White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
The difference is that this rumor came out of nowhere at 1 am when rosenthal broke it. And now since the am, cowley, heyman, and Buster have reported that it was close and all had the same players being exchanged. A lot of you seem like you won't like the move. So prepare yourself because I think by 10 am this is a done deal.

Which prob. means the Sox and D-backs leaked it on purpose. They could have easily made calls back and forth but how did Rosey, et al, get wind of the talks? Hopefully it is just a plant and the deal doesn't come to pass.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
Hudson and who else for Haren or Oswalt.. According to the scouts Hudson is considered to be a 3rd or 4th starter.

I'm curious what your thoughts were when the Sox traded Garcia for Floyd.

It was Floyd + Gio, so there was more to it.

over reaction city....jesus. Is this move a tremendous deal? no. does it have the potential to work out in our favor? yes. Does it have potential to blow up in our face? yes.

the fact is we don't know. Nobody does. stop acting like this is the worst thing in the world. There is just as good of a chance that Hudson never comes close to being as good as Jackson as there is that he will be better, so right now all you can do is wait and see. Its certainly a gamble, and for a guy who has had success and had the 4th fastest fastball on average last season, I'm ok with us taking a gamble on Jackson.

BTW....look at what Arizona gave up and got/will be getting for both Haren and Jackson. Talk about buying high, selling low

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
I get this impression this all comes down to how well Hudson pitches tonight.

You don't make trades based on whether or not a guy has a good 7th start. He could throw a perfecto tonight and that shouldn't change things.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
For the people that said Edwin Jackson wouldn't help us this season.....can I have what your smoking because he's clearly is an upgrade over Garcia and Hudson (at this time).

This team is in a win now mode, and this is a win now move.

You can't have you cake and eat it too when it comes to keeping all your top prospects and fielding a contending team.

Please explain to me how Edwin Jackson is clearly an upgrade over Garcia or Hudson at this time.

Edwin Jackson's FIP: 4.27

Edwin Jackson's xFIP: 4.27

Edwin Jackson's projected RoS FIP: 4.16

Edwin Jackson's projected RoS ERA: 3.97

I'll take it. Although I'd much rather give up Santos. If Hudson is in the deal, we better be getting LaRoche too.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
BTW....look at what Arizona gave up and got/will be getting for both Haren and Jackson. Talk about buying high, selling low

If you give up Hudson + for Jackson, you could say the same thing about the Sox buying high.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
over reaction city....jesus. Is this move a tremendous deal? no. does it have the potential to work out in our favor? yes. Does it have potential to blow up in our face? yes.

the fact is we don't know. Nobody does. stop acting like this is the worst thing in the world. There is just as good of a chance that Hudson never comes close to being as good as Jackson as there is that he will be better, so right now all you can do is wait and see. Its certainly a gamble, and for a guy who has had success and had the 4th fastest fastball on average last season, I'm ok with us taking a gamble on Jackson.

Still waiting for that awesome fastball to translate into something more than a league average to slightly below average K/9.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
If this trade happens today, I hope they're allowed to call up Lucas Harrell for a start rather than having Tony Pena go 4 innings and then have the rest of the bullpen do the rest.

They're "allowed" to call up whoever they want...but the clock is ticking if someone isn't on their way already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
If you give up Hudson + for Jackson, you could say the same thing about the Sox buying high.

no doubt we've been guilty of it too. The two swisher and two vazquez trades prove that. If I can have one of the two though, Scherzer >> Hudson IMO

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
Still waiting for that awesome fastball to translate into something more than a league average to slightly below average K/9.

I completely agree, but if we are talking upside, the still young (26 year old) Jackson has a higher upside than Hudson if you ask me

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
Planes don't move fast enough to get another starter to Chicago in time.

true but if we heard about it at 1am, KW probably knew of the possibility long before then and had a pitcher fly out red eye last night in case the deal did get done.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
true but if we heard about it at 1am, KW probably knew of the possibility long before then and had a pitcher fly out red eye last night in case the deal did get done.

The most likely guy to bring up though, Torres...started for the Knights last night. The other guy that might have had a remote shot at a callup, Marquez, is back on the DL after struggling in his last start. So either KW didn't know about the possibility enough to say "Hey, don't start Torres, we need a warm body to pitch on Friday night" or he thinks a lot more of Tony Pena's arm than I do.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
I completely agree, but if we are talking upside, the still young (26 year old) Jackson has a higher upside than Hudson if you ask me

And if he had 2 or 3 years of service time under his belt that would be fine, trouble is he's up to 5 years and is already being paid like an accomplished, veteran starting pitcher, not the project that he really is. $8.35M next year, 6 years of Dan Hudson (3-4 ultra cheap years) plus another spect for what amounts to a pretty mediocre starting pitcher who's still considered a project 5 years into his career.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
Edwin Jackson's FIP: 4.27

Edwin Jackson's xFIP: 4.27

Edwin Jackson's projected RoS FIP: 4.16

Edwin Jackson's projected RoS ERA: 3.97

I'll take it. Although I'd much rather give up Santos. If Hudson is in the deal, we better be getting LaRoche too.

I'm not really sure what those stats mean, but I hope they translate to: "Edwin Jackson sucks". Cause thats the truth.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:28 AM)

Jackson's pitched a lot of innings in the bigs and has been overwhelmingly mediocre/bad. He's entering the prime of his career and has only one season under his belt that reflects that potential. Upside is nice and all, but Jackson's been overdue for results for a while.

I'd rather have Ted Lilly than Jackson.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
The most likely guy to bring up though, Torres...started for the Knights last night. The other guy that might have had a remote shot at a callup, Marquez, is back on the DL after struggling in his last start. So either KW didn't know about the possibility enough to say "Hey, don't start Torres, we need a warm body to pitch on Friday night" or he thinks a lot more of Tony Pena's arm than I do.

Lucas Harrell was scheduled to pitch in Charlotte today. I guess we could throw him for a game and hope for the best

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
I'm not really sure what those stats mean, but I hope they translate to: "Edwin Jackson sucks". Cause thats the truth.

It translates to "Edwin Jackson is better than his current ERA".

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
MLBtraderumors brings up a good point about the Sox possibly trying to get Jackson just to flip him to the Nats for Dunn. It was either Olney or Rosenthal who said today that nobody may like a certain player more than the Nationals love Jackson.

If so then are back to 2003 rotation 4 guys who can pitch a gigantic hole in that 5 spot that can get a win.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
Gotcha. If we do trade for him then thats a good sign, but I still would not be a very big fan of the move.

I'm definitely not a fan of it either.

I think you could have Jackson for much less. Hell, if you want to trade Hudson for another pitcher, go get Carmona.