Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
I know that Ozzie is supposed to say the team is fine, but damn am I tired of hearing that. To everyone else there is a glaring need for a left-handed bat.

KW will bring in someone. I can promise you that. He wans to make a HUGE splash in Fielder- but many think the Sox don't have enough ammo unless they part ways with Bacon.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would much rather focus on getting someone like Yonder Alonso, young, under team control, and not nearly the expense in prospects. A deal based around Putz and some minor leaguers like Morel, and low level pitchers could probably get the deal done. Cinci is in win now mode and is hurting for bullpen help, Alonso is blocked behind the NL MVP and had a bad start to the season in AAA so his value is not at its peak. It also fills the hole at 1B next season and gives the team some flexibility with Viciendo at either 3B or DH. If you need to include Hudson you may also be able to pry Bailey back and give Coop a chance to "fix 'em". You might even be able to include Teahen if Rolen is hurt for a significant amount of time.

Fielder is going to cost way too much in terms of prospects and $$, it appears Dunn will as well. I would rather roll the dice with a young guy than trade away the future for a big question mark. Neither Dunn nor Fielder have ever played in the AL and there would be some adjustment period and adding a veteran can cause chemistry issues, see Nick Swisher.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
Would much rather focus on getting someone like Yonder Alonso, young, under team control, and not nearly the expense in prospects. A deal based around Putz and some minor leaguers like Morel, and low level pitchers could probably get the deal done. Cinci is in win now mode and is hurting for bullpen help, Alonso is blocked behind the NL MVP and had a bad start to the season in AAA so his value is not at its peak. It also fills the hole at 1B next season and gives the team some flexibility with Viciendo at either 3B or DH. If you need to include Hudson you may also be able to pry Bailey back and give Coop a chance to "fix 'em". You might even be able to include Teahen if Rolen is hurt for a significant amount of time.

Fielder is going to cost way too much in terms of prospects and $$, it appears Dunn will as well. I would rather roll the dice with a young guy than trade away the future for a big question mark. Neither Dunn nor Fielder have ever played in the AL and there would be some adjustment period and adding a veteran can cause chemistry issues, see Nick Swisher.

Putz is indispensible, especially since Jenks cannot be trusted. Morel has a torn labrum apparently.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)

Trade away Putz for a 1B of the future? White Flag 2010?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)

That's all fine and dandy, but Yonder Alonso has put up a .274/.339/.410/.749 line between AA and AAA this year. He hasn't had just a bad start in the minors, he's been bad all the way around. The Sox also have Viciedo to fill the hole at 1B next year if Konerko isn't resigned, and it's not as if 1Bman are impossible to find on the free agent market.

On top that, you suggest that bringing in Dunn or Fielder might cause chemistry issues. What do you think the chemistry of the club is going to be like if they bring in a player who has never played in the majors and has sucked in the minors this season? Atleast with Fielder or Dunn, the team knows those two are very good players and have proven it over their major league careers.

You also cite that neither Dunn or Fielder has played in the AL. Personally, I don't think that's a big issue, but let's say it is. How much time has Yonder Alonso spent in the AL?

No offense intended, but your idea is beyond ridiculous, and the odds of it hurting the club far outweigh the odds of him helping the club. Trading Putz would be overkill, and it would deplete a bullpen that's already becoming very mediocre.

I remember Fielder having issues with teammates the last couple years. I can't remember who was at fault but he was in the middle of it. Dunn, by all accounts i have heard, is said to be the ultimate teammate and should fit in very well. I guess the big issue with him would be his accepting a DH role.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
That's all fine and dandy, but Yonder Alonso has put up a .274/.339/.410/.749 line between AA and AAA this year. He hasn't had just a bad start in the minors, he's been bad all the way around. The Sox also have Viciedo to fill the hole at 1B next year if Konerko isn't resigned, and it's not as if 1Bman are impossible to find on the free agent market.

On top that, you suggest that bringing in Dunn or Fielder might cause chemistry issues. What do you think the chemistry of the club is going to be like if they bring in a player who has never played in the majors and has sucked in the minors this season? Atleast with Fielder or Dunn, the team knows those two are very good players and have proven it over their major league careers.

You also cite that neither Dunn or Fielder has played in the AL. Personally, I don't think that's a big issue, but let's say it is. How much time has Yonder Alonso spent in the AL?

No offense intended, but your idea is beyond ridiculous, and the odds of it hurting the club far outweigh the odds of him helping the club. Trading Putz would be overkill, and it would deplete a bullpen that's already becoming very mediocre.

Putz really is a luxury on this team, Thornton, Jenks, and Santos can handle the seventh eighth and ninth in some order. Alonso may have more of and adjustment than Dunn or Fielder, but he also would cost sognificantly less. He did start slowly adjusting to AAA this year when he was being asked to play LF on a regular basis, in his last ten games his line is .395/.452/.474/.926 so it appears he is figured it out. Putz is gone after this year anyway so you might as well get some value out of him while you can. Trading a middle reliever is ridiculous? Really? With an infield core of Alonso, Beckham, Viciedo, and Ramirez - very cheap - the team can afford to make some other moves. Adding Dunn means more money off the books at the end of the year but leaves holes at 1B, 2B, and 3B next season, unless you are dying for an IF of Retherford, Ramirez, Teahen, and Morel. Fielder would also cost at least Bacon and Viciendo, which means you would have little around him next year either and with his contract could not afford to do much to replace them in the off-season. I am not saying that Alonso is better than Dunn or Fielder, but he is a lot better option for the White Sox when everything is taken into account. He would be a better option at DH than Kotsay and would keep the Sox from having to give up any vital pieces.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
Putz really is a luxury on this team, Thornton, Jenks, and Santos can handle the seventh eighth and ninth in some order. Alonso may have more of and adjustment than Dunn or Fielder, but he also would cost sognificantly less. He did start slowly adjusting to AAA this year when he was being asked to play LF on a regular basis, in his last ten games his line is .395/.452/.474/.926 so it appears he is figured it out. Putz is gone after this year anyway so you might as well get some value out of him while you can. Trading a middle reliever is ridiculous? Really? With an infield core of Alonso, Beckham, Viciedo, and Ramirez - very cheap - the team can afford to make some other moves. Adding Dunn means more money off the books at the end of the year but leaves holes at 1B, 2B, and 3B next season, unless you are dying for an IF of Retherford, Ramirez, Teahen, and Morel. Fielder would also cost at least Bacon and Viciendo, which means you would have little around him next year either and with his contract could not afford to do much to replace them in the off-season. I am not saying that Alonso is better than Dunn or Fielder, but he is a lot better option for the White Sox when everything is taken into account. He would be a better option at DH than Kotsay and would keep the Sox from having to give up any vital pieces.

Lost me there.

Putz has been one of the top relievers in baseball. As much as I love Sergio, he isn't Putz right now and Alonso isn't exactly tearing up the minors.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)

1) Putz is not a luxury on this team, he's a necessity. You don't trade him to "get value" for him, because his value is highest to the White Sox. And yes, trading a middle reliever when the only two sure-things in the pen are the reliever in question and one other is absolutely ridiculous. The only two pitchers that I see as being able to consistently get guys out are Putz and Thornton. Santos has stuff, but has gotten knocked around a bit over the past month or so. Pena is a mediocre middle reliever and nothing more. Linebrink can't be trusted in any game the Sox are within 4 runs of the opposition. Threets is journeyman fodder. Jenks has proven to be positively mediocre this entire year. Trading Putz, at this point in time, is absolutely absurd to even consider.

2) Alonso is going to cost significantly less than Dunn or Fielder because he is significantly worse than Dunn or Fielder. You can't use a 10 game sample and declare that a guy has figured it out. Otherwise, Tyler Flowers would be the starting catcher for the Sox. It's entirely possible he got lucky on the balls he put into play during that time period. Further, that line alone tells me I don't want him simply because he's hitting for singles and doubles while drawing the occasional walk (what is that, maybe 4 walks in 10 games?), because an Iso of .079 is Erstadian in stature.

3) The Sox could also afford to go Viciedo-Beckham-Ramirez-Morel. Or Teahen-Beckham-Ramirez-Viciedo. Or they could quite conceivably spend a little bit of money on their infield because they aren't the Florida Marlins. Just because they don't have a lot of money to work with next year doesn't mean they have absolutely none at all.

4) For whatever reason, you assume that I am willing to deal Hudson, Viciedo, and Beckham for Dunn. This is simply not the case. Further, you assume that, if the Sox did, for whatever reason, deal Hudson, Viciedo, and Beckham for Dunn, that they wouldn't go out and try to find replacements from outside the organization, when during Williams' tenure, that's been the main source of finding players. Finally, if Washington is going to deal Dunn, it really should only take one of Viciedo or Hudson (because Beckham is obviously not available) plus other players within the minors, and it may be entirely possible that Williams is able to make a deal otherwise.

5) I would say Fielder is completely out of the picture. The Brewers want pitching badly, and they apparently view Hudson as a #3 or #4. That, to me, suggests that any deal between the two teams is virtually impossible.

6) I don't necessarily believe that Alonso is an upgrade over Kotsay. His numbers in the minors this year, according to minor league splits, translate to a .233/.287/.343/.630 line in the majors. His July would be nice, but then again, Kotsay's had nice splits too.

Beyond ANY of this, this is only assuming the Sox deal for Dunn or Fielder. They could easily acquire Luke Scott, Adam LaRoche, Jose Bautista, or Jayson Werth too, and they could simply stand pat and let Teahen DH for a while too. Williams won't make a move unless it meets his price.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
1) Putz is not a luxury on this team, he's a necessity. You don't trade him to "get value" for him, because his value is highest to the White Sox. And yes, trading a middle reliever when the only two sure-things in the pen are the reliever in question and one other is absolutely ridiculous. The only two pitchers that I see as being able to consistently get guys out are Putz and Thornton. Santos has stuff, but has gotten knocked around a bit over the past month or so. Pena is a mediocre middle reliever and nothing more. Linebrink can't be trusted in any game the Sox are within 4 runs of the opposition. Threets is journeyman fodder. Jenks has proven to be positively mediocre this entire year. Trading Putz, at this point in time, is absolutely absurd to even consider.

2) Alonso is going to cost significantly less than Dunn or Fielder because he is significantly worse than Dunn or Fielder. You can't use a 10 game sample and declare that a guy has figured it out. Otherwise, Tyler Flowers would be the starting catcher for the Sox. It's entirely possible he got lucky on the balls he put into play during that time period. Further, that line alone tells me I don't want him simply because he's hitting for singles and doubles while drawing the occasional walk (what is that, maybe 4 walks in 10 games?), because an Iso of .079 is Erstadian in stature.

3) The Sox could also afford to go Viciedo-Beckham-Ramirez-Morel. Or Teahen-Beckham-Ramirez-Viciedo. Or they could quite conceivably spend a little bit of money on their infield because they aren't the Florida Marlins. Just because they don't have a lot of money to work with next year doesn't mean they have absolutely none at all.

4) For whatever reason, you assume that I am willing to deal Hudson, Viciedo, and Beckham for Dunn. This is simply not the case. Further, you assume that, if the Sox did, for whatever reason, deal Hudson, Viciedo, and Beckham for Dunn, that they wouldn't go out and try to find replacements from outside the organization, when during Williams' tenure, that's been the main source of finding players. Finally, if Washington is going to deal Dunn, it really should only take one of Viciedo or Hudson (because Beckham is obviously not available) plus other players within the minors, and it may be entirely possible that Williams is able to make a deal otherwise.

5) I would say Fielder is completely out of the picture. The Brewers want pitching badly, and they apparently view Hudson as a #3 or #4. That, to me, suggests that any deal between the two teams is virtually impossible.

6) I don't necessarily believe that Alonso is an upgrade over Kotsay. His numbers in the minors this year, according to minor league splits, translate to a .233/.287/.343/.630 line in the majors. His July would be nice, but then again, Kotsay's had nice splits too.

Beyond ANY of this, this is only assuming the Sox deal for Dunn or Fielder. They could easily acquire Luke Scott, Adam LaRoche, Jose Bautista, or Jayson Werth too, and they could simply stand pat and let Teahen DH for a while too. Williams won't make a move unless it meets his price.

:headbang

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
:headbang

:headbang :headbang

A trade for Fielder today would be right what the doctor ordered. I just need some kind of big splash to get the juices flowing.

Kenny, just make a balls out move dude. You know you have it in you. Prince has the potential to become a mega star in Chicago.

QUOTE (ICP! @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
A trade for Fielder today would be right what the doctor ordered. I just need some kind of big splash to get the juices flowing.

Kenny, just make a balls out move dude. You know you have it in you. Prince has the potential to become a mega star in Chicago.

You really want to deal with the disaster of not having a 5th starter again?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
You really want to deal with the disaster of not having a 5th starter again?

Suuuuuuuuuure...I am willing to sacrafice that for a fun baseball day today.

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Per Heyman:

"chisox like prince fielder but have discussed dunn, laroche and berkman, in that order, as possible 2nd choices."

At this point, I'd be happy with any of these 4 guys.

This makes me ecstatic.

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Per Heyman:

"chisox like prince fielder but have discussed dunn, laroche and berkman, in that order, as possible 2nd choices."

At this point, I'd be happy with any of these 4 guys.

Breaking heyman news. Thanks!

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
The order is kind of interesting.

It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect if these things are true:

Fielder's price is the highest but he's also the top player

Dunn's price is elevated well above where it should be

Berkman just flat out won't be healthy this season.

Interesting take on fielder being traded: does milwaukee believe that their best possible return will be in 8 days, or will they hang onto him and try to deal him as a 1 year rental

if they believe he is going to bring them better value in the next 8 days, why hasnt somebody snagged him yet? perhaps the closer we get to the deadline, the more trigger happy brewers GM becomes and thus might not require Beckham