White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
What is wrong with this team? Down four games with just 30 left to play. Where's the sense of urgency? Manny will be at the stadium four hours before the game starts. Get him in the damn lineup Ozzie. He has to go up to the plate and swing the bat a total of about 15 times and he's not playing the field. I think he's capable of doing that on four or five hours of sleep. Not to mention they are paying him $120,000 per game for the rest of the season. I feel like I'm listening to Lovie Smith after that Bears third preseason game. No sense of urgency at all!

Have to agree. The games in late September won't matter if they won't the games now. I'm not concerned with him wearing down - he's a DH, and he's missed a large chunk of the season already. He can rest after the Sox finish their season.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Given that the Sox are now paying Manny over $100k a game, why didn't the Sox just line up a private flight if necessary?

Who cares about money? This is baseball where even the Pittsburgh Pirates make a huge profit.

If we can't beat Cleveland w/out Manny we don't deserve to make the playoffs.

He'll play tonight. He'll be the hero. He'll request to play and everybody will make a big deal out of the fact Manny wanted to help his team out sooo much he played on a day he had to travel.

It's all set up for him to be the hero tonight.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
He's an idiot who disrespects the game in every way. I don't think the Sox will win the division with or without him, so I'm a little disappointed he's on the team I root for. That said, it's only 5 weeks, so I will root for him and hopefully a miracle will happen and the Sox will go 23-9 the rest of the way and that will be enough.

what he said. It was cooler to pick up Junior for a month or two. But, it's only for a couple months then he is a free agent. Manny has to know that a play off spot or better this year sets him up for another Manny Payday

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
I'm more concerned that Manny is ready to play against Boston.

Not sure we need him against Cleveland.

We shouldn't, but we can't take any game for granted. Cleveland has performed well against the White Sox, and that bullpen is a disaster waiting to happen in any game. We've had way too many problems against the bottom feeders (KC, Cleveland, and Baltimore specifically) to just assume a victory is a given.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
Who cares about money? This is baseball where even the Pittsburgh Pirates make a huge profit.

I don't think you understand baseball economics very well. The Pirates are probably one of the more profitable teams because of revenue sharing and the fact that they spend virtually nothing on payroll. If money weren't a huge factor in baseball, then Manny wouldn't be headed here.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
We shouldn't, but we can't take any game for granted. Cleveland has performed well against the White Sox, and that bullpen is a disaster waiting to happen in any game. We've had way too many problems against the bottom feeders (KC, Cleveland, and Baltimore specifically) to just assume a victory is a given.

With the Sox, you never take any game for granted. It's not like Manny is assured of pulling a Rios and going 4-for-5 tonight. His stats this year, in fact, suck. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the lineup, but I could give a s*** if we win, anyway. It's not like his presence assures anything.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
Don't be sad guys, Manny is just trying to build up the tension towards his pinch-hit go-ahead grand slam tonight.

You never pinch hit for a starter such as Kotsay.

Even if a lefty reliever comes in.

You just don't. My God.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
With the Sox, you never take any game for granted. It's not like Manny is assured of pulling a Rios and going 4-for-5 tonight. His stats this year, in fact, suck. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the lineup, but I could give a s*** if we win, anyway. It's not like his presence assures anything.

Manny's BB/K this year: .84. Manny's BB/K for his career .79.

You did say you liked BB/K right...?

And besides, let's just totally ignore his .915 OPS, his .392 wOBA. HE SUCKS BECAUSE HE DID STEROIDS.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
He has eight homers and 40 ribbies in 200 at bats.

Who cares how many home runs he has? He has a .510 slugging% and a .200 ISO.

And I won't even bother to explain why RBIs don't mean much when evaluating a single player.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Not in the fifth inning.

I totally agree. It doesn't matter if that hitter is 0.000 against left-handers and your season is almost over during a pennant race. You just don't pinch hit in that scenario.