Lance Berkman traded to Yankees

Heads22

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
I expect to hear his name brought up more and more....any indications of what Houston might be looking at for him?

Not sure, but if we could get him without giving up Hudson, Flowers, or Viciedo, at this point, he'd probably be a good option.

He's been hitting the ball better lately, and being on a winning team could cause a resurgence for him. Also, he does everything Kotsay currently does for us, but better. And we aren't tied at the hip with him for long as he is a FA after the season.

But then again, this is the Astros, and they always overvalue their players and ask for the world. That is why Roy Oswalt is still in Houston.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
I don't really even think it matters anymore...our system is so thin right now the answers to all these types of questions are going to be "Flowers and Viciedo."

With Berkman given his age and contract he prob could be had for a guy like Morel or Danks2 or both.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
With Berkman given his age and contract he prob could be had for a guy like Morel or Danks2 or both.

Except for that people keep ignoring the fact that the Astros owner has said publicly he will eat more cash on trades in order to acquire better prospects.

He has finally realized they have to pay the piper and get some good young talent in their system...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Except for that people keep ignoring the fact that the Astros owner has said publicly he will eat more cash on trades in order to acquire better prospects.

He has finally realized they have to pay the piper and get some good young talent in their system...

Right but than you take into the fact his age and the fact he is having a mediocre season there is no way they are going to get premium talent for Berkman even if the owner pays the entire contract.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)

Berkman is an expensive 34 year old 1B/DH who is having a down year and is a FA after this season, only has half of his contract left to pay for, and won't bring back any prospects because he'd make too much in Arbritation for a team to offer it to him.

Berkman isn't going to cost a lot, no matter how much money the Astros pitch in.

If the Astros pitch in money for someone, its obviously going to be Oswalt who has a much better chance at bringing in some quality prospects.

Well, I respectfully disagree.

The guy has been one of the pillars of their franchise.

They are not going to trade him for some crappy B-level prospect unless he himself asks to be traded to a contender and they accomodate him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
Well, I respectfully disagree.

The guy has been one of the pillars of their franchise.

They are not going to trade him for some crappy B-level prospect unless he himself asks to be traded to a contender and they accomodate him.

No one is gonna get him for a s***ty C or B prospect. But they aren't going to get a Hudson, Flowers, or Viciedo for him from any team. No team is stupid enough to give that up for a rental player.

And if that is the Astros asking price... well, you could see why they are one of the most f***ed organizations in baseball right now whose cornerstones on their team are past their prime and a weak farm system that isn't much better than ours.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
No one is gonna get him for a s***ty C or B prospect. But they aren't going to get a Hudson, Flowers, or Viciedo for him from any team. No team is stupid enough to give that up for a rental player.

And if that is the Astros asking price... well, you could see why they are one of the most f***ed organizations in baseball right now whose cornerstones on their team are past their prime and a weak farm system that isn't much better than ours.

I think it may be worse than ours.

But you have to treat some players respectfully, as well as be understanding of your fan base.

It would be similar to us trading Pauly last year for some random crappy prospect.

Right baseball move? Maybe. But sometimes you have to sacrifice the best baseball decision out of respect for a guy who has given his career to you and to appease the fanbase.

I really think a deal like Berkman for Morel, Santeliz, & Upchurch would make sense for the Astros. Pedro Feliz is the Astros' current 3B and he sucks and will be a free agent after the season. Morel is playing well of late and could possibly be their opening day starter at 3B next year. Santeliz is a pretty solid relief prospect who might be able to help them at some point next year (although he's been struggling for us in AAA so far). Upchurch is a young arm with some potential. This is by no means a great package and these specific players might not be enough, but I really think something similar could be enough to get Berkman if we cover most of his salary.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Right but than you take into the fact his age and the fact he is having a mediocre season there is no way they are going to get premium talent for Berkman even if the owner pays the entire contract.

His "mediocre" season is better than 7 of our 9 hitters, and he's been great since beginning of June.

If not to us, then who? I don't see a NL contender that can use him. Not Boston or Texas or Detroit or Minnesota. I could see, Angels, Rays, or Yankees (if they send Posada to catch full time). He kinda has to go somewhere. Astros have no reason not to get something for him. I'd send Viciedo if we could sign Berkman to an extension.

Why not Texas? Their starting 1B is Chris Davis who is a train wreck, they have a strong farm system, sure they can't take on any salary but they showed yesterday that they're 100% willing to give up a few extra prospects in exchange for cash and that's exactly what the Astros are looking for.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
Why not Texas? Their starting 1B is Chris Davis who is a train wreck, they have a strong farm system, sure they can't take on any salary but they showed yesterday that they're 100% willing to give up a few extra prospects in exchange for cash and that's exactly what the Astros are looking for.

Dinero and the Rangers' lack of it could be a reason.

If the goal is a central title and a World Series run then I give Dan Hudson a few starts, see what we've got, and in a few weeks if Berkman and Oswalt are still on a terrible Astros team I offer up Hudson, Flowers, Morel, and another non Dayan prospect and see how much cash the Astros will eat for both of them..

I think they are both FA after next season, so the money from boosted attendance and a playoff run might be able to absorb both contracts with some cash and you can let them walk in another year if need be..

If anything, ide look into that.. but, I think with Oswalt in the rotation and Berkman in the lineup we could make a very serious run at the World Series.. Of course, if Hudson is kickin ass then ide rather we just add a bat and roll with it..

EDIT: Well I just saw the Oswalt wouldn't play for us thing, so nevermind this..

Edited by T R U

Berkman would be an ideal addition. He could still play 1b but rotate in as mostly DH. From the sounds of it, Houston will pick up cash [they'll have to, as he's owed cash this yr and a $2 mill next yr when his option's declined] if the sox add better prospects. That is exactly how Kenny operates. I don't see the sox going crazy and adding a key piece of the sox future to the trade. But I could see someone with good numbers--Carlos Torres; and a position prospect like Morel [i'd rather the sox trade Teahen but that isn't happening] or capitalize on Lillibridge's hot streak and deal him. The key is making it look like the Astros get a good value in return.

via MLB Traderumors:

Bill Ladson of MLB.com writes that Mike Rizzo isn't looking to deal Adam Dunn. Rizzo repeated what's becoming a favorite phrase lately, telling Washington broadcaster Bob Carpenter that it'd be "very painful" to move Dunn, both for the Nationals and for the team acquiring him.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 07:49 AM)
via MLB Traderumors:

Yeah, I saw that too...Rizzo is either going to pull a Jim Bowden to the extreme (remember when he insisted on pulling in a huge take for Soriano and ended up not being able to deal him), or else he is very serious about keeping Dunn.

Oh well, I guess we can cross him off the list.

BTW, did you mean to post this in the Adam Dunn thread, Sqwert? :)

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)
Yeah, I saw that too...Rizzo is either going to pull a Jim Bowden to the extreme (remember when he insisted on pulling in a huge take for Soriano and ended up not being able to deal him), or else he is very serious about keeping Dunn.

Oh well, I guess we can cross him off the list.

BTW, did you mean to post this in the Adam Dunn thread, Sqwert? :)

Oh yeah...duh.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)

The problem is that Hudson, Flowers, and Viciedo are kind of B level prospects. They might end up being very very good players, but I don't think anybody views them as top tier prospects. Then there's the whole issue where he wants his option to be picked up in order for him to waive his no trade clause. I just don't see a match here unless both Berkman and the Astros lower their expectations.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
The problem is that Hudson, Flowers, and Viciedo are kind of B level prospects. They might end up being very very good players, but I don't think anybody views them as top tier prospects. Then there's the whole issue where he wants his option to be picked up in order for him to waive his no trade clause. I just don't see a match here unless both Berkman and the Astros lower their expectations.

It doesn't matter if they are top tier prospects, they are young MLB ready prospects though.. and that still holds a lot of value..

Berkman will not be traded unless he asks to be traded. He's a local product and one of the faces of the Astros and there is no way they will trade him for anything less than top prospects because they aren't going to sell him for crap and upset an already upset fan base.

So if Berkman wants to go, great, we can go after him, otherwise, he'll stay unless the Astros get blown away (and he isn't worth a blown away offer).