Sox scouted Jays and Orioles last night

harfman77

Overbay and Scott could be fits, especially since Overbay is in the last year of his deal. I think the target could have been Guthrie though who is supposedly very available and there have been rumors of KW eyeing him in the past and would be a solid 4/5 for the team this year and next.

Please let it be Luke Scott, please let it be Luke Scott.

Overbay really doesn't help this team much when Teahen comes back and Guthrie isn't any better than Hudson or Garcia.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
I'd say no thanks to Downs based on what Toronto is asking for. With Thornton, and to a lesser extent Theets/Sale, another lefty in the pen is probably the last thing we need.

agreed

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
What about Adam Lind guys??? LH power hitter, I'd love the move. Luke Scott would be awesome too.

Lind would be great but Jays have no reason to give him up

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
Overbay and Scott could be fits, especially since Overbay is in the last year of his deal. I think the target could have been Guthrie though who is supposedly very available and there have been rumors of KW eyeing him in the past and would be a solid 4/5 for the team this year and next.

Bautista could be a KW darkhorse, but I don't know how excited I would be about giving up much for a mediocre hitter having a spectacular year.

QUOTE (asmithxc @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
Bautista could be a KW darkhorse, but I don't know how excited I would be about giving up much for a mediocre hitter having a spectacular year.

He's not having a spectacular year... he's just hit a lot of home runs.

QUOTE (asmithxc @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
But meaningless.

That Scott has hit well vs. the team the sox are battling for a playoff spot, who they play 9 more games vs, is meaningless? Certainly Scott hitting well vs. Minn. this year isn't the reason you acquire him. But it is a positive factor. I didn't see who he hit the 5 xbh's off of. But it could make a difference

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
He's not having a spectacular year... he's just hit a lot of home runs.

I don't particularly like Bautista either, but hes a definite upgrade over Kotsay and Jones.

I'm hoping we can get Dunn but I also like Luke Scott alot. Bautista would be the last option.

As far as pitching, I don't mind Guthrie at all as a 5th, but I'm not overly high on Hudson so at least then Hudson is insurance.

If the Rosenthal tweets were true about the Sox after a mid-rotation guy. Brett Cecil from the Blue Jays fits the bill

8-5 W-L 3.89 ERA 74 K 31 BB 1.17 WHIP

would be a really decent under the radar pick-up. As for the Orioles, Luke Scott maybe Jeremy Guthrie.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
If the Rosenthal tweets were true about the Sox after a mid-rotation guy. Brett Cecil from the Blue Jays fits the bill

8-5 W-L 3.89 ERA 74 K 31 BB 1.17 WHIP

would be a really decent under the radar pick-up. As for the Orioles, Luke Scott maybe Jeremy Guthrie.

Except he would cost a lot.

I could see Guthrie as an option. He's doing OK this year. Yet had sub 4.00 ERA's in his 1st 2 full seasons in the rotation, in '07 and '08. With Guthrie signed for 2011, he may be looked at to replace Freddy next yr. Freddy is likely to get a better offer than the sox somewhere else.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
That Scott has hit well vs. the team the sox are battling for a playoff spot, who they play 9 more games vs, is meaningless? Certainly Scott hitting well vs. Minn. this year isn't the reason you acquire him. But it is a positive factor. I didn't see who he hit the 5 xbh's off of. But it could make a difference

Meaningless because the fact that he has hit well in 22 at bats against Minnesota in no way indicates that he will continue to hit well against them.