Cliff Lee Traded to Rangers

hi8is

Looks like the Rangers are chipping in extra spects for salary relief just as you'd think:

BNightengale

#mlb Rangers may have Mariners eat part of Lee's salary in return for additional prospects, just as they did with SF for Molina. 10 minutes ago via web

Ken_Rosenthal

#Rangers' deal for Lee confirmed. #Mariners sending cash in deal. #MLB less than a minute ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
You can bet those 3 others will be pretty damn good also.

It's an incredible haul for the Mariners. Trading for Lee might be one of the best moves Jack Zduriencik ever makes. Amazing.

Buster Olney Buster_ESPN

The Yankees and Mariners had actually had an agreement-in-principle, based on the physicals -- and SEA stepped away, which is all fair game. 1 minute ago via web

And it looks like it paid off big time.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Looks like the Rangers are chipping in extra spects for salary relief just as you'd think:

BNightengale

#mlb Rangers may have Mariners eat part of Lee's salary in return for additional prospects, just as they did with SF for Molina. 10 minutes ago via web

Ken_Rosenthal

#Rangers' deal for Lee confirmed. #Mariners sending cash in deal. #MLB less than a minute ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Wow. That is a gutsy deal on both sides.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
Add Smoak to the list they will regret trading later for the Rangers, but they are going for it, and I admire that.

Better Lee to the Rangers than the Twins or Yankees. But wow. I can't wait to see who the other three players are. If Martin Perez is one of them I'm quitting the sport of baseball.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Better Lee to the Rangers than the Twins or Yankees. But wow. I can't wait to see who the other three players are. If Martin Perez is one of them I'm quitting the sport of baseball.

Might have to hang up your spikes:

Bob Nightengale BNightengale

#mlb #rangers The Mariners get 1B Justin Smoak and three top prospects, and will pay part of Lee's salary to Texas. 4 minutes ago via web

Gotta wonder if Nightengale knows what a "top" prospect is.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
No Perez:

Ken_Rosenthal

Smoak, RHP Bevan, RHP Luecke, IF Lawson heading to #Mariners. #Rangers #MLB half a minute ago via txt

only smoak is a top prospect

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
only smoak is a top prospect

Yeah, you have to be wary when national writers use the term "top prospect" especially Nightengale. They usually don't know what the f*** they're talking about.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Rangers did a great job of holding on to Perez, Salty (good trade chip), Sheppers

especially in that ballpark for the future, I don't want to take away from Smoak, but a power hitter is easier for the Rangers to replace than basically any other team in baseball

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Rangers did a great job of holding on to Perez, Salty (good trade chip), Sheppers

That is the name that popped into my head first before Perez though I don't remember if he was drafted in 09 or 08. Big fan of Scheppers.