White Sox Trade Catch-All

hi8is

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
Would you take Figgins as a straight up waiver claim right now?

If we were the Yankees, yes... but we don't have the funds to give Figgins 28~ million over the next 3 years. Even when he was at best, I don't think he was worth anything near that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
One thing this team doesn't really need for 2011-2012 is 3B's. Between Teahen, Viciedo and Morel, there really isn't much reason to go get another one, unless they were really good and clearly better than any of those three could be. If they acquire Figgins, it would be to play elsewhere.

What Omar has shown, is 3b is a key defensive position for the Sox. Morel may be able to provide that. Teahen and Dayan can't. I'd expect one or two of these guys to be traded this off-season, or Dayan moved to 1b full-time. Figgins would provide above avg. defense at 3b, and be a guy who can hit near the top of the order. Pierre has been adequate at best. The sox don't have many options for leadoff. Figgins should come at a big discount.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
Would you take Figgins as a straight up waiver claim right now?

No because in the offseason, you could expect the M's to eat some of the contract. The M's would pull a Jays move and let the sox eat the entire contract now

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
The fact that the Dbacks attempted to stockpile pitching with the Haren deal tells you all you need to know about how they're looking at the young but struggling bats on their roster.

Too be honest, after that Haren trade (do we know who the PTBNL was yet?), I don't think the D-Backs have any idea what they are doing.

They have made a lot of boneheaded moves in the past couple years, IMO.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
Too be honest, after that Haren trade (do we know who the PTBNL was yet?), I don't think the D-Backs have any idea what they are doing.

They have made a lot of boneheaded moves in the past couple years, IMO.

The PTBNL is Skaggs.

I don't think they've made "boneheaded" moves. Josh Byrnes was a decent GM. He got Johnson and LaRoche for next to nothing this year in terms of finances.

The only real boneheaded move came after Byrnes got fired and the Haren one is definitely that.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
The PTBNL is Skaggs.

I don't think they've made "boneheaded" moves. Josh Byrnes was a decent GM. He got Johnson and LaRoche for next to nothing this year in terms of finances.

The only real boneheaded move came after Byrnes got fired and the Haren one is definitely that.

I still think the Scherzer trade was pretty retarded.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)

Precisely the trade that was on my mind. I have no idea why the D-Backs thought it was a good idea at all to get in on that trade.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
Precisely the trade that was on my mind. I have no idea why the D-Backs thought it was a good idea at all to get in on that trade.

The Diamondbacks had some legitimate concerns about Sherzer. He has very questionable mechanics that have led to shoulder trouble in 2006, 2008, and again in 2009. Many people think he is an injury waiting to happen, and may end up being a late inning reliever.

He has also had control problems, and has been inconsistant with his secondary pitches, which have led to him only averaging 5.1 innings per start.

He hasn't really put any of that to rest this year, although he has shown he can be dominant for stretches.

I'm not sure why the D-Backs wanted Edwin Jackson in that trade, but in the end Ian Kennedy may end up being a better starting pticher than Sherzer.

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
The Diamondbacks had some legitimate concerns about Sherzer. He has very questionable mechanics that have led to shoulder trouble in 2006, 2008, and again in 2009. Many people think he is an injury waiting to happen, and may end up being a late inning reliever.

He has also had control problems, and has been inconsistant with his secondary pitches, which have led to him only averaging 5.1 innings per start.

He hasn't really put any of that to rest this year, although he has shown he can be dominant for stretches.

I'm not sure why the D-Backs wanted Edwin Jackson in that trade, but in the end Ian Kennedy may end up being a better starting pticher than Sherzer.

I completely understand the concerns about Sherzer and have expressed the same feelings... however, you don't trade him and Schlereth for Edwin Jackson at his highest value and a mediocre prospect like Ian Kennedy. Thats just dumb.

The upside of Scherzer and Schlereth was a lot higher than Jackson and Kennedy.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that the White Sox "remain focused on Dunn, but are laying the groundwork for a starting pitcher." If Dan Hudson pitches poorly Friday against the Athletics, the Sox could change gears.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
I completely understand the concerns about Sherzer and have expressed the same feelings... however, you don't trade him and Schlereth for Edwin Jackson at his highest value and a mediocre prospect like Ian Kennedy. Thats just dumb.

The upside of Scherzer and Schlereth was a lot higher than Jackson and Kennedy.

I agree completely. And Scherzer has been pretty damn filthy in his last 11 starts since his return from the minors: 2.73 ERA, .206 BAA, 10.68 K/9. The walks are still an issue. But that's the case for guys like Clayton Kershaw as well. Still a bad trade.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)

You could at least understand some of their thinking in that trade and you can pinpoint why they made it. They obviously overrated Jackson, but a lot of people did last year. They wanted Jackson because they thought they could win this year. Plus, Kennedy's been a decent pitcher for them, nothing great though. They also had concerns about Scherzer, which isn't surprising. Max's mechanics aren't exactly Cliff Lee-like.

The deal's a win for the Tigers, no doubt, but I don't think it was retarded or anywhere near as bad as the Dan Haren deal that just took place.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
You could at least understand some of their thinking in that trade and you can pinpoint why they made it. They obviously overrated Jackson, but a lot of people did last year. They wanted Jackson because they thought they could win this year. Plus, Kennedy's been a decent pitcher for them, nothing great though. They also had concerns about Scherzer, which isn't surprising. Max's mechanics aren't exactly Cliff Lee-like.

The deal's a win for the Tigers, no doubt, but I don't think it was retarded or anywhere near as bad as the Dan Haren deal that just took place.

Well I'm not a mechanics expert. Some people think Strasburg has bad mechanics. I just can't, in my mind anyway, justify trading somebody because of mechanics. Unless you really think you're getting a good package back. And Jackson/Kennedy was just not that. But I agree. That deal was nowhere near the abomination that was the Haren deal.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
Well I'm not a mechanics expert. Some people think Strasburg has bad mechanics. I just can't, in my mind anyway, justify trading somebody because of mechanics. Unless you really think you're getting a good package back. And Jackson/Kennedy was just not that. But I agree. That deal was nowhere near the abomination that was the Haren deal.

Strasburg does have bad mechanics.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/baseba...nStrasburg.html

Analysis of Scherzer: http://www.disabledlistinformer.com/?p=476

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
And I ain't trading Strasburg for anybody not named Jayson Heyward either.

I'm not dealing him for Jason Heyward either. Even with potential mechanical problems (it sounds like we're talking about cars), I'm not trading a talent like that. Heyward may be a once in a generation type prospect, but I just can't justify dealing Strasburg in any fashion.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
I'm not dealing him for Jason Heyward either. Even with potential mechanical problems (it sounds like we're talking about cars), I'm not trading a talent like that. Heyward may be a once in a generation type prospect, but I just can't justify dealing Strasburg in any fashion.

In a 1 for 1, that's the ONLY guy that I'd consider. I still think dominant everyday player > dominant pitcher. No matter how good said pitcher is. This will be a nice debate to have in a few years.

Would you guys do this trade (and do you think the DBacks would bite?)

Gordon Beckham + Daniel Hudson

for

Edwin Jackson + Kelly Johnson?

You keep your Vizquel/Viciedo/Teahen TriPlatoon at 3B for the rest of the year, or until the playoffs, you get a left-handed hitter with a decent OBP & Pop playing where Beckham was, and you have a rotation going into the playoffs that's pretty solid, and your 2011 rotation would be pretty ridiculous, and you have Johnson locked up for 2011 as well

Edit: This also allows you to keep the DH spot a swinging door between Quentin/Konerko/Viciedo or whatever versatility Ozzie wants

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)

for

You keep your Vizquel/Viciedo/Teahen TriPlatoon at 3B for the rest of the year, or until the playoffs, you get a left-handed hitter with a decent OBP & Pop playing where Beckham was, and you have a rotation going into the playoffs that's pretty solid, and your 2011 rotation would be pretty ridiculous, and you have Johnson locked up for 2011 as well

f***.no.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)

for

Under no circumstances. It's entirely possible that both Hudson and Beckham could outproduce Jackson and Johnson this year, and you have some type of financial security with both Beckham and Hudson.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
If the DBacks throw in Adam LaRoche, do you bite if you're the Sox?

Also, give reasons please

Because many years of cheap production from Gordo and Huddy is worth substantially more than expensive Jackson, half a year of LaRoche and soon-to-be expensive Johnson.

If you have to trade Gordon Beckham, you had better be getting Prince Fielder.