Prince Fielder Speculation

chisoxfan09

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own take is that Fielder is too expensive for the Sox to take on, esp. with Boras as the agent wanting a monster contract in 2012. That ship sailed once we traded for Jake Peavy and claimed Alex Rios. Can't see the Sox reversing field and unloading one of those guys to free money for Fielder.

LaRoche and Dunn have also been talked to death.

What do people think about Aubrey Huff? The Giants are in 4th place in the West, 7 games out. That tells me they aren't sellers yet, but if they aren't closer in a month, they probably will be.

Huff stunk last year, but had a fine season in 2008. He's a definite improvement over Kotsay/Jones. Not a huge addition, but he wouldn't cost anything either.

I would hate to be the team that gave Cliff Lee 5 years, ~$115M. Talk about a crippler. Since he had his coming out party at age 29 I do wonder if people realize he'll be 32 next year. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if the Twins traded for Lee with the stipulation that he sign an extension, alas he would almost definitely be a rental.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 04:44 AM)
So that's basically Flowers/Hudson from our perspective.

Ramos is much more liked by scouts than Hudson. Twins really have a great chip in Ramos considering they have Mauer.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
I would hate to be the team that gave Cliff Lee 5 years, ~$115M. Talk about a crippler.

You think he would get something like that if the Yankees weren't involved in the bidding?

My guess would be more like what Lackey got from Boston...5/80ish

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
My own take is that Fielder is too expensive for the Sox to take on, esp. with Boras as the agent wanting a monster contract in 2012. That ship sailed once we traded for Jake Peavy and claimed Alex Rios. Can't see the Sox reversing field and unloading one of those guys to free money for Fielder.

What do people think about Aubrey Huff? The Giants are in 4th place in the West, 7 games out. That tells me they aren't sellers yet, but if they aren't closer in a month, they probably will be.

Huff stunk last year, but had a fine season in 2008. He's a definite improvement over Kotsay/Jones. Not a huge addition, but he wouldn't cost anything either.

The Giants are 3.5 out of the wild card, assuming they don't lose much ground between now and July 31st they're more likely to be buyers than sellers.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)
You think he would get something like that if the Yankees weren't involved in the bidding?

My guess would be more like what Lackey got from Boston...5/80ish

Yeah, I really do. I also think they'll be involved. He's older than the others but that's why he'll get less years: both Johan and CC (elite lefties) got $23M a year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)
Yeah, I really do. I also think they'll be involved. He's older than the others but that's why he'll get less years: both Johan and CC (elite lefties) got $23M a year.

Yeah, I suppose you're right, with Vazquez coming off the books after this year, they very well might be in on the bidding.

I can only imagine have $44M a year tied up in two pitchers for 5-6 years...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 05:09 AM)
Yeah, I suppose you're right, with Vazquez coming off the books after this year, they very well might be in on the bidding.

I can only imagine have $44M a year tied up in two pitchers for 5-6 years...

It's a pretty common belief the Yankees won't be outbid for Lee and Crawford this offseason.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 06:13 AM)
But we have Brent Lillibridge... :)

I love the callers on the postgame saying how we don't need a new bat, as Viciedo/Lillibomb will be able to fill the holes we have. Sadly, no one told them that was wishful thinking. Someone also suggested Teahen should be the DH.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:15 AM)
I love the callers on the postgame saying how we don't need a new bat, as Viciedo/Lillibomb will be able to fill the holes we have. Sadly, no one told them that was wishful thinking. Someone also suggested Teahen should be the DH.

Hey, the bright spot is that at least there are some guys that are stepping it up a bit lately.

I must admit, to me, Lilli liooks like a completely different hitter up there than what I saw since we acquired him.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
He's not trying to hit the ball 400 feet every time, at least from what i've seen. Improved bat speed = not looking foolish so often.

That's the funny thing about baseball as well as golf....sometimes the easier you swing, the farther the ball goes...

Forgot about Boras when I posted this. I tend to like if possible a cheap power lefty but there just aren't that may TBH. Laroche is not having a bad year as is Huff. Let's see what happens on this homestand and how many games we are behind. Really depends on how well we do against real AL teams.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)
So that's basically Flowers/Hudson from our perspective.

Except Hicks and Revere are more like Mitchell, being "huge upside" players with tons of athleticism.

Gibson is thought by many to be a #1-2 or 2A type of starter on most MLB teams, whereas Hudson is more like a 4-5 guy or maybe a 3 at the very best.

The Mariners have already had disasters with Johjima and Clement, they won't be in a hurry to botch another catching choice...heck, Miguel Olivo six years ago was yet another huge miss, as he was a key component in the Garcia deal.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
I would hate to be the team that gave Cliff Lee 5 years, ~$115M. Talk about a crippler. Since he had his coming out party at age 29 I do wonder if people realize he'll be 32 next year. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if the Twins traded for Lee with the stipulation that he sign an extension, alas he would almost definitely be a rental.

I would rather straighten out Dontrelle Willis for free. Even if the odds are only 5-10% in our favor, heck, he could probably hit better than Andruw Jones has the last month.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 01:40 AM)
Except Hicks and Revere are more like Mitchell, being "huge upside" players with tons of athleticism.

Gibson is thought by many to be a #1-2 or 2A type of starter on most MLB teams, whereas Hudson is more like a 4-5 guy or maybe a 3 at the very best.

The Mariners have already had disasters with Johjima and Clement, they won't be in a hurry to botch another catching choice...heck, Miguel Olivo six years ago was yet another huge miss, as he was a key component in the Garcia deal.

I was mistaken on Hicks, he is considered nationally to be the better prospect than Hudson, although not by much.

As for Ramos, he is very similarly ranked to Flowers.

I really think the packages are pretty similar.

Williams loves the tools guys, Upton has to be the target. Rizzo wants too much for Dunn and i don't think Fielder will be traded for unless an extension can be worked out and that's not happening with Boras. I want nothing to do with LaRoche. Maybe Hawk was onto somethng last night when he was talking about acquiring a hitter. He said soemthing to the effect of why does it have to be a lefthander, if the guy can hit and he's righthanded, it doesn't matter.

You know the success of Rios has KW thinking the same will happen with a change of scenery for Upton. The question I have about BJ is whether or not he's a good teammate? That factor seems to play into the equation significantly with players the Sox acquire.

Well, with AJ, Pierre and Beckham we have 3 out of the bottom 12 players in all of MLB for OPS, so we have a lot of room for improvement.

Unfortunately, we're just going to have to hope for better results with all 3 of those guys, Beckham is the only one who might be replaced.