Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
Thats a great point. The relief market is very publicly and frustratingly thin this year with so many teams contending -- teams are knocking down the door for Scott Downs and Craig Breslow. Oh man, that would be a KW GEM. Putz moves in as closer, Fielder/Dunn becomes the new Kotsay, Jones rests Quentin when he gets hurt every 9 days. Brilliant.

And keep in mind they have pretty much publicly said that they are going to call up Sale. If they trade Jenks, they just opened up a spot for this kid. Plus if they can do it to get players to get Fielder or Dunn? Wow. That would be incredible.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
And keep in mind they have pretty much publicly said that they are going to call up Sale. If they trade Jenks, they just opened up a spot for this kid. Plus if they can do it to get players to get Fielder or Dunn? Wow. That would be incredible.

Even if we paid his entire salary, I can't fathom how any team would be silly enough to give up anything of Legit value for Jenks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
Even if we paid his entire salary, I can't fathom how any team would be silly enough to give up anything of Legit value for Jenks.

[insertpitchingcoach] can fix him?

In all reality the arm is still there. I could see a team taking a chance on him simply because he would be way better than anything else out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)

In all reality the arm is still there. I could see a team taking a chance on him simply because he would be way better than anything else out there.

I agree with you. they wouldn't get top tier prospects back, but I could see a team giving something for him. There are a lot of crappy bull-pens on contending teams that could easily slot jenks in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)

Even with that though, he's either a 2 month rental or a $10 million+ bill for next year.

Take a look at what the Dodgers gave up for Sherrill last year. It wasn't exactly what I'd call "Pieces that you could turn around and swap for Prince Fielder".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
Even with that though, he's either a 2 month rental or a $10 million+ bill for next year.

Take a look at what the Dodgers gave up for Sherrill last year. It wasn't exactly what I'd call "Pieces that you could turn around and swap for Prince Fielder".

Josh Bell is a legit prospect. Baltimore did well in that deal.

I can easily see a team willing to take Jenks, although we shouldn't expect much in return. Although who knows, we gave up Allen for Tony Pena last year.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Josh Bell is a legit prospect. Baltimore did well in that deal.

I can easily see a team willing to take Jenks, although we shouldn't expect much in return. Although who knows, we gave up Allen for Tony Pena last year.

There's a hell of a big difference between saying Baltimore did well in that deal and saying that the pieces Baltimore got could form the basis of a deal for Fielder.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
1) Putz is not a luxury on this team, he's a necessity. You don't trade him to "get value" for him, because his value is highest to the White Sox. And yes, trading a middle reliever when the only two sure-things in the pen are the reliever in question and one other is absolutely ridiculous. The only two pitchers that I see as being able to consistently get guys out are Putz and Thornton. Santos has stuff, but has gotten knocked around a bit over the past month or so. Pena is a mediocre middle reliever and nothing more. Linebrink can't be trusted in any game the Sox are within 4 runs of the opposition. Threets is journeyman fodder. Jenks has proven to be positively mediocre this entire year. Trading Putz, at this point in time, is absolutely absurd to even consider.

2) Alonso is going to cost significantly less than Dunn or Fielder because he is significantly worse than Dunn or Fielder. You can't use a 10 game sample and declare that a guy has figured it out. Otherwise, Tyler Flowers would be the starting catcher for the Sox. It's entirely possible he got lucky on the balls he put into play during that time period. Further, that line alone tells me I don't want him simply because he's hitting for singles and doubles while drawing the occasional walk (what is that, maybe 4 walks in 10 games?), because an Iso of .079 is Erstadian in stature.

3) The Sox could also afford to go Viciedo-Beckham-Ramirez-Morel. Or Teahen-Beckham-Ramirez-Viciedo. Or they could quite conceivably spend a little bit of money on their infield because they aren't the Florida Marlins. Just because they don't have a lot of money to work with next year doesn't mean they have absolutely none at all.

4) For whatever reason, you assume that I am willing to deal Hudson, Viciedo, and Beckham for Dunn. This is simply not the case. Further, you assume that, if the Sox did, for whatever reason, deal Hudson, Viciedo, and Beckham for Dunn, that they wouldn't go out and try to find replacements from outside the organization, when during Williams' tenure, that's been the main source of finding players. Finally, if Washington is going to deal Dunn, it really should only take one of Viciedo or Hudson (because Beckham is obviously not available) plus other players within the minors, and it may be entirely possible that Williams is able to make a deal otherwise.

5) I would say Fielder is completely out of the picture. The Brewers want pitching badly, and they apparently view Hudson as a #3 or #4. That, to me, suggests that any deal between the two teams is virtually impossible.

6) I don't necessarily believe that Alonso is an upgrade over Kotsay. His numbers in the minors this year, according to minor league splits, translate to a .233/.287/.343/.630 line in the majors. His July would be nice, but then again, Kotsay's had nice splits too.

Beyond ANY of this, this is only assuming the Sox deal for Dunn or Fielder. They could easily acquire Luke Scott, Adam LaRoche, Jose Bautista, or Jayson Werth too, and they could simply stand pat and let Teahen DH for a while too. Williams won't make a move unless it meets his price.

1. Putz is a 7th inning guy who has been lights out. But to keep a middle reliever instead of getting an everday player does not make any sense. There are others in the organization that can handle that role, not to the extent that Putz has, but odds are that he will come back to earth sooner than later.

2. Yes he is not on the level of Dunn or Fielder, though he is signigicantly cheaper and under team control for six years as opposed to two months for Dunn or 14 months for Fielder.

3. They could or they could have all of those players plus Alonso which would give them a lot more payroll flexibility to sign someone another reliever and starter in the offseason.

4. From all reports it will take at least two of those three to get a deal done at this point, and the rumors are that teams are not very high on Hudson. Sure Dunn will net you two draft picks next year, but I would rather have Beckam and Viciedo.

5. Agree.

6. I dont think Alonso is a downgrade from Kotsay either and it allows Kotsay to be used in a role that is better for him as a PH. I think Alonso is on the uptick and you could compare his season this year to Beckhams, both started the year slow and both have started to turn it around.

LaRoche and Werth would be rentals and do little to keep the team competitive in the long term, which would be one more hole to fill in the offseason besides PK and AJP. Baustista is a fluke akin to Richard Hidalgo and will get too big of raise for his career level or production, Scott is a DH who could not even handle 1B last season for the O's and his production is outside of its norms this year as well so there will likely be some cooling off by him as well.

I think someone like Alonso is good enough to put this team over the top without sacrificing much in the way of the future of the franchise and can keep the team competitive in the division for years. You could use the money that would be saved to go after a C or re-sign AJ, get an SP, and two more relievers for the pen as well as sign Thornton to an extension.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
1. Putz is a 7th inning guy who has been lights out. But to keep a middle reliever instead of getting an everday player does not make any sense. There are others in the organization that can handle that role, not to the extent that Putz has, but odds are that he will come back to earth sooner than later.

In 2006 & 2007, Putz put up similar, if not better, numbers than this year, then he got injured. Odds are that he can be this good, and there is no reason why he should be expected to pitch any worse the next two months.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
LaRoche and Werth would be rentals and do little to keep the team competitive in the long term, which would be one more hole to fill in the offseason besides PK and AJP. Baustista is a fluke akin to Richard Hidalgo and will get too big of raise for his career level or production, Scott is a DH who could not even handle 1B last season for the O's and his production is outside of its norms this year as well so there will likely be some cooling off by him as well.

Whole different era when you're comparing Bautista to Hidalgo.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)

2. Yes he is not on the level of Dunn or Fielder, though he is signigicantly cheaper and under team control for six years as opposed to two months for Dunn or 14 months for Fielder.

3. They could or they could have all of those players plus Alonso which would give them a lot more payroll flexibility to sign someone another reliever and starter in the offseason.

4. From all reports it wit least two of those three to get a deal done at this point, and the rumors are that teams are not very high on Hudson. Sure Dunn will net you two draft pill take acks next year, but I would rather have Beckam and Viciedo.

5. Agree.

6. I dont think Alonso is a downgrade from Kotsay either and it allows Kotsay to be used in a role that is better for him as a PH. I think Alonso is on the uptick and you could compare his season this year to Beckhams, both started the year slow and both have started to turn it around.

I think someone like Alonso is good enough to put this team over the top without sacrificing much in the way of the future of the franchise and can keep the team competitive in the division for years. You could use the money that would be saved to go after a C or re-sign AJ, get an SP, and two more relievers for the pen as well as sign Thornton to an extension.

1. Putz has shut down offenses. That is invaluable and he was probably the best closer in baseball a few years ago.

2. Kenny would try to resign Fielder or Dunn, and he'd net 2 draft picks if not. Fielder puts fans in the seats, Alonso doesn't.

3. Alonso is faaaaaar from a sure thing. They won't need another reliever if they trade Bobby, because they'll probably sign Putz and Putz-Thornton-Santos-Pena-Bellamy (I think he could make it)-Linebrink is still a good pen. They won't need a starter because they'll have Peavy-Danks-Buehrle-Floyd-Sale/Hudson

4. Kenny is not giving up Gordon for anyone not named Pujols. He'd give up Dayan, Hudson, and Flowers for Fielder though, and one of them for Dunn.

6. Alonso is in AAA. He wouldn't be ready to contribute until at least next year.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
Fielder and Hart are officially off the market it looks like, Brewers plan on trying to compete still in the weak NL Central.

Can't say I blame them. With their offensive talent, they're really only a starter and some bullpen help away from competing in that division. Although I have no idea where they're going to find that starter.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
I know they're saying these guys are off the market but if not, I find it hard to believe Jackson isn't vastly more appealing to them than Hudson. If we are keeping Jackson, then so be it, but if you can land Fielder over Dunn for Jackson and the same prospects, I'd probably go with Cecil Jr.

Not getting fielder without including one of either Danks or Floyd, and

probably Jackson, since Kenny made it oddly clear that Beckham is untouchable