GT: White Sox @ A's 7/25, 3:05 CT, CSN

justBLAZE

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
And on this one, you and I ganged up and said that the team was going to regret it.

My favorite was when he was be supporting all of this nonsense on the radio, and someone called him up and asked him how often does a team acquire hitting during the season that actually helps them out. He couldn't think of anyone, but he attacked the caller by saying just cause it hasn't happened, it doesn't mean it won't and then went on to say that the DH position wouldn't make or break the Sox.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
The rotating DH probably could work... if the guys you are using don't suck like Kotsay and Jones do...

Really, it's not working that well for the Twins frankly. They're getting offense out of it...but it has wound up forcing them to put guys like Kubel and Cuddyer in the field because they want to get Thome's bat into the lineup.

The teams that the DH spot are working well for...Boston, Texas. KC, Baltimore to some extent...teams with everyday DH's.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
If Trout is in that deal, then I say the Diamondbacks did well. Still. Joe Saunders?

It would turn it into a good trade for the D-Backs, but I doubt Trout is the guy. You usually never see a centerpiece of the deal marked as a PTBNL unless they have to do that for bureaucratic reasons (and I don't believe there are any for Trout such as injury, or draft date, etc.).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
Really, it's not working that well for the Twins frankly. They're getting offense out of it...but it has wound up forcing them to put guys like Kubel and Cuddyer in the field because they want to get Thome's bat into the lineup.

The teams that the DH spot are working well for...Boston, Texas. KC, Baltimore to some extent...teams with everyday DH's.

Its certainly not ideal but if they are hell bent on using the rotating DH they should at least get guys who can freakin hit and hit for power.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
It would turn it into a good trade for the D-Backs, but I doubt Trout is the guy. You usually never see a centerpiece of the deal marked as a PTBNL unless they have to do that for bureaucratic reasons (and I don't believe there are any for Trout such as injury, or draft date, etc.).

Usually the PTBNL's...unless it's bureaucratic reasons as you note, are mid-level type guys that you think you could benefit from more scouting, since you can only not name them for 6 months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
Usually the PTBNL's...unless it's bureaucratic reasons as you note, are mid-level type guys that you think you could benefit from more scouting, since you can only not name them for 6 months.

Yep, which means it's not one of their numerous draft picks from this past draft.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
Its certainly not ideal but if they are hell bent on using the rotating DH they should at least get guys who can freakin hit and hit for power.

Jones and Thome would actually have been an ideal setup. Put Jones in the OF every time you have a LHP on the mound, use him to get extra rest for all 3 of your OF's by sliding them in at DH, you make up a bit on defense for the offense you sacrifice, and you do exactly what Thome needed; fewer at bats.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
I highly doubt Trout is the PTBNL. Seeing that trade makes me dissapointed Kenny wasn't after him. I would have traded Hudson + Viciedo for Haren.

Neither of them are "Established major leaguers" and it sure seems like that was the selling point for Arizona here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
Jones and Thome would actually have been an ideal setup. Put Jones in the OF every time you have a LHP on the mound, use him to get extra rest for all 3 of your OF's by sliding them in at DH, you make up a bit on defense for the offense you sacrifice, and you do exactly what Thome needed; fewer at bats.

We should have kept Thome

Passan says Trout is not PTBNL.

Really, if that's the deal the D'Backs got, how the hell couldn't the Sox top that.

Hudson projects to be about as good as Saunders this year, which is very mediocre.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
Passan says Trout is not PTBNL.

Really, if that's the deal the D'Backs got, how the hell couldn't the Sox top that.

Hudson projects to be about as good as Saunders this year, which is very mediocre.

It's not the the Sox couldn't top something like that it is wether they would want to or not