Ho-hum. A 4 game win streak. - Sox vs. Sawks - 7:10p CSN

knightni

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
Watch us win out to not get a good draft pick.

>.

Nothing more f***ing annoying than that. I remember in 2002 it looked like we were on our way to a 90-loss season and at least a top 10 pick. Then the team, led by Joe Crede who went prime Scott Rolen in September, decides to after sucking all year go 22-12 in their last 34 games and finish up at 81-81. Therefore we ended up with the 18th pick and drafted the mythical Royce Ring.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)
Nothing more f***ing annoying than that. I remember in 2002 it looked like we were on our way to a 90-loss season and at least a top 10 pick. Then the team, led by Joe Crede who went prime Scott Rolen in September, decides to after sucking all year go 22-12 in their last 34 games and finish up at 81-81. Therefore we ended up with the 18th pick and drafted the mythical Royce Ring.

I don't mind when it's a player like Joe Crede leading the cause, because it shows the development of a player (even if Crede was rather mediocre for the next two seasons). If the Sox won out and Brent Morel hit 10 homers along the way, I would be perfectly fine with that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 26, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
I don't mind when it's a player like Joe Crede leading the cause, because it shows the development of a player (even if Crede was rather mediocre for the next two seasons). If the Sox won out and Brent Morel hit 10 homers along the way, I would be perfectly fine with that.

Ditto. And at this point, I think the top 15th pick is a lost cause. If the sox lost these last four games (or at least 3/4) we would had been, I believe.. tied or one game back for the top 15. (Detroit is playing just as good, and St. Louis just took 2/3 from the Cubs recently) Unless we lose every game, we are either picking 19th (most likely), or 18th.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 02:43 AM)
Ditto. And at this point, I think the top 15th pick is a lost cause. If the sox lost these last four games (or at least 3/4) we would had been, I believe.. tied or one game back for the top 15. (Detroit is playing just as good, and St. Louis just took 2/3 from the Cubs recently) Unless we lose every game, we are either picking 19th (most likely), or 18th.

Beyond that...once you get outside of the top 10 in most drafts, and especially outside of the top 15...it becomes more and more of a crapshoot on every pick.

The problem for the Sox wasn't that there weren't good players available. The problem for the Sox was that they picked an obviously crappy player.

15. Scott Kazmir

16. Nick Swisher

17. Cole Hamels

18. Royce Ring

19. James Loney

20. Denard Span

21 Bobby Browlie (good work Cubs)

22. Jeremy Guthrie

23. Jeff Francoeur

24. Joe Blanton

25. Matt Cain

26. John McCurdy (Good work Beane!)

27. Sergio Santos

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 06:31 AM)
Beyond that...once you get outside of the top 10 in most drafts, and especially outside of the top 15...it becomes more and more of a crapshoot on every pick.

The problem for the Sox wasn't that there weren't good players available. The problem for the Sox was that they picked an obviously crappy player.

Like I said before.. I can care less (as of right now) who the sox pick (and quite frankly.. their draft philosophy recently has been very good) it's the matter of getting an unprotected pick to at least "have an option" to help on Type A free agents this off-season.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
Like I said before.. I can care less (as of right now) who the sox pick (and quite frankly.. their draft philosophy recently has been very good) it's the matter of getting an unprotected pick to at least "have an option" to help on Type A free agents this off-season.

And it sure seems unlikely that's going to happen. We're not nearly that bad of a team, frankly.