Steve9347

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
Trade CQ in the offseason.

He seriously tried to give that game away by himself. Horrible at bats, horrible defense, horrible game.

If it was up to me, in the 9th I would of pinch hit Manny for Carlos and then put Jones in for defense in the bottom of the inning. It worked out fine, but I didnt want him up there taking hacks, even at a pitcher that was obviously struggling

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Just remember guys.....Edwin Jackson isn't dominant. Afterall, Carlos Silva had a good month or two for the Cubs....

he looked pretty dominant so far.....give me whatever your havin :lolhitting

all that matters to me is he's getting the job done better than anyone else on our staff and it's at the right time of the year

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
Just remember guys.....Edwin Jackson isn't dominant. Afterall, Carlos Silva had a good month or two for the Cubs....

his ERA + was very good for the Cubs, but it topped at like 130, 30% better than an average pitcher, Edwin coming into tonight with 4 starts was 454, 354% better than an average pitcher... comparing apples to oranges...

not sure if this was meant to be in green, but who cares, I wanted to post how freaky EJax has been, even before tonight!

cst_sox:

Not hearing a whole lot from Phillip now about how Daniel Hudson was the savior and how could the Sox trade him. Where you at Phil?

less than a minute ago via web

I forgot, he's playing with his John Ely bobblehead doll.

Cowley is killing Phil Rogers...again...and it's spot -on

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
EJAX first 5 games on the Sox. Damn...

ejax.jpg

Edited by Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)

I think Jackson has been the definition of dominant with us.

His FIP is at 2.29 since joining the Sox. That's 1.4 WAR. 1.4 WAR over 5 starts, stretch that out over 30. You're talking 09 Zack Greinke.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Big Daddy Kool @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
cst_sox:

Not hearing a whole lot from Phillip now about how Daniel Hudson was the savior and how could the Sox trade him. Where you at Phil?

less than a minute ago via web

I forgot, he's playing with his John Ely bobblehead doll.

Cowley is killing Phil Rogers...again...and it's spot -on

Cowley shouldnt throw stones in glass houses

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
his ERA + was very good for the Cubs, but it topped at like 130, 30% better than an average pitcher, Edwin coming into tonight with 4 starts was 454, 354% better than an average pitcher... comparing apples to oranges...

not sure if this was meant to be in green, but who cares, I wanted to post how freaky EJax has been, even before tonight!

I am a fan of this stat.

I am also a fan of Manny having 3 RBI for the Sox without a plate appearance.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
I remember reading about Edwin Jackson when he was an untouchable, can't miss prospect in the Dodger system. It looks like that guy has finally made the big leagues, and he pitches for the Chicago White Sox. :notworthy

He had a fantastic first half for Detroit last year. His success hasn't come out of nowhere.

He must have a sign on his back that says "I like throwing too many pitches." Leyland had him throw too much (thus the second-half slide), then he threw 150 pitches in his no-hitter, now Ozzie (who is usually excellent on managing pitch counts) has him throw 130.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
he looked pretty dominant so far.....give me whatever your havin :lolhitting

all that matters to me is he's getting the job done better than anyone else on our staff and it's at the right time of the year

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
I think Jackson has been the definition of dominant with us.

His FIP is at 2.29 since joining the Sox. That's 1.4 WAR. 1.4 WAR over 5 starts, stretch that out over 30. You're talking 09 Zack Greinke.

My comment was in reference to the game thread last night where someone said something like "We have no dominant starters" and I said "Edwin Jackson and his POTY award say otherwise". Then 4 or 5 people starting commenting saying how bad he was in AZ, and how Carlos Silva started 8-0 for the Cubs, and other things disputing Edwin jackson being dominant for us.

I hate how people are still chiming in "For those who hated the deal look at Jackson now!" and all that crap. If you look at most of the arguments on this site, you will see it wasnt the fact we got Jackson, but the price we paid.

In fact, most people were intrigued by Jackson, and welcomed him to the team. That said, we paid a steep price for the value that Jackson held at the time, and without Hudson we have a very expensive starting rotation next year without any ready replacements if we decide to trade a starter.

If we kept Hudson and still got Jackson, we can go ahead and trade one of our starters, fill some holes, while still being 5 strong. IMO, and I know Im not a GM but looking at recent trends and the value of young, MLB starters with potential, I would say Hudson/Holmberg was too much for Jackson and no salary relief.

For those who use the NL excuse for Hudson's success thus far, then how do you explain such a steep price for a 5 era in the NL Jackson? Not to mention he really has had only a year and a half of success, and has struggled with every team he has been on.