Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
Recruiters that have spoken to business organizations here at U of I have mentioned that there could be some concerns over people "hiding" their personal life, but most of the younger generation recruiters know this is commonplace now and dont worry about it. But to say that no recruiter would think twice about it would be silly, just because there are some stupid recruiters out there.

One thing I learned, is that all that s*** business recruiters told me in college was pretty much the opposite of what to do. I was given TERRIBLE advice consistently.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Management that I work with would prefer that people keep their facebook private in order to protect the company.

EDIT: And when I'm hiring someone I prefer that their social media sites are private.

I wholly agree, but you know how some people think....

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I wholly agree, but you know how some people think....

Eh, each one is going to be different. The things that piss some off, are exactly what others want to see. The most important thing is to know the personality of your field. Things are acceptable and even preferable in my industry would get you fired in many others.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
Eh, each one is going to be different. The things that piss some off, are exactly what others want to see. The most important thing is to know the personality of your field. Things are acceptable and even preferable in my industry would get you fired in many others.

That's an excellent point. I'm looking at this from a corporate accounting/finance lens.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
That's an excellent point. I'm looking at this from a corporate accounting/finance lens.

Yeah, in the trading industry, having a strong and very outgoing personality is very important because you are going to be dealing with very intimidating people at times. The ability to argue is actually important instead of a bad thing like in many other places. But like I said, it is all relative to what you are trying to do.

I had a job interview yesterday. I thought it went well. Should know if I am getting an offer, or not, today. But I wanted to share a little advice I have learned.

This whole experience has a been a really great learning experience. After each interview (I have had 5 so far), I feel more confident, less nervous, and better prepared. I have learned what to say, and when to not share too much (aka SHUTUP! lol) I have seen commonalities in questions that are asked, so each time I have better and better responses. My advice is to take every chance you have to interview for a position. I dont care if you dont think you would take the job, just do it. It's worth your time.

Just got a call from a university I interviewed with several months ago, but was not chosen for the position. The head of that search committee called me to tell me another position had opened up, and that I should take a look and see if I am interested. Very interesting development...

In my previous interview process, I got the impress I was the "runner up", at the least finished 3rd. So, this is a good thing that he went out of his way to tell me I should look at it.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
I had a job interview yesterday. I thought it went well. Should know if I am getting an offer, or not, today. But I wanted to share a little advice I have learned.

This whole experience has a been a really great learning experience. After each interview (I have had 5 so far), I feel more confident, less nervous, and better prepared. I have learned what to say, and when to not share too much (aka SHUTUP! lol) I have seen commonalities in questions that are asked, so each time I have better and better responses. My advice is to take every chance you have to interview for a position. I dont care if you dont think you would take the job, just do it. It's worth your time.

For sure. With each interview you get more comfortable and can refine your answers.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Does anyone live in San Francisco on this board? (Bay area, i should say)

I don't live there...but I went out there last October...what an awesome city....expensive, but so much culture and diversity and progressive thinking...it would absolutely be one of my top 5 cities to move to if the money was right.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
For sure. With each interview you get more comfortable and can refine your answers.

I was never able to come up with a good way to say "I am horribly underpaid and I want more money" when they asked me why I wanted to leave my current job.

I'm pretty sure I blew one interview because of it. I had actually gone through 3 people already but the last guy I talked with seemed stuck on the question. I couldn't come up with anything because I actually really liked my job. I was just horribly underpaid.

Luckily I don't have to worry about that anymore. Now I can just say I want a shorter commute.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
I was never able to come up with a good way to say "I am horribly underpaid and I want more money" when they asked me why I wanted to leave my current job.

There is no right way to use that excuse. You just have to come up with other reasons for wanting to move on.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
I don't live there...but I went out there last October...what an awesome city....expensive, but so much culture and diversity and progressive thinking...it would absolutely be one of my top 5 cities to move to if the money was right.

It's easily my favorite city in the continental 48.

I always say something along the lines of "I decided I have reached the limit of how I could grow professionally where I am"

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
I always say something along the lines of "I decided I have reached the limit of how I could grow professionally where I am"

That's a pretty good answer...I usually say something along those lines...but I change professionally to sexually...

;)

Luckily I don't have to worry about that anymore. Now I can just say I want a shorter commute.

After rereading this I'm not sure that I'd even say that. It might come off as "this guy might leave us for something as trivial as shaving 15 minutes off his commute".

Edited by BigSqwert