White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

I don't get it... what's good about:

(IP, WHIP, ERA)

2007 TB 161.0 1.76 5.76

2008 TB 183.1 1.51 4.42

2009 Det 214.0 1.26 3.62

2010 Ari 134.1 1.50 5.16

So he's had one decent year, an average one, and two bad ones. The only advantage I see over Hudson is that you should be pretty sure Jackson can give you 200 IP, but I'd think Hudson could do that too.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
Many of us had similar sentiments when we acquired Contreras, Floyd and Thornton.

You'll note 1 thing...each and every one of the guys you named was acquired at basically a huge discount relative to their talent level.

I seriously hope we don't trade Hudson for this chump. What is their to like about Edwin Jackson? He has had one solid year in his entire ML career and currently sports a 1.50 WHIP/5.14 ERA in the NL. Dude blows, we can do better. And I'd rather just keep Hudson and the other prospect.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
Many of us had similar sentiments when we acquired Contreras, Floyd and Thornton.

None of those guys were acquired in the middle of a pennant race, nor were any of them owed $8 million the following season.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
SI_JonHeyman #chisox appear now to be closing in on a deal for edwin jackson. daniel hudson plus another prospect proly going to az.

26 minutes ago

looks like the deal is close to being done.

Kinda just looks like different outlooks just keep repeating what others have been saying for hours and passing it off as breaking news...

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
True but it shows that this deal is very very realistic with national guys and our guys reporting the same.

What are national guys saying?

Even if Jackson is used to acquire Dunn, who is our SP for the rest of the season with Hudson going to AZ?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
True but it shows that this deal is very very realistic with national guys and our guys reporting the same.

Disagree. One of the new realities of our twitter world, where no one is ever held to task if they're wrong, is that it literally becomes an echo chamber. One person tweets interest in someone, the next person tweets that it's close to done because they want to be out ahead, and then 3 hours later everyone is tweeting that it's a done deal.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
What are national guys saying?

Even if Jackson is used to acquire Dunn, who is our SP for the rest of the season with Hudson going to AZ?

Clearly, that combination of moves would fail on its own. You have to add someone else, like Westbrook or, Ugh, Lilly.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:04 AM)
Kenny is going to be raked over the coals if we are trading DANIEL HUDSON AND ANOTHER PROSPECT for f***ing Edwin Jackson, what a f***ing joke if this is true.

I am holding out hope that there's something else involved. Maybe LaRoche? Like I said, I'm only hoping. Hudson for Jackson straight up would be easier to swallow.

If the sox want a high risk, high reward SP, why not go for Fausto Carmona? He'd be a Coop project, that would give the sox an upgrade now, and under a team friendly contract for a few years. Carmona's name has been out there, and not sure what it would take but something around Hudson and Viciedo wouldn't be outrageous. Why for Cle.? Hudson doesn't have the upside of Carmona but could give them consistency at a low cost.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)

Or it could very well mean nothing at all. The trade deadline is right around the corner... you are gonna be hearing hundreds of different variations of deals, which all sorts of players mentioned, only to have a small amount actually happen. Generally one third of the deals done on the day of the deadline are never leaked even the tiniest bit. You'll know when it's a done deal.

For the people that said Edwin Jackson wouldn't help us this season.....can I have what your smoking because he's clearly is an upgrade over Garcia and Hudson (at this time).

This team is in a win now mode, and this is a win now move.

You can't have you cake and eat it too when it comes to keeping all your top prospects and fielding a contending team.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

Daniel Hudson might become Edwin Jackson. You know who Hudson reminds me of....that Pauley fellow that pitched for the M's last night.

As shaky as Jackson has been this year he still has a track record as a proven #4 guy which is what the Sox need who can if his stuff is right throw a no hitter, however unimpressive that no hitter may be.

The Twins mortgaged a lot more on Matt Capps.

You also have the Coop thing and the fact that Jackson is under contract you could see a Danks for Fielder move in the off season if Danks is hell bent on free agency.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
For the people that said Edwin Jackson wouldn't help us this season.....can I have what your smoking because he's clearly is an upgrade over Garcia and Hudson (at this time).

You can't have you cake and eat it too when it comes to keeping all your top prospects and fielding a contending team.

Hudson could've probably landed an Oswalt, Haren-type.. Jackson is a bottom of the barrel type, especially with that contract

i don't like the rumored deal at all but i'll give kw the benefit of the doubt and hope that it's part of a larger plan. no reason to go into overreaction mode when there could be other moves that follow.

on sunday night, i will overreact if this gets done and it's the only deal.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)

I'm gonna go ahead and ask how is Edwin Jackson an upgrade over Freddy Garcia.

Thanks in advance.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
Or it could very well mean nothing at all. The trade deadline is right around the corner... you are gonna be hearing hundreds of different variations of deals, which all sorts of players mentioned, only to have a small amount actually happen. Generally one third of the deals done on the day of the deadline are never leaked even the tiniest bit. You'll know when it's a done deal.

The difference is that this rumor came out of nowhere at 1 am when rosenthal broke it. And now since the am, cowley, heyman, and Buster have reported that it was close and all had the same players being exchanged. A lot of you seem like you won't like the move. So prepare yourself because I think by 10 am this is a done deal.

Hudson could've probably landed an Oswalt, Haren-type.. Jackson is a bottom of the barrel type, especially with that contract

Hudson and who else for Haren or Oswalt.. According to the scouts Hudson is considered to be a 3rd or 4th starter.

I'm curious what your thoughts were when the Sox traded Garcia for Floyd.