Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
I wonder if the brewers would do Fielder and Alcides Escobar for Beckham, Hudson, and Viceido

I don't think either team would do that. The Brewers have the bats, but are lacking in pitching and getting only Hudson doesn't help them very much.

Fielder may help the DH spot, but it would hurt the Sox at the 5th starter spot and 2B. No thanks.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)
I don't think either team would do that. The Brewers have the bats, but are lacking in pitching and getting only Hudson doesn't help them very much.

Fielder may help the DH spot, but it would hurt the Sox at the 5th starter spot and 2B. No thanks.

If Beckham is included in any deal, I wouldn't mind getting Mark Ellis from Oakland to fill the 2B job. I would hope Ozzie wouldn't just hand it over to Teahen.

For the record, I think if the Tigers land Haren or Twins land Oswalt, then Kenny will get Fielder, but it still won't include Gordon.

I also think the limited Fielder market helps us.

If you think about it, Hudson-Flowers-Viciedo-Torres-Short could be far-and-away the best offer the Brewers would get considering the Rays and Angels don't seem like they want to touch him and the Giants probably wouldn't match that. It's also the only deal I could see the Sox parting with Viciedo.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 03:36 AM)
If you think about it, Hudson-Flowers-Viciedo-Torres-Short could be far-and-away the best offer the Brewers would get considering the Rays and Angels don't seem like they want to touch him and the Giants probably wouldn't match that. It's also the only deal I could see the Sox parting with Viciedo.

Who fills the 5th starter spot?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
Who fills the 5th starter spot?

Isnt this that time of year that Paul Byrd is available? LOL

God, I would hate to have that man on my team. Always disliked his face.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
I'm not sure that wouldn't more than offset whatever extra wins we'd get from Fielder in the lineup.

It's a question of whether we can continue to get excellent results from our 1-4 while going .500 during the 5th starter's games. If we could get that done with Fielder in our lineup than we should lock up the division and make the 5th slot a moot point in October.

Of course that puts a ton of pressure on our 1-4 to get the job done but with added offense it might not be so bad.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
It's a question of whether we can continue to get excellent results from our 1-4 while going .500 during the 5th starter's games. If we could get that done with Fielder in our lineup than we should lock up the division and make the 5th slot a moot point in October.

Of course that puts a ton of pressure on our 1-4 to get the job done but with added offense it might not be so bad.

With TPain as the 5th starter...and nothing even resembling a long man in the pen, and presumably Marquez taking the decent innings Pena has gotten (since he's the only one we left)....500 from the 5th starter would be a miracle.

I think we'd be lucky to win 1 out of the last 10 starts from the 5th stater spot.

QUOTE (ICP! @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
Isnt this that time of year that Paul Byrd is available? LOL

God, I would hate to have that man on my team. Always disliked his face.

That is the right mindset though, not Byrd obviously, but getting a SP who is in the final year of his deal who can put up .500 type numbers and be reasonable cost wise for 1/3 of the season remaining. So that brings it to Dave Bush, Doug Davis, Brian Moehler, Kevin Millwood, Brett Myers, Nate Robertson, Ben Sheets,Livan Hernandez or Ted Lilly realistically as guys who could help. The rest of the guys in final years of the deal are either on contending teams or are real, real, real bad.

Then you have guys like Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, etc, who could help for 2 months if those type of guys really wanted to come back and could still be effective.

I still think keeping Hudson and trading for Adam LaRoche who could be dealt for soooo much less makes the most sense at this point.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
That is the right mindset though, not Byrd obviously, but getting a SP who is in the final year of his deal who can put up .500 type numbers and be reasonable cost wise for 1/3 of the season remaining. So that brings it to Dave Bush, Doug Davis, Brian Moehler, Kevin Millwood, Brett Myers, Nate Robertson, Ben Sheets,Livan Hernandez or Ted Lilly realistically as guys who could help. The rest of the guys in final years of the deal are either on contending teams or are real, real, real bad.

Then you have guys like Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, etc, who could help for 2 months if those type of guys really wanted to come back and could still be effective.

I still think keeping Hudson and trading for Adam LaRoche who could be dealt for soooo much less makes the most sense at this point.

Pedro announced he has no plans to pitch this year, maybe next year

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
Not a chance in hell Brewers trade Fielder without getting some pitching back.

In a deal the Sox would do, it starts with at least Hudson, Viciedo, and Flowers, and then maybe more if they think they'd have a shot at it next year if they hold onto Fielder.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
They might find a taker for Viciedo or Flowers and get SP 'spects in return that they could deal to Milwaukee.

I really feel like these type of deals are nearly impossible. Teams just don't do extra deals of prospect for prospect just because they don't match up with needs.

The closest I can come up with the the Lee/Halladay swap the Phils did, because they didn't want to give up everything from their system, but even then they weren't swapping prospect for prospect on need.

In a deal the Sox would do, it starts with at least Hudson, Viciedo, and Flowers, and then maybe more if they think they'd have a shot at it next year if they hold onto Fielder.

If they are going to give us Fielder, my guess is the deal has to include Beckham with Hudson, Flowers for sure and maybe more.

The GM will get run out of town if it's Viciedo in place of Beckham.

I wonder if KW can somehow get creative and involve a 3rd team to the mix to add even more pitching for Milwaukee. This is the only scenario i can see how a deal would work w/o giving up Beckham.

Also, can the White Sox involve Jared Mitchell in a deal yet? I know there is a limit on newly drafted players.