White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO at Cowley who tweeted this a couple of hours ago saying he is "hearing from people" it may go down this morning. Really Joe? You're only about 7 hours late. Did he call his "source" at 4 AM for that tidbit? What a phony. Now go wash Oney's car.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:27 AM)
Stop over-valuing Hudson. In any other organization, he's an average pitching prospect. Jackson helps them win now and that is the goal. I see more Brendon McCarthy in Hudson then I see John Danks.

I was just getting to post something similar. I would trade Hudson for Jackson in a minute. With Peavy back next year ,the rotation is sick and it also helps out the remaining part of this year. I look at the success Cooper has had with Floyd and see a similarity in that with Jackson.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:45 AM)
I can't even offer a rebuttal to this. Let me ask you this: Because of the huge hole created by Peavy's injury, for THIS season only, would you be content with Jackson? Because that's really my lone reasoning. The prospects of Garcia (big difference with him being your number 4 instead of your number 5) and Hudson scares the s*** outta me. Because even with an extra bat, It's doubtful we can top the Twins (not to mention the fact Mark Buehrle is more of a #4 starter himself).

Why does it scare you? Does jackson scare you less due to ''experience''? We need hudson as we have zero depth in the starting staff looking forward. This cupboard has been run dry, We don't have a clue what we have on our hands with sale. Way too premature to tell anything noteworthy. He should not be in the starting rotation for the 2011 season, unless some horrendous things transpire. Even then, i have my doubts. If he does make the rotation, there better be a damn good fallback option(s).

Garcia very well might command a tad more than the sox are willing to afford this off-season. Then we have hudson to slip in for peanuts for the next 3-4 seasons. This scenario would be nice considering if/when danks is given a new contract... he will command big money. That floyd extension is looking better and better by the day by the way. Let's say buehrle leaves after 2011, our 2012 rotation will still be expensive. Just danks, floyd, and peavy will be around 35 million alone in 2012. I see it like this though, if we are gonna be able to get through 4 years of linebrink, only two more years of peavy should be a breeze, then we can buy his ass out. 22 million, what a joke.

Hudson has far more value to the white sox, given the circumstances, than he does elsewhere. If the system was not complete garbage, which i'm sorry it is, we would be having an entirely different discussion. There are only five guys in the entire system that are ever talked about. One is a former ped user, one is far too raw to get worked up about (danks), sale, (already gave my say on him) hudson, and for some reason brent morel?!?!? Morel will not sniff the major leagues, by that i mean sticking.

I believe hudson and flowers will make it and stick. Sure, flowers first full season in triple-a season has been discouraging, but that is an aberration until proven other wise. It's very common actually. So many times a player stuggles his first go around in triple-a... only to go on to rake the second time around. I'm not counting his 31 games in triple-a last season. There is still a learning curve from double-a to triple-a that players experience when it's mid season, and the later on in the season, the worse a player produces to finish out the season (on average). I have seen studies on such. I would not be shocked if flowers has a nice rebound season next season, and in the show full time by 2012. Starter or backing up. With the the solid power he has, and the ability he has to take a walk, i envision him at least in the backup role.

We can easily get similar production from hudson, if not better than jackson, this very season. Technically hudson should have the advantage over the league. Teams have such limited video in comparison, and the overall game plan of attack should be limited. He has only faced six teams, one of those was only for 2 innings (relief) and no more than 8 innings total for the other five other five teams. He has the stuff, he just needs to harness his control, and throw the right pitches given the count. He has failed in both aspects mightily thus far.

If you wanted williams gone already, which you do, once the deal sunk in, you would want him gone even more so. For the record, i'm in favor of williams sticking around, he is one of the better general managers in the game, and we would only be worse off with someone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to edit. At least let me know you read this. When things are long, people don't even bother to read it, which more than likely will be the case now. Sad world we live in. Thankfully i love reading.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:27 AM)
Stop over-valuing Hudson. In any other organization, he's an average pitching prospect. Jackson helps them win now and that is the goal. I see more Brendon McCarthy in Hudson then I see John Danks.

Like which orgs? He would be a top pitching prospect for most other organizations out there without a doubt.

And if you were referring to Brandon McCarthy, they have basically nothing in common as pitchers.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
I was just getting to post something similar. I would trade Hudson for Jackson in a minute. With Peavy back next year ,the rotation is sick and it also helps out the remaining part of this year. I look at the success Cooper has had with Floyd and see a similarity in that with Jackson.

Expecting Coop to fix Edwin Jackson in the last 2 months of the season, in a pennant race, is crazy, just as counting on Coop fixing an $8 mill a yr pitcher for 2011 and then watching him walk away as a FA. If Jackson was pitching like he was in 2009, maybe. I just don't see how this is a big enough upgrade for this yr, to blow our next few seasons with Hudson cheaply filling in the back on the rotation.

The only thing that makes sense is Kenny using this proposed deal to advertise to other teams, "we'd like a SP and we'll use Hudson to get one". Until now, Hudson was always dangled for a bat.

Latest from Heyman:

SI_JonHeyman aggressive #chisox have joined fray for edwin jackson.@ken_rosenthal has them in lead. #nats long seen as favorite

22 minutes ago

SI_JonHeyman as some have pointed out, #chisox could also flip edwin jackson to nats for dunn, who chicago likes.

11 minutes ago

Would peope be more comfortable with gettig Dunn for Hudson technically by flipping EJax?

Or would it still be the end of th world for some of you?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:21 AM)
Latest from Heyman:

SI_JonHeyman aggressive #chisox have joined fray for edwin jackson.@ken_rosenthal has them in lead. #nats long seen as favorite

22 minutes ago

SI_JonHeyman as some have pointed out, #chisox could also flip edwin jackson to nats for dunn, who chicago likes.

11 minutes ago

Would peope be more comfortable with gettig Dunn for Hudson technically by flipping EJax?

Or would it still be the end of th world for some of you?

Rather have Jackson than Dunn to be honest. Dunn is a temp rental while Edwin if good would pay off after this half season. He could take Freddy's place next season in theory.

Jackon definitely has talent, and if this was a video game it is a deal you make immediately. But as others have pointed out, Jackson's performance this year has been average at best - and he's had the luxury of pitching in the NL West. I can't see him being that much more of an upgraded over Hudson in the short run to justify giving away our top prospect + more when Hudson is exactly the type of player we are going to need in the next few years due to our inability to add much payroll. It wouldn't be the end of the world to me if this trade were to happen, but I'm really, really hoping it doesn't.

To me, this spells "If we traded Hudson for Dunn, we're stuck with a 2 year rental. By trading Hudson for Jackson, we're going to get more in return (Not just Jackson), and we can then flip Jackson for Dunn."

I hope that's what they're doing, or I hope they're not just dumping Hudson for Jackson. Hudson would fetch a better pitcher on the market than Jackson, hell.. we could've probably gotten Haren if we included Hudson don't you think?

Could be an interesting power play by Kenny. "Trade us Dunn at our price, or we will go and take Jackson from you"

Maybe enough pressure is applied and the three way happens to make everyone happy.

Can we absorb any of the salary of Jackson and then move him to Was? As like a sweetener in a sense?

Edited by Princess Dye

So let's say this is what happens:

Option 1: Trade Hudson+another pictching prospect (like reported) for jackson and laroche.

Option 2: Trade Hudson+Prospect for Jackson, then move lower level spects for a Berkman or Hawpe.

Option 3: Trade Hudson+spect for Jackson, flip Dunn for EJax and add another starter (Lilly, Cook, etc)

which option would you take, and this is all hypothetical with reports that are out there.

Exchanging Daniel Hudson for Edwin Jackson as our 5th starter does not make this team any better in 2010, not to mention it costs the team money. If the deal does go down, I hope its to move EJax for a bat.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
Hudson would fetch a better pitcher on the market than Jackson, hell.. we could've probably gotten Haren if we included Hudson don't you think?

That's why this sounds very odd. This "deal" has come out of the blue, with Hudson supposedly only available for a bat like Dunn. Yet it gets into the media very quickly, as if both sides wanted the story to get out. Ariz. could up the price for Jackson from other teams, using the sox as an example. Chi. tells other teams that they are looking for a proven young SP similar to Jackson, yet hopefully decline, saying Hudson's worth more.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:38 AM)
Could be an interesting power play by Kenny. "Trade us Dunn at our price, or we will go and take Jackson from you"

Maybe enough pressure is applied and the three way happens to make everyone happy.

Can we absorb any of the salary of Jackson and then move him to Was? As like a sweetener in a sense?

Def., either way this move if it gets done is a way for KW to say to hell with Rizzo and his crazy demands. And if webhave EJax KW has the upper hand and wouldn't and shouldn't have to eat salary in a jackson dunn deal.

I could see a EJax+spect for Dunn+Livan Hernandez in a Wash Sox trade.

Buster Onley was also on Sports Center a few min ago and said he sees the Yankees and Rays trying to get Dunn to keep him away from one another. KW may have gotten wind of this and said "I'll just go acquire the Nats top target" and avoid getting into a bidding war with NYY and TB who would be able to offer a better package then us if they wanted to.