Cliff Lee Traded to Rangers

hi8is

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
True but he still is a frequent no-show in the post season. Some years he looks great but other years he looks like Dewayne Wise.

No doubt, but that also can happen to any player too. Thats why I agree that they may be the better team, but anything can happen in a playoff series.

baseball playoffs can be goofy things J4L, it obviously makes a strong team stronger, but it also gives the White Sox a better shot at making the playoffs, so I'll take it for now. IMO the NYY also need another pen arm, MLBN showed their pen stats outside of Mariano and they are bad, CC and some of the other pitchers are going to have logged a ton of innings over the last two seasons by the time October rolls around... are they the favs? Absolutely, but things happen in October. Clemens, Pettite and Oswalt were suppose to dominate the White Sox and the Sox weren't suppose to get there because of the way the Angels had dominated us in the past or Pappi and Manny were going to own us in a 5 game series.

Again, it's not the Twins, on July 9th that's what I'm worried about, if as a Sox fan I have to worry about Lee on the NYY in October that's a good thing.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)

if this was any other team than the NYY that question makes sense, but he'll they could DFA Javy and it doesn't hurt their bottom line... anyway, some NL team should want him for the stretch

and I know you're joking, but if NYY eat a vast majority of his money and it costs low level prospects, as a 4th or 5th starter innings eater, I'll take him.

Check out Hughes splits, he's been very bad lately and MLB is taking away the extra days rest that allowed the NYY to set up their rotation perfectly

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
No doubt, but that also can happen to any player too. Thats why I agree that they may be the better team, but anything can happen in a playoff series.

Never mind, Keith Law said that we have no chance so we might as well just stop trying.

With Peavy likely out for the season, do the White Sox make a run at Cliff Lee? If not, do you see the Sox as viable contenders in the AL Central after losing their ace (at least their ace for the past month)?

Klaw (1:27 PM)

Even if they included Beckham, I'm not sure they could pull that off. And I didn't see them as viable contenders with Peavy, so it seems less likely now.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
Never mind, Keith Law said that we have no chance so we might as well just stop trying.

With Peavy likely out for the season, do the White Sox make a run at Cliff Lee? If not, do you see the Sox as viable contenders in the AL Central after losing their ace (at least their ace for the past month)?

Klaw (1:27 PM)

Even if they included Beckham, I'm not sure they could pull that off. And I didn't see them as viable contenders with Peavy, so it seems less likely now.

LOL, a team that's a half game out in July and running hot, even with Peavy, wasn't a viable contender for the division? Seriously, someone try to say again that this guy doesn't have a bias against the Sox.

Wow, this came out of nowhere, since the Yankees starting pitching is fine. A five year deal for Lee will blow up in their face. Not a fan of giving pitchers in their 30's long term contracts.

I know I'll be in the minority on this board, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox go after Javy.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
But why? Why does he hate the White Sox so much?

Law used to be a front office guy, maybe he just despises KW.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Looks like it's going to be Montero, David Adams + 1. The Yankees will almost undoubtedly lock him up and I'd imagine soon for a price tag in the range of Sabathia but fewer years: 5/$115M would be my guess.

They will sign him in the offseason, but I guarantee they won't do it during the year. That's their policy, and if they won't change it for Jeter or Rivera, I'm sure Lee will be no different.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
They will sign him in the offseason, but I guarantee they won't do it during the year. That's their policy, and if they won't change it for Jeter or Rivera, I'm sure Lee will be no different.

By "soon" (should have said quick) I mean right after the World Series, we won't make it more than a few days into the exclusive negotiating period before he's locked up. Any team that had plans to go hard after him this offseason won't even get a chance to talk to him. I suppose this goes without saying, though. When you have the resources that the Yankees do there's no reason to negotiate in season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
By "soon" I mean right after the World Series, we won't make it more than a few days into the exclusive negotiating period before he's locked up. Any team that had plans to go hard after him this offseason won't even get a chance to talk to him.

Gotcha. Then I agree 100%.

Cleveland fans will feel even better today, seeing the old aces of their staff together heading the rotation of the best team in baseball, while they have Fausto Carmona.

Wow so it looks like Jesus Montero-David Adams-Zach McAllister for Cliff Lee.

We could have gotten Lee for Flowers-Retherford-Torres. Unbelievable. I don't get surprised when the Yankees sign top guys in FA, but when they dupe teams into these trades; it's pretty evident how good their front office is.