2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Haters gonna hate.

I love this Bulls team. They have great personalities, great team players, and a great hometown superstar. I grew up with Jordan's Bulls... I was 8 when they won their first Championship. I didn't get to see them becoming great, they were just the great Bulls I loved to watch with little actual understanding of the greatness I was watching... the second three-peat I obviously understood the greatness, but had no way to appreciate it.

Being a huge Bulls fan, and a connoisseur of the NBA since Jordan left (and one of the many Bulls fans who suffered through the likes of E-Rob, Jalen Rose, Brent Barry etc, and got excited when our Curry/Chandler/Hinrich/Gordon team was good enough to finally make the playoffs)... this season has been a shockingly incredible surprise in a league that doesn't normally lend itself to surprises.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this run, and really enjoying the fact that the team is only improving as the season moves along. The Bulls have as good a chance as anyone to win the NBA Title just months after the Miami Heat were prematurely celebrating the NBA title.

Every game is a treat, and I recommend everyone sit back and enjoy the ride. This is a truly original storyline in NBA history. If this team does manage to win the Championship, it will unseat any of those Jordan teams in my eyes in terms of being MY team... if that makes any sense.

I'm happy that the Bulls are doing well this year, and they certainly are having a fantastic season. No one expected them to be this good this year, and it's been amazing to see. I'm really looking forward to their trip to Minnesota on Wednesday, if only because I think they're a really fun team to watch.

But none of this gives any reason at all why Rose is a better candidate for MVP than Howard. Rose is having a great season, and I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from that, but there is a very real, a very deserving case that can and should be made for Howard as MVP.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
I'm happy that the Bulls are doing well this year, and they certainly are having a fantastic season. No one expected them to be this good this year, and it's been amazing to see. I'm really looking forward to their trip to Minnesota on Wednesday, if only because I think they're a really fun team to watch.

But none of this gives any reason at all why Rose is a better candidate for MVP than Howard. Rose is having a great season, and I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from that, but there is a very real, a very deserving case that can and should be made for Howard as MVP.

Rose is the best player on the floor in every game the Bulls play. Best team, best player, MVP.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
Rose is the best player on the floor in every game the Bulls play. Best team, best player, MVP.

Except the fact that the Spurs are a better team than the Bulls by quite a bit. So why isn't Manu getting all the talk?

Of course, I think that logic is awful in the first place, but that's beside the point.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
Except the fact that the Spurs are a better team than the Bulls by quite a bit.

Well, sure, if you live in a fantasy land where Tim Duncan's injury doesn't exist, where they've looked good of recent, and where the Bulls didn't win the last meeting.

It seems like that post you just made ignores anything that's happened in March.

Whoops, my bad. Didn't realize we were only counting one month of play. I retract everything I have ever said.

The Bulls are a great team and have been the best team in basketball since the All-Star break. But Rose shouldn't be MVP just because his team is playing well when there are other candidates who are more statistically deserving on damn good teams too.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
Whoops, my bad. Didn't realize we were only counting one month of play. I retract everything I have ever said.

Dude. You said the Spurs were quite a bit better than the Bulls, which when fully healthy the Spurs lost to the Bulls, but the wheels have come off a bit in San Antonio is all I am saying. The Bulls are playing great ball and I have a hard time being told that any team is "quite a bit better" than them, because it's not true.

Seriously, watch the next national Bulls game before crafting an incorrect post like that.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
Except the fact that the Spurs are a better team than the Bulls by quite a bit.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
The Bulls are a great team and have been the best team in basketball since the All-Star break.

:unsure:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
:unsure:

I guess I worded that pretty s***ty. I think the Bulls have been better LATELY, but the Spurs have been the best team in the league OVERALL. Voting awards based on the final two months of play seems stupid to me, so I'd rather use the full season in those situations.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Haters gonna hate.

Is that kinda like homers are gonna be homers?

Huh? The Bulls are f***ing awesome and I'm going to enjoy it. I was the first to tell you if the Bulls weren't awesome, and I'd be the first to tell you if D-Rose wasn't legitimately running away with the MVP award.

Unfortunately for those posters who want to claim homerism on a Chicago board, in this case it just isn't fact. I have yet to see a game this season (and via at the United Center, live on television or via DVR I've watched all but maybe 4 or 5 games this year) where Derrick Rose was not the most valuable player on the court.

Is the MVP the player making the biggest difference to his team and "most valuable" or just the most talented player in basketball. If it's the former (my interpretation), then it's Derrick Rose in a landslide. If it's the latter, it's Lebron. I don't see where Dwight enters into the conversation... and it's just hard seeing the MVP award being dulled out to the best player on a team that keeps declining.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I guess I worded that pretty s***ty. I think the Bulls have been better LATELY, but the Spurs have been the best team in the league OVERALL. Voting awards based on the final two months of play seems stupid to me, so I'd rather use the full season in those situations.

Well, yeah, but D-Rose was being talked up as MVP prior to the ASB, and you said the Spurs are better by "quite a bit". You didn't even say "slightly better" or "might be better". So what you did was you typed without having any idea how the Spurs have been playing of late.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Is the MVP the player making the biggest difference to his team and "most valuable" or just the most talented player in basketball. If it's the former (my interpretation), then it's Derrick Rose in a landslide. If it's the latter, it's Lebron. I don't see where Dwight enters into the conversation... and it's just hard seeing the MVP award being dulled out to the best player on a team that keeps declining.

If it's the former, then I'm giving the nod to Dwight. He changes everything about the games Orlando plays. Their whole system is built around him offensively, and defensively he shuts off the paint from anyone on the other team. DBAH0 watches the Magic way more than I do, but every time I see them play, there's no doubt to me that Dwight significantly changes how both teams approach the game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
Well, yeah, but D-Rose was being talked up as MVP prior to the ASB, and you said the Spurs are better by "quite a bit". You didn't even say "slightly better" or "might be better". So what you did was you typed without having any idea how the Spurs have been playing of late.

Eh, I knew the Spurs had lost to some good teams lately, and I knew Duncan's injury meant little as he'd be back for the playoffs. Losing at Denver, at Miami and against the Lakers doesn't really tell me all that much, especially when factoring in a win at Dallas and at home vs Miami.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
If it's the former, then I'm giving the nod to Dwight. He changes everything about the games Orlando plays. Their whole system is built around him offensively, and defensively he shuts off the paint from anyone on the other team. DBAH0 watches the Magic way more than I do, but every time I see them play, there's no doubt to me that Dwight significantly changes how both teams approach the game.

How many Bulls games have you watched this year?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
How many Bulls games have you watched this year?

Probably about the same as I've watched the Magic.. 5 or 6 games?

I'm generally too busy watching a terrible team play instead :P

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
Probably about the same as I've watched the Magic.. 5 or 6 games?

I'm generally too busy watching a terrible team play instead :P

Which is why you are pointing to stats as an indicator of a deserving MVP candidate. Teams change their defense based on Rose just as much as Howard. In fact alot of teams will let Howard get his while just worrying about the other players. There is a reason that most of the star players and the greatest player of all time voiced their opinions in favor of Rose. Most likely because they've seen more than 5 games.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
Which is why you are pointing to stats as an indicator of a deserving MVP candidate. Teams change their defense based on Rose just as much as Howard. In fact alot of teams will let Howard get his while just worrying about the other players. There is a reason that most of the star players and the greatest player of all time voiced their opinions in favor of Rose. Most likely because they've seen more than 5 games.

Just like all those baseball purists that have vehemently defended Derek Jeter's defense over the years :P

Baseball is obviously a much more individually based game than basketball, but stats are there for a reason. There's no problem with supplementing what you see with statistical evidence, and the thought of ignoring them all together is just ridiculous IMO.

Also, Michael Jordan drafted Kwame Brown. There goes that point..

Edited by Felix

Such a silly conversation for someone who has watched nil Derrick Rose this season to be chiming in so loudly about him and the Bulls. At least when I craft my educated response on Kevin Love, that's got a lot of meat behind it because I watch a lot of NBA Gametime and any late games that are on that network.

Seriously, Felix, that's all just weak sauce from you, bro.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
Just like all those baseball purists that have vehemently defended Derek Jeter's defense over the years :P

Baseball is obviously a much more individually based game than basketball, but stats are there for a reason. There's no problem with supplementing what you see with statistical evidence, and the thought of ignoring them all together is just ridiculous IMO.

Also, Michael Jordan drafted Kwame Brown. There goes that point..

LOL, baseball analogies and Kwame Brown in the same post?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
Such a silly conversation for someone who has watched nil Derrick Rose this season to be chiming in so loudly about him and the Bulls. At least when I craft my educated response on Kevin Love, that's got a lot of meat behind it because I watch a lot of NBA Gametime and any late games that are on that network.

Seriously, Felix, that's all just weak sauce from you, bro.

I've watched plenty of Bulls highlights, but tend to avoid significant parts of real-time games as I get my fill with Wolves games. Only reason I've chimed in on this (or just about any other non-Wolves related topic) is because there's only one other non-Bull fan that frequents these parts, and someone has to be the devil's advocate. Dwight is having a hell of a season and deserves much more credit than he gets from the regulars in this thread and the national media. I think a strong case can be made for him as MVP, and obviously no one else was going to make it in here (save for DBAH0).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
LOL, baseball analogies and Kwame Brown in the same post?

The point is that people who play or have played the game are often too close to it to really analyze it without a certain bias. That's true in any sport and any league. The Kwame Brown bit was a joke than more than anything.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
The point is that people who play or have played the game are often too close to it to really analyze it without a certain bias. That's true in any sport and any league. The Kwame Brown bit was a joke than more than anything.

I know, we should definitely respect the opinion of someone who hasnt even watched 10 percent of the guy's games instead. MUCH better sample size to analyze.

I think Felix put it correctly when he said the board needs a "contrarian" and he's playing that role. Hopefully he'll tune into some Bulls games soon to see why we all think he's the MVP, but beyond that if he's not going to be swayed by our arguments it's no big deal. It's good discussion.