White Sox Trade Catch-All

hi8is

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
Best fix I've ever seen.

If the Royals dealt Greinke to the Cardinals, that would really be the end for that franchise.

Most Kansas Citians I know have long ago given up any hope of competing with the Yankees or Red Sox.

However, since we have always felt like we were in the long shadow of St. Louis, that would be the final death blow.

I suppose with Moustakas, Hosmer, Hochevar and maybe Soria, there would still be SOME hope, but it would be SCANT. It was bad enough to watch the losses (or injuries) of Dye, Damon, Beltran, Appier, Rosado and Mike Sweeney, not to mention the failure of pretty much every first round draft pick for 20+ years.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
I didn't hear it, but my guess is that he's probably using a combination of all the rumors combined with Williams' aggressive trades in the past.

I heard it. To me it sounded like he was making a prediction based upon Kenny's past and Stone's belief that whichever team makes the biggest trade would win the division. He mentioned Dunn, Scott and Berkman as big moves.

Then some idiot called in and asked him if he would consider taking the Cubs managing job. At that point I turned it off.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 10:12 AM)
I think Hawk has started rubbing off on him.

Steve still thinks pitcher wins are important and have predictive value. In Garcia's case, they really don't.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
This could be a thing:

Ken_Rosenthal

Attention, Fukudome shoppers: Source says #Cubs would pay part of $4M-plus left this year and "quite a bit" of $13.5M salary next year. #MLB 3 minutes ago via web

Would you trade for him if the Cubs would pay $7 million of his contract next year and $2 million of it this year?

I know I would definitely consider it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
Would you trade for him if the Cubs would pay $7 million of his contract next year and $2 million of it this year?

I know I would definitely consider it.

$6.5 million next year for him? No thank you. He keeps getting worse and worse and is now a 4th OF for the Cubs. Thank god we had Jermaine Dye in RF & Takatsu has already played for us, or the Sox would be stuck with that awful contract.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
$6.5 million next year for him? No thank you. He keeps getting worse and worse and is now a 4th OF for the Cubs. Thank god we had Jermaine Dye in RF & Takatsu has already played for us, or the Sox would be stuck with that awful contract.

Jermaine Dye really had nothing to do with it, Fukudome said "Nope, I would rather play for the Cubs"

B&B were talking about Fuku earlier today, independent (I think) of this Rosenthal report. He's been a bust for the money, but I think you need to seriously consider him if the Cubs are going to eat the cash. He'd be a solid replacement for Kotsay, and probably wouldn't see that much lefty pitching.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)

The Cubs have a pretty stacked OF TBH with you.

I'd like Fukudome on this team a lot more so than somebody like Pierre.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Jermaine Dye really had nothing to do with it, Fukudome said "Nope, I would rather play for the Cubs"

I remember the report was that he only wanted to play RF and be the first Japanese player on the team, so he went to the Cubs even though the Sox offered more money. I could be wrong though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
I remember the report was that he only wanted to play RF and be the first Japanese player on the team, so he went to the Cubs even though the Sox offered more money. I could be wrong though.

We were gonna end up sticking him in center. I remembered the whole being the first Japanese player thing was more important to him.

As I said at the time, Fukudome had agreed to go to the Cubs a few weeks before it was even announced. The whole "wanted to be the first Japanese player for the Cubs" was just a PR move. I know this because the Cubs had actually hired two Japanese translators for full-time positions two weeks before the deal was announced, and they were told they'd have a Japanese player on the roster.

It's too bad Kenny couldn't have pulled off a trade sooner like he typically does. Would have been nice to be up by a few games by the 31st instead of struggling to hang onto our lead.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
It's too bad Kenny couldn't have pulled off a trade sooner like he typically does. Would have been nice to be up by a few games by the 31st instead of struggling to hang onto our lead.

If Kenny had pulled off a trade in early June...he'd have been dumping Pierzynski.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
If Kenny had pulled off a trade in early June...he'd have been dumping Pierzynski.

He didn't have to go that far back but earlier in July could have been helpful. It was obvious we couldn't keep up that pace of winning and needed help on offense. 3 months of Dunn (or whoever) is much more preferable than 2.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
He didn't have to go that far back but earlier in July could have been helpful. It was obvious we couldn't keep up that pace of winning and needed help on offense. 3 months of Dunn (or whoever) is much more preferable than 2.

Considering we tore it up basically to the AS break...the only games he'd have mattered in would have been that last road trip.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
Considering we tore it up basically to the AS break...the only games he'd have mattered in would have been that last road trip.

And there are only like 3 of the past 10 games that another bat would have helped, and in 2 of those, the Sox had the lead in the bottom half of the final inning.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
And there are only like 3 of the past 10 games that another bat would have helped, and in 2 of those, the Sox had the lead in the bottom half of the final inning.

Which to me suggests...we should have traded Jenks in late June. That's the best possible change we could have made at that time.