White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
If so then are back to 2003 rotation 4 guys who can pitch a gigantic hole in that 5 spot that can get a win.

I noted this in the Adam Dunn thread yesterday...every other pitcher in our rotation has an ERA on 5 days rest that is a full run lower than their ERA on normal/4 days rest.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
Edwin Jackson's FIP: 4.27

Edwin Jackson's xFIP: 4.27

Edwin Jackson's projected RoS FIP: 4.16

Edwin Jackson's projected RoS ERA: 3.97

I'll take it. Although I'd much rather give up Santos. If Hudson is in the deal, we better be getting LaRoche too.

interesting...a few other things of interest...from 2007 his BB/9 went from 4.9 to 3.8 to 2.9 before jumping back up to 4.0 this year....he was trending in the right direction, makes you wonder if the sox scouts saw/see something in him like bad habits he got into this year. Also his K/9 rate is trending in the right direciton as well...5.3, 6.8, 7.0.

it is certainly a big gamble. After thinking about it longer, the only real thing i can say is that I don't really like the deal, but I don't really dislike it either.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
over reaction city....jesus. Is this move a tremendous deal? no. does it have the potential to work out in our favor? yes. Does it have potential to blow up in our face? yes.

the fact is we don't know. Nobody does. stop acting like this is the worst thing in the world. There is just as good of a chance that Hudson never comes close to being as good as Jackson as there is that he will be better, so right now all you can do is wait and see. Its certainly a gamble, and for a guy who has had success and had the 4th fastest fastball on average last season, I'm ok with us taking a gamble on Jackson.

BTW....look at what Arizona gave up and got/will be getting for both Haren and Jackson. Talk about buying high, selling low

I see zero ways this can work out in our favor. But i have already covered that in a previous post.

It's not hard to match jackson's production. He is just not very good. Not even league average, though he is on the cusp. He still might have all the potential in the world, but until it starts translating, it's nothing more. There also comes a time when a player just is, what he is. I also disagree with your other statement. I would easily put it at 80% that hudson ends up equivalent if not better than jackson, and 20% that he ends up worse off. This is not me being a hudson fanatic, it's just that jackson is underwhelming.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
I'm definitely not a fan of it either.

I think you could have Jackson for much less. Hell, if you want to trade Hudson for another pitcher, go get Carmona.

Wow, I just noticed that BR is now liking to brooks baseball's pitch f/x tool in player game logs now. I went into Jackson's game log to find his last outing so I could check his velocity on brooks (95/97), I happened to click his pitch count and it took me to his pitch f/x data for that game. Thanks, BR for saving me 40 valuable seconds.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
The more I think about this, I'm calling bulls*** that he's staying with the Sox. They want Dunn, and this is part of it. An NL pitcher with a 5.16 ERA who can't throw strikes? This is not a Kenny move for a pennant race.

I feel the same way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
Most of which you spent typing this post.

Yes but now the 2 or 3 people who care about Pitch F/X data will be able to save those precious 40 seconds of their own. I'm giving here, Balta.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
The more I think about this, I'm calling bulls*** that he's staying with the Sox. They want Dunn, and this is part of it. An NL pitcher with a 5.16 ERA who can't throw strikes? This is not a Kenny move for a pennant race.

Then who is your 5th starter? Torres is likely the other pitching prospect in the deal. Marquez?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:52 AM)

If they got LaRoche in the deal as well, it would make sense (for this year). Otherwise, I agree that it's either misdirection or part of another move.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
Wow, I just noticed that BR is now liking to brooks baseball's pitch f/x tool in player game logs now. I went into Jackson's game log to find his last outing so I could check his velocity on brooks (95/97), I happened to click his pitch count and it took me to his pitch f/x data for that game. Thanks, BR for saving me 40 valuable seconds.

Not a bad tool. I like to use TexasLeaguers.

Something I found interesting last night was how Pena was warming up to come in for the 6th when it was a 2 run game with men on for Seattle, but after it became a 4 run game heading into the 7th, Putz was brought in. To me, maybe Ozzie was told not to pitch Pena in case he had to start tonight's game.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
If they got LaRoche in the deal as well, it would make sense (for this year). Otherwise, I agree that it's either misdirection or part of another move.

I agree, and think we end up with both. If not, it better be part of moves, plural. I don't want Carlos Torres pitching down the stretch.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
Looks like this thing is happening:

BNightengale

#mlob #whitesox #diamondbacks Club officials from the Sox and D-backs are confirming they are close to a deal, sending Edwin Jackson to Sox 4 minutes ago via web

DAMN IT. NOOOOOOOOO.

Why aren't we getting LaRoche too?