53 members have voted

1. 1. Level of Baseball knowledge

• Strongly exceeding average fan
    • Exceeds the average fan
    • Slightly exceeds the average fan
    • Average fan
    • Below average fan
    • I dont know why I am here...

We have had our employee reviews at work and I know a few other people that also have been doing the same thing at their jobs so it made me think of this.

How do you view yourself in baseball knowledge? But really take a look at what you are bringing to the table. Soxtalk I think is a pretty good way to do that. Factor everything into account. What do you bring to baseball discussion here as opposed to what you bring to the discussion in the " real world".

In the real world I can have a baseball discussion and I used to think I was a f***ing baseball professor but since I have been here it has humbled me to a point. I am really close to being just the average fan probably slightly above average. There are so many players, numbers, stats , strategy, prospects, etc. that I just dont know anything about and I can come here and people have what seems to be all the answers.

Remember you can always improve just by coming here and going to many sources so dont feel bad about about ranking yourself low if thats where you are at. I just want to get to check the pulse of Soxtalk on this one.

After thinking about it more....hmmm, I think I might have over rated the average fans knowledge a bit . Because people who would call themselves the average fan normally dont know jack s*** about the game and its current state most of the time. LOL

Lets assume the "Average fan" has a decent amount of knowledge.

I would state that I strongly exceed the knowledge of the average fan. However, if there is one area I'm not as on the ball with, it would be related to the Sabr statistics which can definitely be beneficial. However, as we all know, I'm a tools junky.

Things I don't know

1. Historical stuff - I'm not old enough to tell you how many bases Nellie Fox stole in 1959.

2. Prospects and farm systems - Outside of the Sox and the top guys, I don't know much of anything. Goes for College Baseball as well.

Things I do know

1. Sabermetrics - name any advanced stat that you don't understand and I can probably explain it to you.

2. Current state of baseball - I know (or pretend to know) the talent level of pretty much every player in the Majors.

3. I also pretend to know a little bit about pitching mechanics...

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Obviously guys like Tmar, flippedoutpunk, jhonnydanks, etc.. are extremely intelligent people of Baseball knowledge. Guys like qwerty, Kalapse, etc.. are borderline retarded.

Am I borderline retarded?

:unsure:

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Am I borderline retarded?

:unsure:

You are in the middle.. perhaps approaching the borderline retarded stage thanks to more advanced saber knowing. Those dudes are just on another planet of stupidity however.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
You are in the middle.. perhaps approaching the borderline retarded stage thanks to more advanced saber knowing. Those dudes are just on another planet of stupidity however.

Oh phew. :headbang

I would say i'm definitely in the "strongly exceeding" category. However, there are people around here like Kalapse that are at a level even beyond strongly exceeding, and thus deserve their own category for voting. I'm definitely not at that level.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I don't know where I'd rank myself. Either "slightly exceeding" or "exceeding." I consider the "average" fan to not be braindead and someone who actually knows a reasonable amount and doesn't drool on themselves etc. so I chose "slightly exceeding." However, I'm definitely several levels above the people who comment on the big sites and if those are "average fans" then I'm in "strongly exceeding."

It's hard for me to say. I've never been into the WAR or UZR or that stuff, but I have a long memory of baseball history and know a lot about Sox trivia.

I guess I'm knowledgable, but I'm not really a B-R disciple other than looking at it as a historical tool.