton of money for him(atleast teixeira money) i rather wait for agone and get a lesser player this yr

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
I think Danks would interest Milwaukee as well. However, I really don't expect a blockbuster trade thanks mostly to the Peavy injury. There's just no depth now (not like there was much to start). Don't forget that Ozzie is not the biggest fan of Torres.

The only reason D1 wouldn't interest Milwaukee is that he's on a 2012 FA path, with expensive arbitration years coming up, while G is locked through 2013 if you count the team option.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
3 way trade...

Hudson to milwaukee

Santos to team X for two starting pitching prospects ( who also go to the brewers )

We get fielder

I don't know if it's worth Santos and hudson to get fielder but I think you could do it

discuss

How dare you...

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
If I was Milwaukee - I'd sure as hell want more than a package based around Hudson as well.

You never know what K-dub will be able to pull off though... That sly dog. :)

What would you want?

QUOTE (ICP! @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
How dare you...

I had to piss you off and aggravate your mod/god complex so that you may transcend my son.

:D

that and curious to see if they're still making bans here for rediculious things.

"you said discuss at the end of a post! 30 day ban!!!"

:P

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
3 starting pitching prospects - one of which projects as a number 1/2 and is in AAA

Interesting. Given the cash considerations involved I don't think they're going to do that well...but you never know.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Interesting. Given the cash considerations involved I don't think they're going to do that well...but you never know.

Then there's little reason for them to deal him, esp. now.

Just look what the Braves gave up for Tex when they originally got him. Salty, Feliz, and Andrus were in that deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Then there's little reason for them to deal him, esp. now.

Just look what the Braves gave up for Tex when they originally got him. Salty, Feliz, and Andrus were in that deal.

The difference is the Braves had a deep system and a desire to win that particular year.

The Brewers have a huge need for arms and no chance to contend this year, and no ability to keep both Prince and Braun.

A better barometer would probably be what the Angels gave up to get Teix from the Braves.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
The difference is the Braves had a deep system and a desire to win that particular year.

The Brewers have a huge need for arms and no chance to contend this year, and no ability to keep both Prince and Braun.

A better barometer would probably be what the Angels gave up to get Teix from the Braves.

The Braves didn't expect to keep Tex either. The Brewers are in the Rangers spot in this scenario. The unnamed team acquiring Fielder is the team that would be gunning for the pennant this year and having to give up a ton.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
The Braves didn't expect to keep Tex either. The Brewers are in the Rangers spot in this scenario. The unnamed team acquiring Fielder is the team that would be gunning for the pennant this year and having to give up a ton.

I suppose....there seemed to be a lot more interest in Teix than Fielder...probably due to the increased value placed on pre-arb players these days.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
I suppose....there seemed to be a lot more interest in Teix than Fielder...probably due to the increased value placed on pre-arb players these days.

Part of that is his ability to play the field, part of that is the booming 1b salary, part of that is Fielder's conditioning, but honestly, they ought to hold out for a similar package and if they don't get it, they don't need to move him. That team still could compete next year.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
Rather than giving up Beckham... wonder if they'd be interested in Quentin?? I love Quentin but he is so fragile. I figure for that reason alone they'd be less inclined to take him but ya never know.

Quentin is far too valuable to the White Sox to get anywhere near full value for him. To the White Sox, he's a great #4-5 hitter who has the potential to hit 30+ homers this season still. To any other team, he's an injury risk who is not good defensively who also happens to be an extremely streaky hitter. You can't deal Quentin in any deal and realistically still call yourselves contenders. A lot of the White Sox season is riding on his shoulders, which is the biggest reason the Sox are coddling him through every single injury.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
Quentin is far too valuable to the White Sox to get anywhere near full value for him. To the White Sox, he's a great #4-5 hitter who has the potential to hit 30+ homers this season still. To any other team, he's an injury risk who is not good defensively who also happens to be an extremely streaky hitter. You can't deal Quentin in any deal and realistically still call yourselves contenders. A lot of the White Sox season is riding on his shoulders, which is the biggest reason the Sox are coddling him through every single injury.

Besides the SP, we wouldn't even be talking about upgrading if not for CQ going nuts. There's no scenario in which you subtract Carlos that this team gets better.

Edited by Jordan4life

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6494629.story

SEATTLE — With a roster that has produced only 16 home runs and 73 RBIs from the left side and has lost marquee pitcher Jake Peavy for the remainder of the year, it's no secret the White Sox have intensified their efforts to improve their chances of winning the American League Central.

And the Brewers' slugging first baseman Prince Fielder could be in their sights.

"When you're in first place, it's nicer," general manager Ken Williams said Wednesday after a meeting in manager Ozzie Guillen's office that lasted at least 20 minutes. "When you're on the opposite end of the spectrum, it's not so nice.

Register with Chicago Tribune and receive free newsletters and alerts >>

"But we're always in the same mode. It's just kind of waiting for other teams wanting to do things and be kind of more aggressive along those lines of moving personnel around."

Williams has been known for his aggressiveness around the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline, and the Brewers, who have the left-handed hitting Fielder 1 1/2 years away from free agency, had a scout at Monday night's Sox game at Seattle.

Fielder, who could play first base and designated hitter in the AL, is not eligible for free agency until 2011. Nationals slugger Adam Dunn, who can become a free agent after this season, has told reporters he's hesitant to handle DH duties on a full-time basis.

There's another report that the Sox have inquired about Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista.

Williams and Brewers counterpart Doug Melvin completed a blockbuster trade on the final day of the 2004 Winter Meetings that brought the Sox leadoff man Scott Podsednik and reliever Luis Vizcaino for slugger Carlos Lee.

"We're looking to improve the team in any way, shape and form," Williams replied when asked about focusing his efforts on acquiring a left-handed hitter.

Williams is concerned that adding a player would hurt the climate in the clubhouse.

Manager Ozzie Guillen quipped Tuesday the Sox had "traded" for second baseman Gordon Beckham, who has rebounded after a slow start with an eight-game hitting streak that ended Tuesday. Carlos Quentin, who Nationals GM Mike Rizzo drafted when he worked for the Diamondbacks, hasn't played since Sunday because of a sore hand.

Guillen reiterated he liked the roster as is but added any changes are up to Williams.

"Kenny sees our team in a different way than I do," Guillen said. "He sees what's missing. But from down here, I'm happy with what we have."

Guillen also wondered about the depth of the trade market.

"Now, it's the same names — (Roy) Oswalt, (Dan) Haren and Dunn," Guillen said. "That's the three guys. There are a lot of horse(bleep) players out there if they only want three. Every team wants the same people."