Trade Candidates for Kenny this offseason

macsandz

I really think Danks is the one to trade. He's lefty, about to become expensive and we have Sale waiting behind him. I think he has way more value than Floyd simply by being lefty and good. Lefty starting pitching is our area of excess.

If Kemp is the one you're after, I think Danks for Kemp straight up is pretty close.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
You don't trade your strength to fill some other need. There are other ways to improve the team rather than trade away our starting pitching or good talent like Quentin. I am not sure this team needs any major overhaul anyway as long as we can re sign the leaders that may go to free agency. The bullpen is where I see the major need

There are only three ways to acquire talent:

--Sign free agents

--Trades

--Develop internally

Developing internally has been a weakness for the Sox for a while, though there has been recent improvement... but that takes years to get up to speed. Signing expensive free agents is problematic for a team with an already high committed payroll. That leaves trades. And how do you propose to improve the team without trading away some talent? You can't ship a dozen Lillibridge types and get one really good player, it doesn't work that way.

Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, Danks, Jackson, Sale... plus maybe Garcia, and maybe Pena... that's 6 to 8 major league starters. Most teams in baseball are happy to have 4 real major league quality starters, 5 is great. It makes absolute sense for the Sox to trade from a position of depth to improve in places where there isn't depth, or even anyone at all who is up to the level of play the need to be,

I am all about trading one of Floyd or Danks for the right deal, and I think its the best way for the Sox to improve the team. Young, cheap, solid starting pitching is the most valuable general commodity in baseball. So when you have the rare chance to move one of those and still have a strong rotation, to get a major improvement at another position... you do it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)
Wow, I didnt see that AJP is a type A free agent this year. I would like to offer he and Konerko arbitration and either bring them back (not likely) or get some nice draft picks. I wonder what AJ would make in arb after this s***ty year.

Wouldn't he get more then he made this season? He made 6.75 million this season (according to baseball-reference), can't see him getting that in free agency.

I think he'll be back if we offer arbitration.

Edited by bschmaranz

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
I really think Danks is the one to trade. He's lefty, about to become expensive and we have Sale waiting behind him. I think he has way more value than Floyd simply by being lefty and good. Lefty starting pitching is our area of excess.

If Kemp is the one you're after, I think Danks for Kemp straight up is pretty close.

I really don't understand why people are so hell bent on spending a ton to get Matt Kemp. He really seems to be the type of player that you are going to get for a good deal or you are going to have to overpay a ridiculous amount to get, and the Sox are obviously not in a position to overpay. Thus, I don't understand why people want to deal Danks or Floyd for him.

Beyond that, I also think if you are dealing Danks or Floyd right now, you need to look to acquire 2-3 good players, not 1 potentially great player. The Sox have quite a few holes throughout the team and finding cheap replacements for a few of those guys would not be a bad thing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
I really don't understand why people are so hell bent on spending a ton to get Matt Kemp. He really seems to be the type of player that you are going to get for a good deal or you are going to have to overpay a ridiculous amount to get, and the Sox are obviously not in a position to overpay. Thus, I don't understand why people want to deal Danks or Floyd for him.

Beyond that, I also think if you are dealing Danks or Floyd right now, you need to look to acquire 2-3 good players, not 1 potentially great player. The Sox have quite a few holes throughout the team and finding cheap replacements for a few of those guys would not be a bad thing.

Agreed. If I'm trading Floyd or Danks I'm getting a #3 or #4 hitter that I have control of for 2-3 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
A guy that I think fits Kenny's M.O. very well and might be, at least under the radar, on the trade block...Billy Butler from the Royals. KW knows the Royals well, he's a guy who's beaten us before, he isn't hugely expensive, he has some limitations that would keep him from being a big cost guy, he tentatively fills one of those 1b/DH roles with a guy who should give around an .850 OPS, and he's blocking 2 of the Royals young guys (Kila Ka'aihue and Eric Hosmer, who has a shot to arrive this year).

We will be looking for the LH bat this off season. I don't see Kotsay back and maybe Teahan becomes trade bait?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Wow, I didnt see that AJP is a type A free agent this year. I would like to offer he and Konerko arbitration and either bring them back (not likely) or get some nice draft picks. I wonder what AJ would make in arb after this s***ty year.

It is likely IMO that they both will be back with the Sox and well they should be. If they are not I see this team at 3rd or 4th place next year in the AL Central

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
We will be looking for the LH bat this off season. I don't see Kotsay back and maybe Teahan becomes trade bait?

No one is trading for Teahen, he's an overpaid utility guy. Only way he moves is a bad deal for bad deal scenario, because the Sox historically do not ship money out with players in trades. At this point, he's very useful as a utility player (RF, 1B, 3B, DH, maybe LF) with a decent LH bat, so you really just have to move on and use him in that role.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
Gavin is under the Sox's control through the end of 2013 if they pick up a team option.

Edwin Jackson could be on the block...but his value is not "boosted" even by a good end of the season. He's a guy who has been dumped by 3 teams in the space of 2 years, who is 1 year away from Free Agency and a Boras guy. He can't be expected to help a team long-term, he's already not cheap, and his pitching record the last 2 years is at best described as inconsistent. Put it this way...why do you want to be the team picking up a guy that 4 teams dumped in 2 years?

They might try to trade Jackson, but they're not getting anything of serious use for him. It's a salary dump.

Is dumped really the proper terminology? Wasn't he traded essentially for Max Scherzer? Scherzer being the power pitcher (whose arm might explode) that was one of the best pitchers coming out the year he was drafted in the 1st round?

I do agree that the Tigers did pick him up for very little via the Rays though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
Is dumped really the proper terminology? Wasn't he traded essentially for Max Scherzer? Scherzer being the power pitcher (whose arm might explode) that was one of the best pitchers coming out the year he was drafted in the 1st round?

I do agree that the Tigers did pick him up for very little via the Rays though.

Yes, he was traded for Scherzer, and yes, that was a good deal for the Tigers. That was prior to his 2010 season. That was prior to him struggling for the first 2/3 of 2010. That was when he was 2 years away from Free Agency instead of 1. That was when his total salary was $4.6 million, not $8.3 million as it is next year. And that was before yet another team gave up on him mid-season.

He was cheaper, under control for longer, and coming off a better year at the time that deal was made. So yeah, the D-backs gave up more for him. If they hadn't managed to turn Jackson into a talented youngster, would you doubt that the D-Backs would want to take that deal back?

Yeah, I'd call that a salary dump style deal if the Sox got rid of him now. I wouldn't have traded a Daniel Hudson for him in July, and now that I can't even say "but he's helping in a pennant race" there's no way I'd give up a decent pitching prospect for him today.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
Nobody wants Flowers. His stock fell hard this year.

Also, most of the guys on your list are under control at a very cheap price for a few years still by their teams. If Kenny called the Dodgers and offered a package Floyd, Quentin Jackson, and Flowers he would get hung up on.

I dont even want Flowers on my softball team...his swing is soooooo loopy long. He reminds me of Josh "cant cover the fastball" Fields.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
Quentin for Adam Lind?

Lind has shown that he cannot hit LHP to save his life. If you trade Quentin you need a better bat, a better asset. Quentin, to spite his struggles, is still a quality asset who can and probably go big if he stays healthy all year.

if everyone is looking for a decent LH bat to add to our lineup, what about approaching the Orioles about Luke Scott?

He would come much more cheaply than the Princes, Lind's, etc. of the world. and his splits against lefties aren't too bad. Can play OF and 1st. plus he destroys righties.

I think he'd be a nice left handed addition that can be had for a few nice prospects (Morel, Santeliz, and an A ball type?).

Also, we will probably offer AJP and Konerkos decent 2-3 year deals. I doubt we get as far as offering them arbitration. KW acknowledges what he has in both and how vital they are to us competing. Regardless of the state of our farm this would be the right move. KW wants to compete every year and risking either of them walking would be a setback.

Personally I'd be a fan of getting giving Chone Figgins a go. Offer the Mariners a decent prospect (Flowers?) to take him off their hands and I bet they bite cuz of that contract and the state of their squad (they committed too much money... i know cuz its all they talk about here in the northwest...). Stick Figgy at 3rd where he plays great D and bat him and pierre 1-2. If Figgins struggles in the 2 hole move becks or alexei up to 2 and drop figgy to 9th where he can be a second leadoff. and expensive option yes, but one that certainly would yield better results than POS Teahan... Not to mention his speed would fit fantastically on this team

Then, without having to make any big trades, we roll into next year with what looks like a nice lineup and staff:

LF - Pierre

3b - Figgins

CF - Rios

1b - Konerks

RF - Scott

DH - Quentin

C AJP

2b Becks

SS - Ramirez

SPs - Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Peavs, Edwin

RP - Jenks, Santos, Thornton, Sale?, TBD?

Maybe not better than the Twins, but one that certainly can compete in the Central

Edited by Fantl916

I don't see Edwin on that list as much as many of you guys would like him to be. I think Kenny wants to see a stud pitching staff. If anyone is traded on that staff, it's going to be Danks and it's because he has the most value(he's cheaper than Peavy, he's a very good pitcher, and he doesn't want to sign an extension for cheap). It's almost a no duh move.

Peavy

Buehrle

Jackson

Floyd

Sale

That's a very nice rotation. As far as hitting, BJ will be on the radar. Kemp sounds like a KW type move, but the Dodgers don't want to move him yet. Butler is actually a very good guess. Very good numbers for a guy with no protection in his lineup. He has decent pop which can turn good in US Cellular. He's actually a guy who doesn't just kill the Sox, but he's a good overall ballplayer.

I think Teahan ends up as a utility player. Sox end up keeping PK. CQ is going to be shopped. I can see the Sox bringing back Uribe. AJ will probably stay. Honestly, even if KW tries to, I don't see him rocking the boat all that much. But he'll be hell bent on getting his LH power bat.

Russell Martin interests me as a FA if he is non-tendered. Haven't seen him play in a few years but his value has plummeted and he brings about as much as AJ does to the table (pretty equal WAR) and has the potential to be alot better while being younger.

If anyone has actually seen him or knows whats up with his half-freefall recently would be glad to get an update.

He also has the same first name as me so he has that going for him :headbang