AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

I'm too lazy to look them up, but I'd love to go back and read some of those "our season is over, we suck, we'll never catch the Twins" posts that cluttered the board before we got rolling.

As I recall almost everybody was blasting the team pretty hard and almost everybody thought it was over, me included.

There were a couple folks as I recall stressing, "It's early," but I think it's safe to say MOST wanted this thing blown up and to start trading veterans fast and furiously.

I congratulate those who thought it was early. It was two months in and we just sucked balls.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
But it's still illustrates why it's ridiculous for people to want to mail in the season in late May or early June.

Yes, well if you're 9.5 games out of first (and 9 games under .500) then, you absolutely can't afford to lose any ground. And if you're still near that at the all-star break, you can't justify adding payroll at the trade deadline and it makes sense trade your outgoing free agents. If you dig yourself that big of a hole that early, your season might be effectively over by July.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
Oh, I agree that nobody thought we'd get this hot.

But it's still illustrates why it's ridiculous for people to want to mail in the season in late May or early June.

And there were quite a few people who did.

That's crap logic. The White Sox were awful to a point where it was very tough not to be down on this team. Anyone outside of Sin City Sox who said they saw an insane run like this is lying. It's not like people (like myself) who gave up on this team were not operating from a burden of proof. It's not ridiculious to assume that in times of trouble people would prefer to jump ship, instead of getting their hopes up for something that is very unlikely to happen.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 04:58 AM)
That's crap logic. The White Sox were awful to a point where it was very tough not to be down on this team. Anyone outside of Sin City Sox who said they saw an insane run like this is lying. It's not like people (like myself) who gave up on this team were not operating from a burden of proof. It's not ridiculious to assume that in times of trouble people would prefer to jump ship, instead of getting their hopes up for something that is very unlikely to happen.

Give me a freaking break people.

Suggesting "mailing it in in May is ridiculous" is NOT the same thing as saying I thought we'd go on an insane 24-5 run.

THAT's crap logic.

The point is that bailing less than 2 months into the season is ridiculous. Period. Don't work so hard to justify it.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Give me a freaking break people.

Suggesting mailing it in, in May, is ridiculous is NOT the same thing as saying I thought we'd go on an insane 24-5 run.

THAT's crap logic.

The point is that bailing less than 2 months into the season is ridiculous. Period. Don't work so hard to justify it. It rings hollow.

I've got to agree with you here. I specifically remember some thread where the majority of posters were actually claiming that after 42 games or so, at 7.5 games back of the Twins, we were already incapble of making that ground up over the remaining 120 games.

Now obviously no one can claim that they foresaw this sort of run happening, but the Twins' stumbling made us getting back into this very possible without playing .800 % ball for a month. Just going 18-12 would have gotten us back into this thing.

What some of us were arguing is that over the course of 120 games, a LOT of different scenarios could occur which could lead to us being in a competitve position before the end of July or August, making it absolutely pointless to start dumping players before the end of May or June.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
I've got to agree with you here. I specifically remember some thread where the majority of posters were actually claiming that after 42 games or so, at 7.5 games back of the Twins, we were already incapble of making that ground up over the remaining 120 games.

Now obviously no one can claim that they foresaw this sort of run happening, but the Twins' stumbling made us getting back into this very possible without playing .800 % ball for a month. Just going 18-12 would have gotten us back into this thing.

What some of us were arguing is that over the course of 120 games, a LOT of different scenarios could occur which could lead to us being in a competitve position before the end of July or August, making it absolutely pointless to start dumping players before the end of May or June.

Exactly. You said it better than I did. Thank you.

I never actually doubted we'd get apparently back in the race. It was actually my worst-case scenario. I knew even going into the detroit series (which I projected we'd lose), that we had some easy NL love coming up, and I thought we'd at least go 10-5 in those games to get it back to within a few games of .500. So I projected a minimum aggregate record of 35-39 after interleague, maybe even a game under .500, which could have put us within 6-7 games. Of course, I never imagined they'd ACTUALLY be back in the race.