Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
John Beilein would be my pick for Coach of the Year. Who could have possibly called them for the 4 seed come tourney time?

Thats a very interesting point. I obviously was homering for Matta, but you make a great argument there.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
Speaking of ridiculousness, on the cover of SI this week:

"Why John Calipari cant catch a break."

Yep, a story about how Coach Cal is a victim and just a nice guy.

What a joke of a story. Though this year that slime bag has really been under the radar. Might have something to do with me not having ESPN anymore, but still. Not much about him on espn.com or any other website (until now obviously).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Speaking of ridiculousness, on the cover of SI this week:

"Why John Calipari cant catch a break."

Yep, a story about how Coach Cal is a victim and just a nice guy.

In the words of Mike Gundy... "Makes me wanna puke." Cal is such a f***ing asshole. He's so incredibly fake as a person and legitimately believes he's too good for most people.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
John Beilein would be my pick for Coach of the Year. Who could have possibly called them for the 4 seed come tourney time?

I thought about him, but I think their early season struggles are the reason they are on the bubble now. Also, they were .500 in conference, that 4 seed has more to do with the mediocrity of the rest of the league.

Bo Ryan is the Coach of the Year in the Big 10. Most "experts" had Wisconsin finishing in the bottom half of the Big 10, im not sure they even had one vote in the top 25.

Fast forward and they arguably had a better season than anyone in the Big 10 besides OSU.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
Bo Ryan is the Coach of the Year in the Big 10. Most "experts" had Wisconsin finishing in the bottom half of the Big 10, im not sure they even had one vote in the top 25.

Fast forward and they arguably had a better season than anyone in the Big 10 besides OSU.

They were ranked #24 in the preseason Coaches Poll. Joe Lunardi had them as a 6 seed in his Nov. 10 bracket.

They were unbeatable at the Kohl Center and lost their road games against the top Big Ten teams, just like most Wisconsin teams usually do. Bo Ryan is a great coach, but I don't think he did anything out of the ordinary this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
Yeah it is legit and what is really crazy about that is it isn't like those pictures even correlate to any particular team or year. McCamey never played with any of the other 4. Ingram only played with Carter and McBride. Just bizarre.

Didn't Demetri play with Jamar? Idk, it's irrelevant.

But that officiating was...wow. Should have been a 2 shot technical for launching the ball into the stands with 2 seconds left and Rutgers ball.

Littlehurt,

I agree with your statement. Here is what I said in the first page of this thread:

Im just wondering how you guys think Wisconsin will finish 6th?

Even if they have what would be considered a horrific home record of 7-2, all they have to do is go above 500 on the road and they finish with a 12-6 record in the Big 10.

Barring a horrific injury to Leur, Id expect Wisconsin to be at worst 12-6 in Big 10 play and finish 4th. If they play up to what I think they should be in the top 3 with a chance for the title.

For a 12-6 record all they have to do is:

At home beat Michigan, PSU, Indiana, Minnesota, NU and go 2-2 vs Illinois, MSU, OSU, Purdue

On road beat Iowa, Penn State, Indiana, Michigan and go 1-4 vs Illinois, Minnesota, MSU, OSU, Purdue

Unless Wisconsin all of a sudden loses their home court magic, its going to be hard for them to ever finish lower than 4th. They may tie with several teams for 3rd or 4th, but its unlikely theyll finish below them.

The fact is most people picked them to finish 6th or worst and if they were rated, they were rated close to 25. Conversely, Painter's team was consistently rated as a top 10 team, to finish in the top 3 of the Big 10.

How did Bo Ryan not do better than Painter given what people believed to start the season?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
Littlehurt,

I agree with your statement. Here is what I said in the first page of this thread:

The fact is most people picked them to finish 6th or worst and if they were rated, they were rated close to 25. Conversely, Painter's team was consistently rated as a top 10 team, to finish in the top 3 of the Big 10.

How did Bo Ryan not do better than Painter given what people believed to start the season?

First off, congrats on your preseason predicition, almost nailed it. I will agree about Painter, I mentioned earlier that I didn't think he did anything special and questioned him winning the award. In general, the Big Ten was more about bad coaching jobs than anyone doing an exceptional overacheiving job. That made me personally pick the coach of the best team in the country as COY. That being said, Bo Ryan does deserve credit from keeping his team consistent and successful, which Weber & Izzo definitely couldnt do. I just don't think they were as underrated as you stated, it was more about the other teams being overrated.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
NIU head coach Ricardo Patton fired. Believe it or not I actually didn't mind the hire four years ago. I was wrong, by a long shot.

Wait...NIU has a basketball team?

:lol:

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
For all you NIU fans, in his last game, Jake Anderson dropped 33 in a losing effort for Iowa State against Colorado.

We'll be back next year.

I wonder if Jake cracked open a celebratory beer after Patton was canned.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
For all you NIU fans, in his last game, Jake Anderson dropped 33 in a losing effort for Iowa State against Colorado.

We'll be back next year.

Ugh, fell just short AGAIN. I've never seen an ISU team have so many close losses in conference. How many games were they tied or within a basket or two, at the end of regulation? Looks like 8. 8 games is a huge potential swing.

But the team will be very different next year anyway, with guys graduating.

Alright B10 tourney starts today. Place yer bets, place yer bets.

I'm going unconventional and saying that Illinois wakes up and takes it.

Who’s Hot and Who’s Not: Obviously, as top-heavy as the conference was this year the teams at the top all finished on a high note. Ohio State won its last four games, Purdue had won seven in a row before a loss at Iowa on Saturday and Wisconsin was 8-2 over its last 10 games.

Michigan (won six of last eight) and Penn State (won four of last six) also go into the tournament with some momentum.

Teams that are not hot include Minnesota (lost nine of last 10), Indiana (lost last eight) and Michigan State (lost two of last three).

* The Big Ten is rated as the nation’s No. 2 conference in RPI, up from No. 5 a year ago. The Big Ten trails the 16-team Big East, but is ahead of the Big 12, Mountain West, ACC, SEC, Pac-10, Conference USA and the Atlantic 10.

As of Monday, both ESPN.com’s Joe Lunardi and CBSSports.com’s Jerry Palm have six Big Ten teams in the field for the expanded 68-team NCAA Tournament. They each have Ohio State (second in RPI), Purdue (eighth), Wisconsin (13th), Illinois (40th), Michigan State (50th) and Michigan (56th) in The Big Dance. They are each leaving Penn State (54th in RPI) out as of right now.

Prior to 2006, no team with an RPI of 33rd or higher had been denied an at-large bid since the field swelled to 64 in 1985. That changed in 2006, when the committee snubbed both Missouri State (21st in RPI) and Hofstra (30th). In 2007, Air Force (30th) was the only team in the top 35 that did not get in. In 2008, Dayton (32nd) and Illinois State (33rd) did not make the field from the RPI top 35. In 2009, San Diego State (34th) did not make it. Last year, Dayton (35th) was the top team in RPI to miss the field.

Over the last 14 years, Big Ten teams have typically felt good if they were in the top 50 in the final RPI rankings. In that time period, just three Big Ten teams have missed the field with a top-50 RPI. That was Michigan in 1997 (40th in RPI) and 2006 (47th) and Ohio State (49th) in 2008.

Only eight eligible Big Ten teams with winning conference records have been denied NCAA bids since 1985. They were Minnesota in 1995-96 (10-8), Minnesota in 2001-02 (9-7), Iowa in 2003-04 (9-7), Indiana in 2004-05 (10-6), Iowa in 2006-07 (9-7), Ohio State in 2007-08 (10-8), Penn State (10-8) in 2008-09 and Illinois (10-8) last year.

The NCAA has only taken five Big Ten teams with a sub-.500 record in Big Ten play. Those were Indiana in 1989-90 (8-10), Wisconsin (8-10) in 1993-94, Iowa and Penn State (both 7-9) in 2000-01 and Iowa in 2004-05 (7-9).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
Alright B10 tourney starts today. Place yer bets, place yer bets.

I'm going unconventional and saying that Illinois wakes up and takes it.

Boy that'd be nice. I'm going with Purdue over OSU. Illinois will look great against Michigan, and play well against OSU for 35 minutes before losing it, much like the prior two games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
You shouldn't be drinking before 11 AM Rock.

The Coors field thread did get me thirsty for Blue Moon.

I've got Illinois advancing past OSU due to foul trouble and a ridiculous game by DMAC